Talk

Advanced search

To wish people would not say disinterested when they mean uninterested. It is confusing!

(46 Posts)
pennyred Thu 18-Dec-14 23:47:58

Disinterested means "impartial" or "not taking sides." (In other words, not having a personal interest at stake.)

Uninterested means "not interested." (In other words, not showing any interest.)

If we merge the two, then bits of Dickens will stop making sense! I am unusually irked by this.

Theboodythatrocked Thu 18-Dec-14 23:49:29

I suggest wine and a sleep!

pennyred Thu 18-Dec-14 23:51:44

You may have a point, theboody, I am a touch overwraught grin

Tobyjugg Thu 18-Dec-14 23:54:42

With me it's "implied" and "inferred".

moonrocket Fri 19-Dec-14 00:02:31

Or overwrought perhaps?

grin

I get you!

MardyBra Fri 19-Dec-14 00:03:56

I take my cue from the overall posting. If the poster uses "could of", "hun", "me + someone" as the subject of a verb, or misuses "myself", I assume that they don't know the difference.

RattieBagTheOldHag Fri 19-Dec-14 00:20:57

Well, that could of been myself that did that. Coz I'm like totally disinterested in how to spell stuff.

TooHasty Fri 19-Dec-14 00:28:57

Well the Cambridge dictionary agrees with you, but the Oxford dictionary and Merriam Webster don't.

DupontetDupond Fri 19-Dec-14 00:38:29

Being unusually irked by poor English usage / grammar is a cross some have to bear.

Have this to cheer you up

youtu.be/c3y0CD2CoCs

AWholeLottaNosy Fri 19-Dec-14 00:46:01

Bugs me too! That video was hillarious...

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 19-Dec-14 00:48:48

YADNBU OP.

Bulbasaur Fri 19-Dec-14 04:08:31

I hate it when people on here use "pedant" or "pedantic" when they really mean they're just anal retentive.

It might interest you to know that "disinterested" has two meanings:

1. not influenced by considerations of personal advantage.
"a banker is under an obligation to give disinterested advice"

2.having or feeling no interest in something.
"her father was so disinterested in her progress that he only visited the school once"

So technically... they're not using the word incorrectly as they can be interchangeable. smile

Andrewofgg Fri 19-Dec-14 05:23:58

The second meaning is a recent usage and duplicates uninterested.

OP you are right but you are pissing into the wind.

fascicle Fri 19-Dec-14 06:45:33

pennyred Do you also have strong feelings about the usage of 'agnostic' and 'atheist'? grin

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 19-Dec-14 06:54:09

It's terrible people saying they are the same.

The OED should be ashamed wink

pennyred Fri 19-Dec-14 10:13:22

Ha, yes moon and Rattie I'm not so fussy about spelling, clearly grin

Brilliant, Dupont.

I realise that meanings change over time, but I think in this case it's a shame as the distinction worked quite neatly.

fascicle I have never noticed a problem with those words, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have strong feelings about them if pressed grin

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Fri 19-Dec-14 10:15:25

Antisocial does not mean you don't like going to parties!

TheOriginalSteamingNit Fri 19-Dec-14 10:18:02

Agree - and 'ambivalent' doesn't mean you don't care much either way, either!

SunnyBaudelaire Fri 19-Dec-14 10:19:51

FWI it is something that bothers me too, along with discreet and discrete.

RattieBagTheOldHag Fri 19-Dec-14 10:20:10

My DH gets mad whenever he hears someone use the word decimated incorrectly. He says it means a loss of ten percent because, apparently, that is what is used to mean. I tell him he needs to get with the times and if he wants to speak 'ye olde worlde' could he at least let me know what centuries lingo I should use.

He is a linguist to be fair and I repeatedly got a D in my O'Level English. blush

SunnyBaudelaire Fri 19-Dec-14 10:21:27

no it means reduced by 9/10ths rattie, I think you should pull him up on this one.

fascicle Fri 19-Dec-14 10:54:28

How interesting. It appears that from a historical point of view, Rattie's husband is right:

www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/decimate

The meaning/usage of that word has certainly shifted significantly over time.

MaidOfStars Fri 19-Dec-14 11:01:03

TheWoman YY, mixing up 'antisocial' and 'unsociable' winds me up. My husband doesn't like parties (unsociable), he doesn't go to them and piss on the Christmas tree (antisocial).

SunnyBaudelaire Fri 19-Dec-14 11:01:27

well well i stand corrected, fair play to Mr Rattie

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 19-Dec-14 11:06:53

OP, I agree.

My other bugbears are discrete and discreet, and people not being able to spell misogynist. One day I will flip and start a thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now