Talk

Advanced search

To think I cannot wrap all presents for the ILs in 90 minutes

(37 Posts)
manchestermummy Thu 18-Dec-14 11:58:03

I have this afternoon off work. By the time I get home and have my lunch, I will have 90 minutes before I need to get the DC from school as I'm taking them somewhere this afternoon.

DH has requested that I wrap ALL his family presents in that time: several boxes of biccies; wine (which to be fair just needs bagging but because he nicked one for an unexpected present I am now short); five childrens' presents; his sister's gifts.

I haven't had any time to replenish wrap/ribbon etc. That's was tomorrow's job when I have the whole day at my disposal.

He took the day off the other week to "clear out the garage" but actually spent the day drinking tea watching Netflix. Which is absolutely okay by me (the garage was done at the weekend in the end) as we all need time to ourselves.

He just wants to avoid bothering taking these gifts to his very local family and as he's seeing him mum tonight, has decided presents are to go to hers later.

I'm cross.

He's not normally this thoughtless but 90 minutes!!! That's IT. I was intending to drink tea and watch Netflix, thank you very much.

fangry

TeWiSavesTheDay Thu 18-Dec-14 11:59:31

Don't do it.

He's not the boss of you.

arlagirl Thu 18-Dec-14 11:59:49

Why are you wrapping his family's gifts?
But yes I could do that in an hour

HalfATankini Thu 18-Dec-14 11:59:51

Well don't do it then. Just tell him you're doing it tomorrow and he'll have to take them another day.

Fudgeface123 Thu 18-Dec-14 12:01:02

Tell him to do it himself!

Goingintohibernation Thu 18-Dec-14 12:01:20

I'm fairly sure you could do it in that time, but why the hell should you? Enjoy your tea and Netflix!

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Thu 18-Dec-14 12:01:33

So tell him no?
It is not down to you to do it all. For the last 10 years I have wrapped every gift that has entered this house. This year I said I am not able to do them all myself, and do you know what? DH has done 50%, and done them very well.
So tell your DH to crack on with them.

plinkyplonks Thu 18-Dec-14 12:03:57

I wrapped all the Christmas presents for his and my family in under an hour :/ Don't think it's impossible

Real issue is husband organising your time ;)

VitalStollenFix Thu 18-Dec-14 12:05:15

Why hasn't he wrapped the gifts for his relatives?

tell him to naff off and do it himself!

manchestermummy Thu 18-Dec-14 12:08:19

Oh believe, I'm not doing it. I am also going to eat the last mince pie when I get home to sit on my backside.

I curl ribbon etc. and there are about 20 presents. Irregularly shaped. I am clearly not very good at it!

I need that elf from "Arthur Christmas" to come to my rescue.

NotYouNaanBread Thu 18-Dec-14 12:10:15

Just say no.

90 mins is ample to wrap all that, but not if you have to restock your wrapping paper and ribbon during that time too.

manchestermummy Thu 18-Dec-14 12:16:33

It's times like this when I am thankful that my only family (aside from DH and the DC) are my parents, who are happy with vouchers.

YoullLikeItNotaLot Thu 18-Dec-14 12:17:48

I could wrap that in 90mins. I would just to a basic wrap though and only add ribbons etc once everything was wrapped.

I wrap my husband's relatives' presents. He untagles the Christmas lights and has taken my nan to the garden ecntre for her tree. Not everything has to split down the middle.

I'd just see it as doing him a favout to be honest.

3bunnies Thu 18-Dec-14 12:18:39

Another man who still believes in the wrapping fairy! IF you wanted to you could buy more wrapping stuff so he can do it later. Why not get the whole family wrapping later on. It might not be perfect but I now get my primary school children to wrap their friends' presents now. If there are four of you wrapping it will be much quicker.

Pickitup Thu 18-Dec-14 12:23:57

You shouldnt have to do it.
End of.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 18-Dec-14 12:26:54

That wouldn't take me 90 mins!you can do it while watching TV and having a cuppa.

Not a big deal imo and one of the mire enjoyable chores!

ZenNudist Thu 18-Dec-14 12:30:14

I could easily wrap a load of presents in that time but why should you? Good to see you're taking a stand (or a sit down!). No matter how easy a task I really object to women taking on all the responsibility for gift shopping and wrapping.

What's he doing about the Christmas chores?

PicaK Thu 18-Dec-14 12:30:57

It's not actually possible in that time. Say no.

MiaowTheCat Thu 18-Dec-14 13:09:07

Obligingly shaped presents with pre-written gift tags... could bang out in that time no problem - and I usually do DH's on those conditions because I don't mind present wrapping and he makes such a fucking hash of it he'll use an entire roll of paper to wrap a marble.

If you don't WANT to do it though - he can sod off.

RegTheMonkey1 Thu 18-Dec-14 13:21:13

Bags of time! However in our house husband wraps the presents for his parents.

canweseethebunnies Thu 18-Dec-14 13:28:39

If it takes you that long, you probably put a lot of effort into wrapping.

Don't do it. I bet you bought them all as well? I think my dp is hoping to get away with this kind of shit, but I'm not playing. He is responsible for choosing, buying and wrapping his own family's presents as far as I'm concerned.

CuttingOutTheCrap Thu 18-Dec-14 13:29:25

Could do it in that time, even faster if you just bung the lot into gift bags! Or relax and let dh do it if you're not happy to

coppertop Thu 18-Dec-14 13:34:09

Arrange the gift tags neatly on a flat surface to spell the words "sod" and "off".

5Foot5 Thu 18-Dec-14 13:42:16

Not sure I could wrap 20 irregularly shaped presents in 90 minutes. Possibly I could but it would be a very close run thing. I must have taken that long the other nigt to wrap 6 or 7 for DH - mind you I did the whole curly ribbon / little rosette / ribbon round the parcel swear at the bastard sellotape that kept healing up so I couldn't find the end thing.

YANBU. Tell him to wrap them himself. May be when he realises how time-consuming it can be he will be a bit more thoughtful about it another year.

And invest in a sellotape dispenser

MsAspreyDiamonds Thu 18-Dec-14 14:31:59

Why couldn't he have watched netflix & wrapped the gifts! Don't do it otherwise you will be lumbered with this job for the rest of your life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now