Talk

Advanced search

What do you think about expensive prizes for attendance?

(146 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 18-Dec-14 11:25:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChunkyPickle Thu 18-Dec-14 11:31:18

Hate it, can so easily be scuppered by something that the child has no control over.

Prizes should be for things that the kids can control and that many of them have a chance to actually get - not just top scores (although those should be celebrated) but also behaviour, improvement, kindness etc.

It also means that a kid that's got something will be under pressure to go in and infect other kids rather than stay home as they should.

I was a school refuser, and big prizes for attendance wouldn't have swayed me - in fact they would just re-enforced my 'screw you' attitude to the school.

Altinkum Thu 18-Dec-14 11:33:07

TooHasty Thu 18-Dec-14 11:33:40

I don't know , but it pisses me off royally .These people who never have a day off sick, are disrupting my DD1s education.She catches everything going, badly.Her classmates are coming in with tales of being sick the night before, with temperatures, streaming colds sneezing everywhere, hacking chesty coughs.Then they give it to the other kids or the teachers who are off and can't teach them

ChunkyPickle Thu 18-Dec-14 11:38:33

Really Altinkum? How about awards for the tallest, the longest eyelashes, or the smallest feet? More things that are out of the kids control, but for which you could have a clear winner.

The kids with 100% attendance got there by having parents that get them there to school on time, and by being lucky enough to stay fit and healthy - luck, not effort.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 18-Dec-14 11:38:43

OwlBeGoingToBethlehem Thu 18-Dec-14 11:38:48

I think all awards for attendance are bad due to the reasons stated above.
There's a sickness bug going around my DD's school at the moment. I have to wonder how many kids are coming back before they should for the sake of a prize/certificate at the end of the school year so therefore spreading it to other children!

fragola Thu 18-Dec-14 11:41:36

I think it's awful. Children have no control over being ill or having family issues. It's a pointless and mean award.

campingfilth Thu 18-Dec-14 11:41:37

I despise rewards for attendance. Some kids get sick and I feel it is unfair to make them feel bad about it plus it encourages kids who are sick to attend school and spread germs around.

BoomBoomsCousin Thu 18-Dec-14 11:53:06

YANBU

Attendance isn't as out of control of a secondary school child as something like their height. While there are many life issues that affect attendance that a child has no or little control over, there is a significant amount they can do. From not playing hooky or making the effort to go in when they feel less than prfect but can actually study, to putting pressure on their parents to not book a holiday in term time. At that age the school should be trying to inculcate a sense of commitment, perseverence and resilience in the child, so working on them directly doesn't seem unreasonable.

However what you describe is unlikely to do that. Using some single attendence percentage for all children is only going to work (if at all - research into the impact of prize incentives is not encouraging) on those who have a possibility of hitting that target and will be detrimental to those who don't have that possibility. If they are going to use prize incentives they need to have individual targets for children which take their individual circumstances into account.

TooHasty Thu 18-Dec-14 11:57:46

Attendance isn't as out of control of a secondary school child as something like their height

wrong!

TooHasty Thu 18-Dec-14 11:59:50

the children... who get high attendance, they should be awarded.

what are they doing to be rewarded for, sorry , I don't understand?

kim147 Thu 18-Dec-14 12:01:06

Olivo Thu 18-Dec-14 12:03:11

We give certificates for excellent attendance but that doesn't mean. 100 per cent. Our other prizes vary I. Order to be inclusive. - so some are based on achievement, some on commitment ( good behaviour and effort rather than top grades) and some on the best improvers. Whilst good attendance needs to be encouraged, parents sending sick children in for to us to deal with is detrimental to all sorts of things!

kim147 Thu 18-Dec-14 12:04:16

superbagpuss Thu 18-Dec-14 12:07:17

I used to reguarly get the 100% attendence award at school (I much preferred being at school) but all I got was a certificate (which I probably still have somewhere) but then I try and get 100% attendance at work too and hate being off.

Micah Thu 18-Dec-14 12:07:38

I hate it too. Especially the 100% attendance thing. Kids can't help being ill, or falling and breaking an arm, or going to granddads funeral, why punish them by taking away rewards too?

Either make it 95% attendance, or 100% after allowing genuine, authorised absence, including say 5 days per year for coughs and colds.

massive prizes like in the o/p is ridiculous. Where does the budget come from? Books? Pencils? TA salary?

After all these schools are insisting we keep kids off 48 hrs after a bout of vomiting or diarrhoea, even if it's not likely to be due to infectious disease (dc2 vomits very easily due to reflux legacy, and would never be there!). Can't have it both ways!

Micah Thu 18-Dec-14 12:08:57

And also what Kim said!

bubalou Thu 18-Dec-14 12:16:09

Prized for attendance = bullshit! confused

Why reward children for something they have literally no control over - why not use these prizes for most helpful, most improved, best behaved etc.

Doesn't always have to be the kids with top grades either - ones that put in most effort etc.

Hatespiders Thu 18-Dec-14 12:18:14

It's daft to reward children for not being ill. Who has any control over that?
Our neighbours' little girl has a lot of illness. It's quite genuine and very difficult for her and her mum. Why should she be out of the running because of this? Not fair and YANBU.

Lima1 Thu 18-Dec-14 12:20:33

In my kids primary schools they just get a certificate at the end of each term signed by the school and one at the end of the year from the department. My DD is in her 3rd year of school and hasnt missed a day, DS1 is in his first and hasnt missed a day either. I dont send them into school sick, they just dont seem to get sick or when they do its on term breaks.

I dont like the idea of prizes as it isnt fair on the kids who for whatever reason miss school. I think with a certificate, it is a nice acknowledgment for the child who gets it, but isnt going to feel like a punishment for the kids who dont.

My DH has never missed a day off work in 17 years and gets a �100 voucher at the end of the year in for having not missed a day.

wanttosqueezeyou Thu 18-Dec-14 12:21:27

I think its wrong to reward children (or adults) for
- going in when they're sick
- being lucky enough to have good health/have avoided the bugs.

Fucking ridiculous.

I also wonder where the money comes from for the expensive awards (or trips as is the case at my school)

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 18-Dec-14 12:21:32

RunningAwayFromMyMind Thu 18-Dec-14 12:21:39

My DD got a £5 WH Smith voucher and a certificate for 100% attendance, She was over the moon at this. (She is in secondary school) The other children were not so bothered about 'losing' out

NurseRoscoe Thu 18-Dec-14 12:22:04

So they are rewarding children for managing not to catch any sort of illness, not to be born with health problems that involve medical intervention etc, or rewarding them for having parents who are able and willing to get up and get them to school every day.

All of those things are reward enough without giving them expensive presents as well. Reward all children who try hard and achieve both educationally and personally DESPITE what life may have thrown at them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now