Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that sellers market toys as 'girls' or 'boys' toys

(9 Posts)
iwantaginsoakedXmas Thu 18-Dec-14 09:48:30

On the local fb selling page there are a bunch of toys listed as being Boys Toys. There is a selection: A talking T om, a robot dog, Marble Mountain and some other items.

Could girls not play with those? I commented that they could be suitable for girls also.

I thought we were in 2014 and DC could play with any toys nowadays - or am I mistaken ?

Burke1 Thu 18-Dec-14 09:53:14

They can play with any toys, you're not being banned from buying them. Think it's just saying that it's what would traditionally be seen as boys toys although girls are probably just as welcome to buy them. If they were refusing to sell them to parents who said they were for a daughter that would be a different story however.

EatShitDerek Thu 18-Dec-14 09:54:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HazleNutt Thu 18-Dec-14 09:56:15

you want to check out Let Toys be Toys campaign.

But I bet you will get tons of people here saying it doesn't matter and it makes shopping easier. Because obviously, if you're looking for Legos (except for Friends) or dinosaurs, you should know to look under boys' toys.. hmm

anothernumberone Thu 18-Dec-14 10:02:43

I agree with you OP and the pinkification. I ignore them all though my dd2 loves blue everything had to be blue for her. My ds has 2 big sisters so he plays with tonnes of their old toys lives Sylvanian families and baby dolls. I think because of the culture going on around us it is good if we as parents try to minimise the impact it has within the house.

DoraGora Thu 18-Dec-14 10:05:46

My daughter identifies boys toys and moves around them.

PortofinoVino Thu 18-Dec-14 11:12:07

This has been done to death, OP - over and over and over again.

youareallbonkers Thu 18-Dec-14 11:23:07

so don't shop with them. People can classify things they sell however they like. For a lot of people it is easier to look at suggested categories

jellybeans Thu 18-Dec-14 12:27:30

Yanbu it really annoys me. TV adverts as well. How can people expect equality when this sexism still exists.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now