Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is it OK for neighbours to play their euphonium

(33 Posts)
GlaceCherries Wed 17-Dec-14 23:28:18

At 11.20pm?

We live in a Victoria terrace and they have just started playing. I can (unfortunately) hear every note from my sitting room.

I can't say anything to them, I don't know them well and don't want to knock on their door. AIBU or is it an ok thing to do at this time of day? Maybe I should just be more tolerant? And fume less?

I wouldn't dream of letting my kids practice their piano late in the evening, assuming they can be heard next door. How can I ever let them know that this has wound me up no end?

MillionToOneChances Wed 17-Dec-14 23:31:27

They are being unreasonable. I'd pop a note through the door tomorrow politely asking them to avoid playing after 10pm.

steppeupunderthemisletoe Wed 17-Dec-14 23:38:15

shock
I play a similar instrument and it would wake up all the neighbours kids and we live in a detached house!

very unreasonable. I am pretty relaxed about noise, but even 10 pm would be quite late for this.

mausmaus Wed 17-Dec-14 23:40:35

too late imo.
up until 9pm fair enough, bu anything later than that needs a practice mute.

GlaceCherries Wed 17-Dec-14 23:41:26

Thanks. Some times I feel like I'm just being a party pooper rather than a Very Reasonable person. But they seem to have stopped now, hopefully for the night.

Fanjango Wed 17-Dec-14 23:41:46

Way too late. My son played the euphonium on loan from his school. They are NOT quiet. We live in a detatched house with lots of space around it, he couldn't annoy the neighbours but I couldn't put up with the noise this late grin

PigletInABlanketJohn Wed 17-Dec-14 23:52:05

they are presumably practicing for an Xmas concert.

Tomorrow the sun will be up at 8, so be sure to mow the lawn and trim your hedges as soon as it is light, you will have finished your hoovering by then.

PrimalLass Thu 18-Dec-14 11:21:45

Our years ago downstairs neighbours used to have the Sally Army band practice in their flat on a Sunday afternoon. That was loud.

wowfudge Thu 18-Dec-14 11:29:27

I wouldn't put a note through - it's nearly always better to talk to people. Instead I would knock with a Christmas card, introduce myself and ask when the euphonium player is performing in whatever they have been practising for. That should make it clear you've been disturbed by it heard it and you can then ask them not to practise so late. YANBU btw.

shelfontheelf Thu 18-Dec-14 11:29:32

I had to google it to find out what it was.

No, that is not okay, it looks LOUD!

wanttosqueezeyou Thu 18-Dec-14 11:31:20

Too late. They are VU.

Andrewofgg Thu 18-Dec-14 11:56:29

Keep us posted!

mawbroon Thu 18-Dec-14 12:05:35

This!! grin

PianoCat Thu 18-Dec-14 12:07:34

before you complain too loudly how much piano practice are your kids doing - maybe they were getting revenge for that? Perhaps a polite chat and check that it isn't a tit for tat ...

5Foot5 Thu 18-Dec-14 13:28:18

Wow no YANBU.

I play a trombone but I wouldn't dream of practising after about 9pm and I live in a detached house.

I suggest a polite word. I find it hard to believe anyone who plays a euphonium would be an arsey sort of person - maybe he/she just got carried away

abigamarone Thu 18-Dec-14 15:10:16

I find it hard to believe anyone who plays a euphonium would be an arsey sort of person - maybe he/she just got carried away

I thought that too, I don't know why though. They're possibly a bit over-enthusiastic about rehearsals.

apotatoprintinapeartree Thu 18-Dec-14 15:18:06

I would wait until it happens again and politely inform them that it is disturbing you. They ABU as this is an anti social hour.

We are a musical family from 8.30am until 8.30 pm, no way would we piss our neighbours off by playing any earlier or later.

nickeljrismybabesitter Thu 18-Dec-14 15:30:49

If they play their instrument (of any kind) loudly enough to hear it at 11:00pm, the gloves are off.

Play the piano at that time, too.

Prefereably in a completely different key.

nickeljrismybabesitter Thu 18-Dec-14 15:31:05

(i can spell preferably ) blush

IHeartChristmasMoomies Thu 18-Dec-14 15:42:35

YANBU. My neighbour is doing up his house and recently came home and started drilling at ten to midnight hmm. DH asked them to stop and the wife said he'd been at work all day so hadn't had time!

Well, so had I, and needed to be up for work again and maybe he should get up earlier and do the work before work instead of after...? To be fair though, this is the first time in the seven years we've lived here and they did stop immediately and with good grace.

ignominious Thu 18-Dec-14 15:46:14

I love music and would love a euphonium but there are so few times when practising is acceptable. I would have to be certain that nobody in a 100m radius was home, for a start.

GlaceCherries Thu 18-Dec-14 17:12:40

Funny mawbroon

PianoCat my kids do a little piano practice in the mornings before school - with the soft peddle on, 5 mins tops. In the evenings they're don't practice after 8pm. The piano is not against a shared wall. I know they have heard our piano, I presumed during quiet periods in the daytime/weekends.

I'm too chicken to say anything yet. I wanted to gauge that I wasn't being super unreasonable to be cross at the noise at that time of day. I'll see them over the weekend and may ask how their practice is going - to ask that they don't practise late at night. I might manage that (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the replies! (I really lose track of whether I'm over-reacting or not some times.)

goldopals Fri 19-Dec-14 00:56:12

Ouch. They are loud and should not be played after nine. I play in a Salvo band and they, along with the trombones, can always be heard

ClumsyFool Fri 19-Dec-14 01:03:29

YANBU I don't know what a euphonium is, but no musical instrument should be practised that late. If it happens again then you should definitely mention it to them.

GraysAnalogy Fri 19-Dec-14 01:23:37

I think I'd be annoyed at your kids on the piano early in the morning to be fair.

But yeah your neighbours are being unreasonable, but may be revenge for the morning piano

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now