Advanced search

Aibu to be pissed off at paying £50 for gas a week

(55 Posts)
Babiecakes11 Wed 17-Dec-14 22:15:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

youbethemummylion Wed 17-Dec-14 22:17:13

Do you have a debt on your meter?

2minsofyourtime Wed 17-Dec-14 22:18:43

That's way too much! There's a problem somewhere, how long have you had the metre?

EatShitDerek Wed 17-Dec-14 22:20:00

ilovechristmas1 Wed 17-Dec-14 22:21:07

thats wayyyyyyyyyyy to high

i have a 3bed detached 1 adult,2 teens and a primary

every gadget you can think of

heating on approx 7hrs a day

£120 a month duel fuel and im in credit £350

Iloveonionchutney Wed 17-Dec-14 22:21:35

I'm on a meter, paying a £7 debt every week, I have it on an hour in the morning and maybe 2-3 I the evening and we put on average £25 a week on so for what we use I could see it reaching that.

Oldraver Wed 17-Dec-14 22:21:43

I dont have a pre-pay meter and until recently was paying £109 per month. This is for a 4 bed detached. We usually have ours timed the same as yours but last years OH was working odd shifts so we had the heating on for a few more hours outside those times.

So yes I would say it was way too much even if there is debt on the meter

youbethemummylion Wed 17-Dec-14 22:22:15

If you are getting debt deducted each time you top up it implies you built up a debt on a credit meter prior to having this meter. If you didn't then you could be paying someone else's debt off, call the energy company in the morning.

TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 17-Dec-14 22:22:16

The £3 sounds like debt. Put the key/card in and press the button until it comes to a screen saying 'debt: x amount'.

Still, £3 doesn't make the other 32-47 acceptable. Something is wrong.

TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 17-Dec-14 22:24:17

Obviously if there is a dent, contact your supplier to get it removed/money back. Is they bill in your name? They should have wiped it then, if you called when you moved in but perhaps it didn't work etc.

yougotafastcar Wed 17-Dec-14 22:24:20

Woah £50 a week is a huge amount. We pay £10-20 a week on each, gas and electric, but I have the heating on 2 hours a day at most, we just can't afford it. There must be debt on your meter? I'd call your provider and ask them to explain what's going on

bloodyteenagers Wed 17-Dec-14 22:24:56

Are you going onto emergency everytime?

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 17-Dec-14 22:25:07

I know that on prepayment meters people get fleeced, which is so very unfair, but you are paying way too much. We pay £67/month dual fuel for a 3 bed semi.

StormyLovesOdd Wed 17-Dec-14 22:25:24

We have meters and pay about £25 on the electric and £15 on the gas each week in the winter. You need to find out how much debt you owe it sounds like they are taking more than you can afford.

ilovechristmas1 Wed 17-Dec-14 22:25:43

am shocked at what some pay

although my friend has 2 storage heaters and is on a key and says in the winter she can put £40+ weekly,i thought she was exaggerating,and the house is always bloody freezing

Lomega Wed 17-Dec-14 22:27:25

Bloody hell and I thought my £20 pw was expensive for electric (no gas, just elec storage heaters etc).
When we first got our pre-pay meter installed, we got £50 credit on it to start us off so to speak. We had to pay back £3 per week as part of the standing charge to pay off the debt. So that sounds like what you're having to do. If you weren't aware of any debt you might be paying someone else's off on the property, so you need to phone your supplier asap.

Fairylea Wed 17-Dec-14 22:27:50

Way to much! We spend £41 a month by direct debit! We have a 3 bed house and 2 dc and i'm home all day. We have the heating on for about 3 hours a day.

Can you contact your gas provider and ask them to check there isn't a fault?

Redtartanshoes Wed 17-Dec-14 22:32:40

Who is your provider?

There is some help you can get if you are on certain benefits etc.

It shouldn't be a choice between food and heating hmm

BirdhouseInYourSoul Wed 17-Dec-14 22:52:04

When we first moved in here I rang and gave them my name etc but they forgot to wipe off the debt from the previous tenant. After about 5 months our metre was moved from the floor of a dark cupboard to outside the house at pretty much eyelevel I'm very short and suddenly I saw the debt coming off too.

I rang them and they refunded me.

Call your provider to check that the debt is actually yours and if they have a better tariff to offer too.

CakeAndWineAreAFoodGroup Wed 17-Dec-14 22:56:50

You're on a prepayment meter?

We have gas CH and ours is pretty much same as your timings but we pay £40 a month. 2 bed end of terrace.

zukiecat Wed 17-Dec-14 23:04:36

I'm on a meter, the electricity one is fine but the gas is just ridiculous, I have debt on the gas, I put £50 on it two weeks ago, of that I got £16 credit and £5 emergency. Of course that's gone so I have no heating and no hot water.

I sympathise because being cold at this time of year is no fun at all.

Babiecakes11 Wed 17-Dec-14 23:04:42

Babiecakes11 Wed 17-Dec-14 23:10:04

Charlesroi Thu 18-Dec-14 00:51:12

Def something wrong here and a previous tenants debt hasn't been wiped off. I know prepayment is more expensive but that's mainly because you don't tend to get the discounted/fixed tariffs. You really shouldn't be paying more than £2 a week standing charge and about 5p per kWh. If you are - swap to British Gas.
I'm sure you'll be due a handy refund soon grin

Singleandproud Thu 18-Dec-14 01:04:29

If you are on a fairly low income with an under 5 you could be eligible for the warm front initiative from British Gas you get £160 a year for the meter.
I pay about £50 a month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now