Talk

Advanced search

I've spoiled another gift from DH. Help! (lighthearted)

(10 Posts)
Bulbasaur Wed 17-Dec-14 17:48:21

(Yes, this is lighthearted and we have no hard feelings about these things. It's become a bit of a joke between us.)

So far I have managed to quite accidentally find out about 4 gifts DH got me. Mostly stocking stuffers.

One was from a receipt he left on the couch that I was going to throw away, but l looked at to make sure it wasn't an important paper he needed. It was an internet receipt so it looked like a regular paper.

One was because the package was addressed to me and not him, while I was expecting my own package.

One I just blurted out a guess because he kept giving me hints.

I gave him a small stocking stuffer early as "penance" for this, though really it's his own fault I feel.

Anyway, last night he balled up a stocking stuffer in an apron and told me not to look in it and threw it on the table as he normally does with his aprons. I saw it this morning and forgot about our conversation last night. To be fair, I didn't look in the apron. I just threw the wadded up thing in the wash since it's his holiday apron and he only has one. Because I was trying to be nice to him.

Yeah. The gift turns out to be an ornament and now has water in it from the wash. Luckily it was plastic and didn't break. I have spent some time draining it through the small hole the water got in.

Do you think I can get away with balling up his clean apron with it before he wakes up? It's a coin toss if he'd notice or not.

What should I do? I'm thinking putting the blame on him for not doing his own laundry might be the best course of action.

Anyone else manage to find out their gifts or have their gifts found out?

Mrsmorton Wed 17-Dec-14 17:52:00

Wtf is a holiday apron? Am I missing out? Do I need one?

Bulbasaur Wed 17-Dec-14 17:54:20

He works at a food place, and part of the uniform is his apron. But during the holidays they all get a holiday apron to wear as a "fun" thing the store does. He works later, and I thought it would be nice to wash it before he has to head out since it had food stuff and confectionery sugar all over it.

Mrsmorton Wed 17-Dec-14 18:01:27

Ah, that's cool. I don't need one then!!

I never let on but I guessed a massive, huge thing that my bf had planned. Just from one thing that he said but I couldn't tell him. And I can't tell you lot either as its so incredibly indentifying!!

thetooththewholetooth Wed 17-Dec-14 18:06:01

A plastic ornament for Christmas? LTB

JennyBlueWren Wed 17-Dec-14 18:38:46

A "holiday" apron is presumably a Christmas apron -e.g. a Santa/elf/snowman one or with a holly pattern to it.

I would wrap it back up in the apron and replace it -although he will probably notice.

happygirl87 Wed 17-Dec-14 18:42:14

No idea what to do- but to cheer you up- I have ruined 3 presents, one was a rare childhood book as my Mum found the original one I had as a kid, one was theatre tickets as I said I would book to go, and one was earrings as I bought them myself! Annoyed as they would all have been fab presents grin

DoJo Wed 17-Dec-14 19:38:22

A friend of a friend was once surprised with a trip to a place and a stay in the exact same hotel she had been to with a previous boyfriend, just before their acrimonious and bitter break-up! She kept it to herself for almost the whole time, then let herself down by knowing where there was a cafe or something on the last day when she had to confess to her insider knowledge of the town.

Bulbasaur Wed 17-Dec-14 19:41:35

I almost got away with it. grin

He noticed when he started feeding DD and saw his apron wasn't on the table. Then he hunted down the ornament and dangled it in front of me with a disapproving face. The dryer wasn't done in time, so I couldn't sneak it in.

I had to forfeit another stocking stuffer to him since this one was definitely my fault. He put the rest of the gifts hidden in the house in the trunk/boot of his car telling me I had betrayed his most sacred trust.

S'ok though, I do love the ornament and we agreed it's better to enjoy it during the season on the tree. smile

MagicalHamSandwich Wed 17-Dec-14 19:52:02

First up: put the thing in a bag of rice overnight. It'll aid the draining process.

Failing that: blame the dog.

If you don't have a dog: blame a child.

If you have neither a dog nor children, I'm afraid you're screwed! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now