Talk

Advanced search

To take a job

(12 Posts)
Ifyoubuildit Wed 17-Dec-14 16:18:23

DCs are 2 and 4. I've had five years off. I'd be earning peanuts after childcare costs but it's four days a week and a fairly senior role at a great firm. Not very exciting work and a long commute so wouldn't see the DCs much during my working days. If I say no I'm afraid nothing else will come up as I've been looking for a while. I don't have to work, DH earns plenty but I'm bored at home and need more mental stimulation.

TheBatteriesHaveRunOut Wed 17-Dec-14 16:27:00

YANBU. Take it.

If you hate it, leave.

What does dh think, if it's not very exciting work will it provide the mental stimulation, what are the promotion prospects and will it be more profitable when both dcs are at school? And other questions!

Or, if it's more to do with using your brain and not being bored, would studying something be of any use?

Mmolly2013 Wed 17-Dec-14 16:31:47

If your bored at home why don't you look into doing some courses for a job that you might like in the future or could do working from home

I'd take it and give it 6 months to see how you feel at the end of it. That's what I did mentally when I went back after mat leave - I'm still at work (albeit have changed roles and hours) 8 years later.

Mammanat222 Wed 17-Dec-14 16:39:43

If you can afford it why not do something you'd actually enjoy? Study / volunteer?

I personally wouldn't take a job that is a long commute and not very exciting work... exchanging one type of drudgery for another won't help?

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Wed 17-Dec-14 16:42:15

Easier to get a job when you have a job. I'd take it but I work FT.

Try not to fall into the trap of 'peanuts after childcare costs' - your share is 50%, less if you count the day 'off'.
You will be getting a pension and other benefits too

Topseyt Wed 17-Dec-14 17:26:24

Take it, with both hands. I had to spend many years out of the job market due to childcare costs etc. and it was hellishly difficult to get back in again (though I am there now).

If nothing else, it will get you out of the house for some adult company and that can be important too.

Ifyoubuildit Wed 17-Dec-14 17:40:59

Thanks. To be honest it is peanuts even without childcare coats when compared with DH's earnings. I'm just worried I'll regret not spending the time with the DCs while they're still little but would really like to work again. It's such a hard decision!

If you have already been offered it can you negotiate on the terms? Working from home one or two days a week ( although DCs will still need to be in childcare) would make a big difference to your hours.

Ifyoubuildit Wed 17-Dec-14 19:19:06

I asked for one day at home but they said no :-(

PenelopeChipShop Wed 17-Dec-14 19:36:56

If it helps I am about to do almost exactly what you describe. Going back to a four day a week role in January even though I don't need to financially at all, my DS is only 2, and we probably do want another dc.

I decided opportunities just don't come up that often and its worth giving it a go - you can only really know what's it going to be like by doing it!

I do have some mixed feelings. I am worried I will miss DS and he has somehow morphed from a terrible 2 to a little angel since I accepted the job, making me doubt myself at times!

But ultimately I have been bored for a while and I dont want to wait til I have the next one before restarting my career in case I don't get another chance!

So I totally get why you're considering it and I think it's worth a try. We are very lucky really... If this doesn't work out we can leave, most people can't do that.

Greengrow Wed 17-Dec-14 20:09:29

It will start on low paid but you can move between jobs, seek more responsibility and get more training and before you know it you'll be earning 10x your other half as I did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now