Talk

Advanced search

to ask him to work from home

(16 Posts)
prettywoman35 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:24:53

So dh has a high level job but he is able to work from home occassionally. He has a long commute and works long hours normally so isn't able to give much support to me and our 3 dc during the week. He worked from home on Monday to enable him to get a blood test.
Well in the middle of the night dd3 became ill with d and v. and tomorrow is ds2 nativity play. I intended to go with dd3 to morning performance and dh to evening one.
Wibu to ask him to work from home so I can attend nativity play too. Ds2 is having some emotional problems/possibly on spectrum so would be really upset if I wasn't there.
So mn jury is it reasonable to ask given that he has already worked from home one day this week.

NorwaySpruce Wed 17-Dec-14 13:29:50

You could ask.

My husband would volunteer to do it, as long as there was no reason why he had to go in that day.

NotActuallyAMum Wed 17-Dec-14 13:32:21

He can't work from home and look after children can he? Or am I missing something?

prettywoman35 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:35:12

it would only be for an hour. Given that his commute is 2 hours he could easily accommodate this into working day.

pinkdelight Wed 17-Dec-14 13:35:52

My DH has a similar arrangement, but couldn't wfh two days a week. Esp near Xmas, it would look like he was taking the piss. He could, however, take the day off to look after a poorly DC if needs be. He wouldn't be thrilled, but he'd do it. In your situation though, I think if your DH can't help out, then you should get to go to the evening nativity and he should stay home and look after the DCs then.

prettywoman35 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:37:53

I get that is a possible solution.

5Foot5 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:38:17

So have you already asked him and he has refused or have you just not asked him yet? If the former I can see you would be put out but id the latter why are you asking us not your DH?

prettywoman35 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:40:44

I have tried to ring but obviously in a meeting as not answering phone. Now doubting whether I should.

BackforGood Wed 17-Dec-14 13:47:37

Well, it will depend on the culture at his work. Is it seen as 'an occasional privilige' or is it expected that most people stay home a day a week ? Does he have meetings? Does he need equipment or references at work, etc, etc

However, as you are going to see the play in the evening, I can't see why you need to go in the morning as well, either. Explain to your son this is like a practice in front of some parents, and then you and Daddy will be coming to see him tonight.

prettywoman35 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:53:20

i wasn't planning on doing evening one as I would be looking after other dc. It is also his last year at primary so extra important.

littlehayleyc Wed 17-Dec-14 13:54:38

If it was my DH he would probably offer. He certainly wouldn't think I was unreasonable to ask. However, my DH's employers are fairly flexible and he works a lot of overtime, so is in a good position to ask for a few hours off, or to work from home if needed. If it was me, and I couldn't get hold of my DH, I would just text 'any chance you can work from home tomorrow, so we can both get to DS2's nativity?' Slightly confused as to why you feel unsure about asking him.. Is he likely to be annoyed at the question? If he feels it will not be allowed, or he has too much work to do in the office, then he can let you know and you can maybe sort something else out. Maybe a friend or grandparent could sit with your DDS3 for an hour?

prettywoman35 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:55:36

obviously if he has a meeting i understand it won't be possible.

prettywoman35 Wed 17-Dec-14 13:59:16

Unfortunately we don't have any parents who can and my 2 friends I could ask can't either. I could get my brother possibly to come so I could attend evening one but he doesn't drive and lives 30 miles away.
tbh I think he might get a bit grumpy about being asked but txt now sent

prettywoman35 Wed 17-Dec-14 14:00:30

Because of his role he regularly puts in 10 hour days.

littlehayleyc Wed 17-Dec-14 14:03:46

Hopefully it's possible as it would be a shame for you to miss out on the nativity. As long as you're tactful and don't phrase it as though you'll be annoyed if he says no, I don't see the harm in asking. If you don't ask, then he could come home from work (when I assume it's too late to arrange) and say "why didn't you ask me about working from home?!" smile

prettywoman35 Wed 17-Dec-14 14:06:41

Thank you. Will wait for reply but ring again if I haven't heard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now