Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this is grabby by the school and we as parents already give enough!!!!!

(58 Posts)
Worryingwombat Tue 16-Dec-14 22:55:21

This might out me but hey ho!!

This afternoon a letter arrived home in the school book bag from the governors stating that from january the school would be asking for a £10 donation per term per family towards the upkeep of the school

As the school is a religious school they have to stump up 10% of the yearly building and upkeep costs

But drinking hell I will have £10. A term not so bad if they stopped all the other stuff but no letter mentions more fund raising!!!

So far since September we have had

3 non uniform days all had to find dress up outfits for both my kids ( I made 2 and borrowed for 1 of the days)
Gift in a bag donations
Bottle donations
4school trips to be paid
Music activity pay to take part
Bake cakes for school
Then bloody buy them
Christmas fair
Sweet jars
School photos at £28 a pop!!
Class photos

And next year
Easter party
Easter bonnets
Non uniform days
2 more outings
Donations for books
Donations for summer fair
The summer fair!!!

I give up I bet I will have spent over £100 when I've done and now they want £10 a term!!

I don't mind the trips as the boys get something out of it but the rest is a nightmare!!

I give up!!

So AIBU to think this is grabby and guilting me in to it !!

Worryingwombat Tue 16-Dec-14 22:57:05

No idea what has happen to the pound signs!! Sorry

Also remembered school has had 2 raffles and 1 raising money for church guilting me in to five pounds a book!!! hmm

Trumpity Tue 16-Dec-14 22:58:13

The school I am applying for is a faith school, and has this. It's not compulsory though.

kilmuir Tue 16-Dec-14 22:58:32

I don't have a problem supporting the Christmas and summer Fairs. Trips are worth it. But would be bit peed off at the £10, we pay taxes already. You say its a school church, then let church pay, they are loaded

LonelyThisChristmas28 Tue 16-Dec-14 22:58:33

YANBU that is terrible!! Is it voluntry or are they making you pay!!

please remind them that every child has a right to a FREE education

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Tue 16-Dec-14 22:58:50

Are you on the pta or equivalent? Might be a good idea to go along and find out more. Bizarre request.

The rest is pretty par for the course though.

suspiciousandsad Tue 16-Dec-14 22:59:46

Personally I don't think the state should be funding religious schools at all. Agree that your church should pay.

abouttobeevicted Tue 16-Dec-14 23:03:29

I have a "voluntary contribution of £400 a term" so £10 is good!!

we can't always pay but its a faith school so we try to pay as much as we can. thus term I think we paid £200.

KERALA1 Tue 16-Dec-14 23:03:49

Budgets in schools have been cut right back I know ours is broke. Music and photos payment usually goes to outside agencies rather than benefitting the school. Your kids presumably have fun at the fairs, parties and on trips so not entirely money for nothing.

Schools don't have the budget for the extra nice to haves so if we want them we have to pay for them. This is a political issue rather than the schools fault.

JohnCusacksWife Tue 16-Dec-14 23:04:43

I'm on the fundraising committee for our school so see it from the other side. After staff costs and essential supplies our school has bugger all budget left. So we have to raise money for any new equipment, resources etc for the benefit of the pupils. Striking a balance between raising enough to buy the the things the school needs versus pissing parents off is a fine art. We don't always get it right but we do our best.

Bunbaker Tue 16-Dec-14 23:05:07

I am a governor at a high school. We don't make anything like these kind of demands on parents.

DD has about 2 non uniform days a year and that is it.

In defence of the school, I know that all schools are struggling financially and a great many of them are over budget due to the cuts in funding.

Worryingwombat Tue 16-Dec-14 23:06:21

We do like the school we are not religious though and encourage the kids to make there own choices luckily the school is not one to force it on ever child every minute of the day!

I am not on the PTA but might contact the school when we get the next letter apparently this next letter will give full details of how to make payment and when it will need to be in!!

It does say voluntary but it says that for everything even the letter reads " we know you will not let your children down and let there education suffer "!!!

Like I say £10 straight out fine but no more other faffing!!

Yet I can not ban the kids for non uniform days and stuff!!

So unfair making me feel all in Christmassy this has!!

Bastards hmm

ilovesooty Tue 16-Dec-14 23:09:01

Most of this stuff you don't have to pay for. However as said above schools are suffering massive budget cuts.

These threads moaning about schools are getting as frequent and predictable as P&C parking threads.

MissBattleaxe Tue 16-Dec-14 23:09:29

"we know you will not let your children down and let there education suffer "!!!"

I hope it didn't say that. I hope it said "their education".

JohnCusacksWife Tue 16-Dec-14 23:10:25

Emotional blackmail's not on. But perhaps instead of calling them bastards you could go to a PTA meeting and ask what they plan to spend the money on and then you could make a judgement as to whether it's worth it to you?

Worryingwombat Tue 16-Dec-14 23:15:30

The more I read the more I feel AIBU!!

£400 a term!! I could not cope!! That's our food bill for 5 weeks!!!

I know schools are struggling but I as a parent am struggling to

In the past 4 weeks I have paid £15 in school trips £5 for music activity
Donated bottles (cost £5 ) gift in a bag (cost £10 as I had to have 2 as 2 kids!!) then gave the kids £3 each for the Christmas fair and the £2each for secrets santa 2x £5 in raffle tickets

That's £55in a very short space of time and near Christmas as well I know to some that might be nothing but to me it's almost a food shop for the 5 of us!

Really only £20!went to my kids trips the ready was faff!!

TheFairyCaravan Tue 16-Dec-14 23:15:37

I wouldn't pay it. It's voluntary, you don't have to pay it. The school should be asking the church for the money, it's not like they are short of a few pounds.

Worryingwombat Tue 16-Dec-14 23:16:56

Yes miss battleaxe the schools spelling was much much better than mine!

kormachameleon Tue 16-Dec-14 23:17:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WooWooOwl Tue 16-Dec-14 23:18:11

Some of the things on your list are things that you are paying for directly to benefit your own children, others are more indirect but having children does cost money. You don't have to join in with everything.

It shouldn't have to be like this because we pay enough tax which should be funding our schools properly, but it's not happening and schools are left with little choice. I'm sure they'd rather not have to ask parents for money, but it's pretty common in my experience.

Shockingundercrackers Tue 16-Dec-14 23:18:31

£10 a term is less than a quid a week isn't it? It's not much really. Its voluntary. Pay it if you want to, don't if you don't. It really is that simple.

Icimoi Tue 16-Dec-14 23:21:24

Is this a C of E or RC school? Because they are extremely rich. If they want faith schools they should unquestionably be prepared to pay for them.

Shockingundercrackers Tue 16-Dec-14 23:21:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Worryingwombat Tue 16-Dec-14 23:21:42

Korma - I never took a place from another child

I have supported the school for 4 years fully my son's take part in every activity and we donate to every drive they have

I just thought that asking for £10 a term outright was grabby when I already contribute through all the other things!

apotatoprintinapeartree Tue 16-Dec-14 23:25:57

If it is a VA Faith school this is completely normal.
Two of my dc attended schools like this for a while and it costs a fortune.
You are meant to be happy to do this and be part of the reason you chose the school, so if this is the case YABU, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now