Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think I AM dressed warmly enough?

(46 Posts)
SoonMeansNever Tue 16-Dec-14 22:35:53

Was going to write 'dressed properly' but I do hate a misleadingly enticing thread title... grin

DM has been haranguing me over the phone for "not dressing properly" ie she thinks I don't wear enough, as I commented that it was chilly today and was cold at DSis's house on a recent visit.
"Oh well of course you're never dressed properly" - actually I think I am, for a normal house!

I'm currently wearing slippers, cords, a cotton long vest, long sleeve cotton top, and a long cardi (cheap, not wool shock the horror ). Nothing is tucked in - another heinous crime according to DM don't get her started on artificial fibres or the dreadfulness of 3/4 length sleeves.
That's pretty standard issue indoor winter clothing IMO?

From the last Skype call, DM looks to be wearing her usual Winter garb of a million layers inc polo neck, gilet, fingerless gloves on indoors - only slightly less than most people wear outside.
Tbf she has Reynauds disease so does take more precautions against getting cold doesn't go as far as buying a decently insulated sensible house tho.

Both DM and DSis live in much bigger houses than me, v high ceilings, huge rooms and vast windows, in comparison we're in a 2bed Victorian terrace, small rooms, easy to heat!
When I visit I dress a bit more warmly and always have a scarf on, and yes, I even tuck my vest in...

AIBU to think I'm the one dressed properly normally, and she's the one dressed for the Arctic tundra in her own home?

differentkindofpenguin Tue 16-Dec-14 22:41:06

Are we long lost sisters? According to DM my children will catch a COLD and DIE unless they have 50 layers on.

mydaftlass Tue 16-Dec-14 22:45:14

I wear more than that in winter in my house (quite modern). Today I had thick socks and slipper boots, thick trousers, long sleeve cotton tshirt, merino wool jumper and fleece on.

Jelliebabe2 Tue 16-Dec-14 22:46:47

What even IS a chill... In surely to get one though if I don't cover my chest properly or .... Wash my hair in the morning!

Pensionerpeep Tue 16-Dec-14 22:49:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoonMeansNever Tue 16-Dec-14 23:03:55

Pensioner def a thermostat issue in part! DH is always turning ours up, I'm always turning it down. He'd have it at 24-25 permanently if I didn't keep thwarting him! I'm a 18-21 kinda temp.

Thing is tho, it's not like I go around complaining "Oh I'm sooooo cold" when I'm there, it was a passing comment a week after and still I got jumped on!

Pipbin Tue 16-Dec-14 23:12:49

According to DM my children will catch a COLD and DIE unless they have 50 layers on.

When you try to explain to people like this that a cold doesn't work like that they just won't have it will they.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 16-Dec-14 23:25:14

Good opportunity to ask for a cashmere sweater for Christmas wink

I have M&S 2* thermal tops and leggings for working from home, when I'm not moving about much. Worn under long sleeved top, trousers and fisherman's jumper, with thermal knee high socks and very old uggs.

zoemaguire Tue 16-Dec-14 23:27:00

My mum thinks a baby needs a hat on to go a distance of 15 metres to the next door house on a night where the temperature might be as low as 17 degrees c. As for British winters, her neck retreats into a polo-neck in September and does not emerge again until march at the earliest. She is bonkerssmile

puntasticusername Tue 16-Dec-14 23:32:39

Yes, dear, but do you have a PROPER vest on? You need to keep your kidneys warm or all manner of harm will befall you <worries>

cigarsofthepharaoh Tue 16-Dec-14 23:40:55

I'm wearing pyjama shorts and a cropped vest currently - I'm just naturally warm. Every time I go down to my parents' for Christmas, they panic about me getting hypothermia or frostbite or something.

CheeseBuster Tue 16-Dec-14 23:47:50

Gosh i think you are overdressed. Send your DM overhear, she'll think your reading to go skiing after seeing me. Sat here in PJs/comfy trousers and vest top. We have the heating set at 15c to come on 1hr in the morning and 1 in the evening. I sweat buckets at other peoples houses blush

SoonMeansNever Tue 16-Dec-14 23:52:45

Oh my goodness the timing couldn't be better - just had an email from DM saying they're moving home 3 months early as the house is too cold grin Sorry, I am just laughing blush

They'd moved to France for 6 months, but heading home early due to the cold and the mud...

Not too cold for DM of course, oh no hmm , apparently she gets too hot some days, but her DP has been suffering a bit and wants to come home. Because he's more sensible than her and doesn't think suffering is a virtue

Timing eh? grin

SoonMeansNever Tue 16-Dec-14 23:59:04

Just to note, her comments stem from criticism not concern, she's not mean, just rather no-nonsense.

SoonMeansNever Wed 17-Dec-14 00:07:00

MrsBert I would LOVE a cashmere jumper! Unlikely, our family don't do pricey presents, but DM does traditionally give me a new thermal vest at Xmas... Not these days as they're not very BF-friendly, and all my old ones are sadly waaaay too small now. sad

xalyssx Wed 17-Dec-14 00:09:52

You are wearing a lot more than I am! I was wearing a thin tshirt and shorts around the house yesterday, and when I went out I was wearing a tshirt, a pair of jeans and a cardigan. Everyone has different body temperatures.

WoodenGo Wed 17-Dec-14 00:19:23

It's a generation thing, isn't it? I was a child of the 60s/70s and practically got sewed into a liberty bodice* at the start of winter. Any venture outdoors necessitated many, many layers of clothes. I looked like a weeble.

*a garment unknown by anyone born post 1968!

NeedsAsockamnesty Wed 17-Dec-14 00:27:31

Op thermal vests can be rather BF friendly you just use the vest and jumper method either jumper up vest down or both up

Pensionerpeep Wed 17-Dec-14 08:14:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YeGodsAndLittleFishes Wed 17-Dec-14 08:20:36

If she has Reynauds, it could be a thyroid thing. Ive got an underactive thyroid (don't wear gloves in the house but if I'm still I need a blanket on me). My sisters are hyperthyroid and wouldn't need to be wearing a vest or cardi and wear a coat outdoors for the pockets, not for warmth. (I used to be like that too!)

SoonMeansNever Wed 17-Dec-14 10:19:33

SockAmnesty All my thermal vests are distinctly un-stretchy, esp the straps, def wouldn't pull down enough, so I've just been using my maternity vests, not as warm but still covers the midsection! I'll have a rummage at M&S next time I'm in to see if there's a proper thermal one that'd work. smile

SoonMeansNever Wed 17-Dec-14 10:28:36

Pensioner We had ice inside our windows two years ago! grin Finally bit the bullet and replaced the lovely original sashes with double glazed uPVC sash units, and wow what a difference!
When I was small there'd be ice on my water glass when I woke up, we always lived in freezing houses in the middle of nowhere, always wore socks, long slippers, vests and pjs and then a huge dressing gown over the lot. Visitors always shivered - tbh, I think it's a bit rude to let your guests be frozen, it wouldn't have killed her to turn the heating up a couple of notches when we had visitors or when I visit her now.

SoonMeansNever Wed 17-Dec-14 10:34:13

YeGods Thank you, I'll ask her if her thyroid has been checked. I get cold if i sit still too long too, but benefitted from the weird hormonal preg heat thing last winter - youngest is 8mo now, don't think he's going to keep me warm this winter!

Chwaraeteg Wed 17-Dec-14 10:39:07

Puntasticusername, what is it with the kidney thing? I remember my nan telling me I would 'get a cold in my kidneys' if I wore tops that rode up when I bent down.

My mother has a thing about sitting on floors / leaning on anything cold. Whenever we sat on a non carpeted floor as kids she would make us get back up on case we 'got piles'. I had no idea what piles were when I was a kid.

SaucyMare Wed 17-Dec-14 10:42:52

sorry i would tell you to put more clothes on. It will save you money on heating.
wearing vest, cotton string vest and warmish jumper, but i tuck in to trap warmth in the layers.
Once i get home out the office add a dressing gown (but i have circulation problems)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now