Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think M&S are majing present buying unnecessarily hard?

(37 Posts)
ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 16-Dec-14 21:06:15

Sigh.

They haven't got a Boy section or a Girl section any more. sad

What happens if I erroneously buy a telescope or a science kit for mmy DD because of their unclear categorising? She might get ideas above her pinknfluffee station?

Shoukd I complain, it's NOT asseptable yanno.

LittleBearPad Tue 16-Dec-14 21:09:12

Tis tricky not being guided to the gender appropriate choice. Seek out glitter, it will be wholly suitable for a girl. For boys you want brown. wink

ACardiganForCat Tue 16-Dec-14 21:09:56

Here's the rule: if it's got a cat on it it's for a girl. Anything to do with dinos is for a boy.

ouryve Tue 16-Dec-14 21:12:14

Do they not sell pink telescopes?

arethereanyleftatall Tue 16-Dec-14 21:13:49

Thing is - despite this appealing to the mn massive, they'll get a load of complaints.

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 16-Dec-14 21:16:26

There was pink, yup.

But I like clear cut.

ClaudetteWyms Tue 16-Dec-14 21:16:34

Shit I bought my 6 year old DD a grown up telescope for Christmas <shoots self>

ChaosTrulyReigns Tue 16-Dec-14 21:18:17

Slippery slope, Claudy.

Yiu need to STEM that tide...

PausingFlatly Tue 16-Dec-14 21:20:14

Ooh, I see what you did there, Chaos...

You're being a catalyst for change, you know.

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 16-Dec-14 21:26:14

Chaos, smile

callmekitten Tue 16-Dec-14 21:32:46

WTF are they doing selling pink telescopes? What kind of girl is going to want something so sciency? The poor dears will have a brain fracture and then where will they be? Unsuitable as doting wives, that's where!

StilleNachtCarolling Tue 16-Dec-14 21:56:17

DH is a STEM ambassador <proud>

ASAS Tue 16-Dec-14 21:56:31

Hey hunz, I do love a bit of tongued cheek but here's a true story.... Charity shop. DS, aged 2, finds a toy ironing board. He has a toy iron at home, in his toy kitchen. I ask the lady how much it is, she says £1. We pay. DS says, "Thank you mummy". Lady says, "Oh well, he can line his soldiers up on it". I was stunned but wish I'd said, "He's 2nd gen ex military thank you very much, soldiers iron".

fatowl Tue 16-Dec-14 22:17:08

Hun, If she doesn't like it, you can always sell in on your FB page to a boy, then you can get her something from Frozen like a proper mum. They have some gawjus stuff, - even with extra glitter to make her feel extra speshul

Valpollicella Tue 16-Dec-14 22:19:18

Fucking hell Chaos. yanbu.

You might end up buying some sparkly plakky slingbacks for DS without realising

ASAS Tue 16-Dec-14 22:31:53

Haha, did your phone auto correct me to chaos? How Freudian smile

I'm always amazed at the comments I get about my DS who loves kitchens/babies etc. People clearly worry he could grow up to be.... a dad. My boy trumps them for manners seven days a week. Hun.

ASAS Tue 16-Dec-14 22:32:50

Oh gawd, obv ignore the above. Too much gin.

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 17-Dec-14 11:06:34

<<puts glittery frozen shite on list>>

<<loffs at ASAS>>

ClaudetteWyms Wed 17-Dec-14 11:08:57

I have covered telescope in glitter and pink fluff, especially the lens - so DD only has to see pretty stuff instead of real science space type shit. Is this now acceptable for a girl?

PausingFlatly Wed 17-Dec-14 11:11:34

But was the gin pink, ASAS?

LittleBearPad Wed 17-Dec-14 11:18:16

That is acceptable Claudette. She needs to know the world is made of pink glitter and fluff. Anything else would confuse her.

ArthurSHappeyChristmas Wed 17-Dec-14 11:24:05

How very shitty of them! They had a slinky in there the other day, I didn't know if it was a boy's slinky or a girl's slinky. It was silver so the colour didn't help me work it out either. I insist they cease this madness and revert to boy slinkys in blue and girl slinkys in pink and place them in appropriate sections immediately!

applauds m&s

youareallbonkers Wed 17-Dec-14 11:48:29

Why do you all make such a big deal about boys & girls toys? Some people like to categorise them in that way, others do not. Some girls do love pink and sparkly as do some boys. Some people are traditional in their views that boys should play with guns and girls should play with dolls, others are not. I really don't understand why this causes so much angst. If you have a modicum of common sense it won't affect you in the slightest.

ChaosTrulyReigns Wed 17-Dec-14 11:56:57

Taking away the proscriptive categories makes it much more acceptable for anyone to choose what the feck they want rather than having to be a rad Boy who likes pink or an anarchic girl who wants to do the science.

Narrow minded and limited to promote stuff to one gender.

ClaudetteWyms Wed 17-Dec-14 12:07:14

youareallbonkers my DD is 6 and has already been told by boys that dinosaurs are for boys and not girls. One of her friends (a girl) loves pirates and has been told they can only be boys.

It is marketing and stores that help propagate this kind of nonsense. Kids should be able to be "into" whatever they like. It is not as simple as girls like Frozen and boys like trucks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now