Talk

Advanced search

to think my cat's increased affection is not to do with the stress of my new relationship?

(8 Posts)
jammygem Tue 16-Dec-14 20:45:23

I live with my ex in a houseshare with one other tenant - we moved in as a couple, split up fairly amicably in March, have remained good friends and due to convenience and money just stayed in the same place (although obviously seperate rooms now)

I've been with my new boyfriend for 4 months now - he and my ex don't see eye to eye, which is fair enough really. My boyfriend doesn't like the way he treated me and my ex has not been particularly friendly either.

The last couple of months my boyfriend has been staying over usually about twice a week. In these last few months my cat has been getting a lot more affectionate, always climbing on my lap for a cuddle, following me around the house and pawing at the door if I've closed it for whatever reason. She's always been pretty affectionate so I didn't really notice until ex pointed it out. He claims she's doing this out of stress because my boyfriend is round so often and she's not used to him. I pointed out that she loves him, is very affectionate with him too, and that she's not showing any signs of stress. Personally I think this comes out of jealousy as he's confided in my other housemate that he's feeling very lonely and we first got my cat when we were together.

Is he right? Is my new relationship stressing out my cat? Or does this sound like bullshit to you?

jammygem Tue 16-Dec-14 20:48:13

I should say before I get flamed that if it is to do with my new relationship, I don't flaunt it in his face and have been very careful not to upset him as I know he was finding it hard.

StilleNachtCarolling Tue 16-Dec-14 20:48:39

Are you pregnant? The only time my cats have ever become inexplicably more affectionate/clingy is when I've been pregnant!

qazxc Tue 16-Dec-14 20:48:46

You know your own cat. If you can't see any signs of stress, I wouldn't worry.

jammygem Tue 16-Dec-14 20:51:05

Nope, definitely not pregnant!

mytartanscarf Tue 16-Dec-14 20:53:27

Is the CAT pregnant!?

Mine got very affectionate when she'd been bonking a local Tom!

mommy2ash Tue 16-Dec-14 20:59:40

the cat is the least of your problems here.

you stayed living with your ex as it suited. it obviously doesn't suit anymore

jammygem Tue 16-Dec-14 21:00:04

Again, definitely not pregnant! She was spayed when she was rescued...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now