Talk

Advanced search

To be getting bored of charity boasting. <disclaimer> facebook related!

(22 Posts)
Allingoodfaith Tue 16-Dec-14 19:21:24

I've two unrelated friends on FB that have decided to start up a Christmas shoe box and give it to 'needy' people at Christmas. Some of the posts are quite patronising But I suppose it's the thought that counts. One girl even said she would love to take a poor child to macdonalds and buy her anything she liked - just to see their little face (Wtf?)

But I'm sick of the constant up dates and name rolling and tagging of people dropping them off at their homes as though it's slightly tongue in cheek that others haven't done the same. Also the glorification of being seen to donate to charity. Once a fucking year woopie do! I don't know how much is actually wanting to be active in helping people or just to be seen helping people.

I have three charity's I donate to by dd every month. I don't post about it every time I see it's been taken out my account.

I drop clothes and furniture off at BHF when it's spare I don't post about that either.

Would IBU if I wrote under their next name roll "oh lovely! what do you do for the other 11 months of the year ?" grin

skylark2 Tue 16-Dec-14 19:26:27

I'd be seriously tempted to write "that's nice - are you going to make it a monthly thing? Charities benefit so much more from regular income."

I do give a charity "Christmas gift" every year but I don't make a big public thing about it. It's because I want to do it, not because I want to be patted on the back. And a couple of monthly dds too.

UterusUterusGhali Tue 16-Dec-14 19:28:59

I know what you mean. pats hand

My ExH used to do stuff for "charity" through his work. Triathlons, walks etc. Never donated a penny. Couldn't be arsed to set up a just giving page. Just liked telling people he did this stuff for charity. fhmm

I dd too, but if I'm cornered by a chugger I feel Twatty saying so.

sliceofsoup Tue 16-Dec-14 19:29:34

YANBU. I am a member of a grouo on facebook that feeds the homeless and they collect varoous donations etc.

I an sick of hearing "Great night tonight."

WTF is great about homeless people relying on strangers for food. They even say it was a great night when some of them dont get into the hostel. FFS.

And then theres all the tagging of all the people who donated n people putting pics up of their donations. Next they will be handing out medals.

I intended to get involved but I am now waiting until the Christmas goodwill is over. January and February are cold dreary months.

Allingoodfaith Tue 16-Dec-14 19:29:51

skylark I like your line better - I may use it!

Trunkisareshite Tue 16-Dec-14 19:30:58

YANBU it's beyond naff. I hate the links to whatever charity with a comment 'I've donated- will you'? Followed by 'done mine Hun' then the person who shared the link writing 'well done, feels sooo gud'.

Fuck me does that give me the rage.

It makes me want to comment 'I won't- don't care what happens to them/ it' in some kind of twattish rebellion.

sliceofsoup Tue 16-Dec-14 19:31:01

Sorry for typos. On phone.

GertyD Tue 16-Dec-14 19:31:23

YANBU. I hate do-it-for-show do-gooders. I have a whole bunch of them on my FB. There is one particular one that does an update every time she drops stuff at the food bank bin in the supermarket, drops stuff at a charity shop, gives money to beggars, spends five minutes talking to an OAP at the bus stop, sponsors anyone doing anything, feeds the fucking pigeons and gives blood. So every day there is some update telling us how wonderful, kind, thoughtful, charitable and giving she is. Just in case we try to forget confused

Allingoodfaith Tue 16-Dec-14 19:32:26

Crap - that's worse! slice shock

Rainicorn Tue 16-Dec-14 19:32:54

Yep, YANBU.

I have a colleague who has been posting for over three weeks now, reminding everyone she isn't giving out cards as she is donating to the local food bank instead. On Saturday shenboasted about dropping off two bags full of food, how good it made her feel and how it is well within the meaning of Christmas etc.

People like her only do it for the attention. If you're going to do something like this, please just do it for the actual charity and the people it will help and not for you the eternal gratification of everyone around you.

Allingoodfaith Tue 16-Dec-14 19:34:24

So it's not just my newsfeed then!! <<shakes head and pours brandy>>

Trooperslane Tue 16-Dec-14 19:36:47

I've done it - but I'm fundraising for my nephew to have life saving treatment and it's generated a few extra hundred pounds from colleagues and friends, so it's worth it for us.

I do drop stuff in the food and all clothes go to shelter, but I never talk about that. It's just what you do.

Big difference imo

Trooperslane Tue 16-Dec-14 19:37:07

Oh God. *life changing. confused

Rainicorn Tue 16-Dec-14 19:38:39

That is a huge difference troops. Hope your nephew hits his target formhismoperation flowers. Pm me a link if you have one for donations.

Allingoodfaith Tue 16-Dec-14 19:40:02

Yes a big difference troop hope you hit the target flowers

sarkymare Tue 16-Dec-14 19:43:39

I can go one step further and say I have someone on my friends list who recently posted a photo of their self putting a five pound note in the charity box (was still holding onto the money in order to take the photo IYSWIM)

Nothing like wanting a public pat on the back.

skylark2 Tue 16-Dec-14 19:45:13

Go for it!

Though, to play devil's advocate a bit, people do support charities much more when it's enjoyable, so I guess if bragging about it on fb makes it enjoyable for some people, at least the charity's being supported as a result...

Personally I'm making little yellow ducks at the moment. I get to Do Good and have fun with my favourite craft. Win-win.

conquistador Tue 16-Dec-14 19:53:05

shock sarky!

GertyD Wed 17-Dec-14 22:17:48

Tonight's status from previously mentioned FB friend is about her driving past a car accident so she stopped and helped everyone. Luckily no one was badly hurt, but they were all so thankful that she stopped. Then she lectured us all that all it takes is a few words of kindness and we are all selfish!!!

Fixerupperz Wed 17-Dec-14 22:27:43

This is why I barely use my Facebook anymore .
It fucks me off.
Charity doesn't count if you're doing it for your own gratification. Bellends.

Fixerupperz Wed 17-Dec-14 22:28:30

Look at me look at me I'm such a good person donating X and telling the world about it zzzzz.

ClashCityRocker Wed 17-Dec-14 22:46:19

I am involved in a local homelessness charity and I find it a bit galling tbh. In some ways, christmas is the time when charities least need help, due to the sheer number of donations they receive. Our local food bank is actually turning away donations as there simply isn't the space to store it all. Which is a good thing, I'd rather there be too much than not enough, but it's a shame that well-intentioned people aren't able to help out in the way they want to - and can often cause a headache for the charities they are trying to help.

The other week someone turned up at the charity with around thirty second hand sleeping bags. They'd set up a Facebook group to collect them, and turned up in a van full of them without any consultation with us whatsoever. We have more sleeping bags than we know what to do with already and sadly had to spend most of the afternoon ringing round other homeless charities trying to find somewhere where they would be put to good use. They ended up going to a dogs home, so at least they're helping.

Last year a well-meaning group went out with flasks of homemade soup to give to homeless people on Christmas Eve - they actually only gave one away as that was the only homeless person they could 'find'. They made the poor bloke pose for photos with them to put on Facebook.

It would help a lot more if these people went out on a shitty January night when noones bothered about feeling all warm and fuzzy rather than during the time of year it occurs to the majority of people to do something for those in need.

Having said that, I suppose every little helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now