Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To speak to the teacher about this Christmas card?

(156 Posts)
ChristmasInsanity Tue 16-Dec-14 17:30:24

My 6yo DS came home from school and was opening Christmas cards. He got one from a girl in his class which read 'to insanity's son, I don't like you. From child'

I dont know the parents or child so I was going to take it to the teacher tomorrow?

KatoPotato Tue 16-Dec-14 17:31:31

Gads that's rotten! She sounds a PEACH.

Do tell the teacher, her parents need to be told. I hope she gets coal in her stocking.

emsyj Tue 16-Dec-14 17:32:34

YANBU. That's bullying IMO.

MokunMokun Tue 16-Dec-14 17:32:52

I wouldn't worry about it. They're 6. My son recently told me he didn't like a girl in his class because she is too tall.

SunsineAndRainbows Tue 16-Dec-14 17:32:55

YANBU!

Defiantly mention it to the teacher.

GristletoeAndWhine Tue 16-Dec-14 17:33:21

What does DS say about it? I would mention it to the teacher yes, but I would assume my child had also done something horrible.

KatoPotato Tue 16-Dec-14 17:34:04

Telling you that and telling the child that are a bit different though mokun

mytartanscarf Tue 16-Dec-14 17:35:05

Definitely mention to the teacher.

IF the op's son has done something horrible then the teacher should have been told - not writing mean messages in a Christmas card! confused

overmydeadbody Tue 16-Dec-14 17:35:09

Why talk to the teacher?

Cards are written at home. Talk to the parents of the child who wrote it.

Not fair to put the teacher in the middle of this.

MokunMokun Tue 16-Dec-14 17:36:08

Yes, is he actually upset about it? Or is he not bothered.

I suppose you could mention it to the teacher but I'd guess her parents forced her to write cards to all the kids in her class. I wonder what she wrote in the other cards. Her parents would be mortified!

KatoPotato Tue 16-Dec-14 17:36:24

OP doesn't know the child or the parents? Involving teacher means you can open a chat about reasons why?

Floggingmolly Tue 16-Dec-14 17:36:25

Nasty little madam!! Of course tell the teacher, who should in turn tell her parents what she's choosing to write in Christmas cards.

thatsmyname123 Tue 16-Dec-14 17:36:36

Id let the teacher know, if my child sent a card with that written on if personally want to know so I could explain to them how nasty that was. Poor kid, hope your ds wasn't upset

Greencurtain Tue 16-Dec-14 17:37:32

Yes I'd tell the teacher. My dd's teacher would have a word with a child who wrote that I'm sure. Even though it was written at home, it was brought in to and received through school.

dingit Tue 16-Dec-14 17:38:46

Sorry, but can I send one like that to my smil? smile

Boomtownsurprise Tue 16-Dec-14 17:39:27

The teacher needs to know. There could be all sorts of background they are party to that op isn't.

Parent to parent could well be confrontational and escalate.

KatieKaye Tue 16-Dec-14 17:41:54

Definitely tell the teacher.

That was really hurtful. Hope your DS is okay

JohnCusacksWife Tue 16-Dec-14 17:42:14

What do you expect the teacher to do about it? The card would have been written at home. If you're going to take it up with anyone it should be the girls parents not the teacher.

KnackeredMerrily Tue 16-Dec-14 17:44:40

I wrote a birthday card like that to my brother blush

He deserves it

cansu Tue 16-Dec-14 17:48:25

Tbh I would ask the teacher if there was any particular problem between the children. The teacher will undoubtedly then speak to said child to explain why this isn't OK. I am a teacher and would be happy to do this. It is really part of teaching good social skills to understand what is and isn't oK to say to someone!

Sidge Tue 16-Dec-14 17:49:00

They're 6. 6 year olds are brutally honest. And can be rude.

It's not bullying.

Not all children have to like all children.

What's it got to do with the teacher? If you need to say anything at all, say it to the parent/s.

dottytablecloth Tue 16-Dec-14 17:49:11

Definitely let the teacher know.

I'm a teacher and would definitely be doing some sort of follow up if this happened in my class, even in an informal 'kind words, friendship' type of circle time.

Is your son bothered Insanity ? If he is, mention it to the teacher in a low key way, as you don't know the parents. If not I'd laugh it off. Her parents probably forced her to write cards to all the kids in the class against her will thinking this made them great parents and taught her some arbitrary moral lesson about thinking of others or the spirit of Christmas or some such nonsense,
and it's backfired because she resented having to write cards to anyone but her 2 best friends, or whatever. ..fshockfgrin

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 16-Dec-14 17:54:54

Back in the day when ds2 was 10 he wrote a Christmas card at school and posted it to a much loathed [by some of the children] dinner lady at our primary school.

He posted it in the Christmas post box and she opened it at school, became terribly upset and cried to the HT.

He'd written 'you're fired' on a separate piece of paper and left it anonymous obviously but silly boy used paper from a class worksheet and was quickly found out. We were summoned to school and we made him apologise and also put it in writing to said dinner lady.

I would mention it to the teacher if he was my lad just so she became aware of the incident.

Hatespiders Tue 16-Dec-14 17:56:41

Did the six year-old child actually write the words 'insanity's son'? Sounds far too adult an expression for a child of that age, and also a hard word to spell.
Do very young children nowadays have this sort of vocabulary? (retired primary school teacher)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now