Talk

Advanced search

To think charity collecters shouldn't bray on the door like they are someone important?!

(49 Posts)
EatShitDerek Tue 16-Dec-14 15:37:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mulderandskully Tue 16-Dec-14 15:38:25

Yanbu. I told one off a few months ago

NCIS Tue 16-Dec-14 15:39:47

Perhaps they're being seasonal, braying like the little donkey, is your road dusty? grin

NadiaWadia Tue 16-Dec-14 15:41:15

'Brayed' on the door - what, brayed like a donkey?

Yes they are annoying. They have no right to your attention. Put a sign up?

Songofsixpence Tue 16-Dec-14 15:42:50

YANBU

I had one knock on the door yesterday. I thought I was being raided! Blasted the bell, then hammered the door then blasted the bell again.

And because I was upstairs and didn't get to the door in 2 seconds, did it all again. Just in case I didn't hear it the first time hmm

EatShitDerek Tue 16-Dec-14 15:43:14

Nomama Tue 16-Dec-14 15:46:46

Okey Dokey Derek smile

But no, NU. Last week I had to ask one to leave the door on the outside - not sure he understood what meant!

EatShitDerek Tue 16-Dec-14 15:49:32

Waitingonasunnyday Tue 16-Dec-14 15:50:50

Keep a collection tin by your door and shake it at them when you answer. Then ask them to sign a direct debit form.

wink1970 Tue 16-Dec-14 15:53:27

You should name & shame them.

For the record we had collectors for the Royal National Institute for the Blind about 3 weeks ago; the chap was extremely rude when we said we have chosen charities we donate to - he demanded DH named them & how much! Cheeky bugger. RNIB you will never now get a penny from me.

pinkyredrose Tue 16-Dec-14 15:53:53

Never heard of braying that isn't donkey related but YANBU. Can't stand doorstep collectors, it so intrusive. They should be banned.

pinkyredrose Tue 16-Dec-14 15:54:51

Waiting grin

EatShitDerek Tue 16-Dec-14 15:54:54

NCIS Tue 16-Dec-14 15:55:18

Never heard of it used in that context, is it a regional thing?

But yanbu, I would ignore and definitely not donate.

EatShitDerek Tue 16-Dec-14 15:55:40

formerbabe Tue 16-Dec-14 15:59:58

One good tip I have is whatever they are collecting for tell them you are so pleased they knocked and how much can they give you?!

For example

''We are collecting for such and such kids charity"
"Brilliant, I've got two kids and am skint, how much can you donate to me?"

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Tue 16-Dec-14 16:00:26

I'm in Leeds too <waves to Derek> and agree that banging loudly on doors is routinely described as 'braying'.

We too get the charity collectors and I just ignore them now. I give to a number of charities by direct debit and do not wish to donate to any more currently.

I also do not buy from anyone that comes to the door.

18yearstooold Tue 16-Dec-14 16:00:36

They routinely come, braying on my front door between 5.30 and 7.30pm

My front door opens straight into my living room and is about 3ft from my chair

I always think there is some big emergency, jump several feet in the air and rush to the door to be greeted by 'we're not collecting money'

Well why the chuff are you knocking on my door then???

wonkylegs Tue 16-Dec-14 16:01:00

I love having a really long driveway, I spied 2 charity collectors trying to decide whether or not to bother walking down it the other day and they decided not to grin

IlEstNeLeDivinTrevorslattery Tue 16-Dec-14 16:01:06

'Brayed' is a normal term for knocking the shit out of someone or something this is true in the North East too smile

mistletoeprickles Tue 16-Dec-14 16:03:37

We had one at 9.45 the other night and I did think it was the police knocking!

We tend to be in bed by 9pm so my first thought was something had happened to someone and I have to admit I went a little bit nuts at the man blush

crazykat Tue 16-Dec-14 16:04:43

I hate it when charity fundraisers knock really loud. I had one knock so loud they woke newborn ds and scared the life out of me, then when I tried to say 'no thanks', while holding a screaming baby, they wouldn't shut up and got all offended.

I think braying is a Yorkshire thing, Id never heard it used in that context till I moved here.

KingJoffreysHasABigWhiteBeard Tue 16-Dec-14 16:06:53

Knocking on someone's door and asking for their bank details is pretty rude anyway. You'd need balls of steel to do it.

So I guess if you know you're going to be rude and bend social boundaries you may as well hammer on the door like a loon and properly piss people off.

EatShitDerek Tue 16-Dec-14 16:06:57

KatherinaMinola Tue 16-Dec-14 16:07:00

9.45pm! shock I think I would complain to the charity. That's well outside social hours.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: