Talk

Advanced search

A friend said in being unreasonable to not find men attractive unless they have blue eyes

(47 Posts)
Googleiq Tue 16-Dec-14 15:10:28

I was talking with a friend and he said that I was being ridiculous and slightly racist by only finding blue eyed men attractive aibu?

NaiceNickname Tue 16-Dec-14 15:12:49

I can't see how something as insignificant as eye colour can make someone attractive or unattractive, but we all have our preferences. I certainly wouldn't rule someone out just for their eye colour hmm

InanimateCarbonRod Tue 16-Dec-14 15:13:42

I only find men with beards and long stubble attractive. Am I being face-ist?

SunnaClausIsComingToTown Tue 16-Dec-14 15:13:52

I've only ever been out with boys/men with brown eyes. Blue eyes always look insincere to me.

I know it's irrational.

MissPenelopeLumawoo2 Tue 16-Dec-14 15:15:00

I mainly like dark brown eyes, they make me swoon!! But, I don't think that I would rule out any particular eye colour if I liked someone. I don't think you are being 'racist' though, blue-eyed men are not a race and you are entitled to have a preference.

ilovesooty Tue 16-Dec-14 15:15:09

Is this serious?

HellKitty Tue 16-Dec-14 15:15:16

I've got blue eyes but find them cold in a man.

Andrewofgg Tue 16-Dec-14 15:15:59

There's no accounting for tastes and no need to justify them either.

cloggal Tue 16-Dec-14 15:16:42

You've got a type and you're allowed to have one. Hard to see the issue.

GlitzAndGigglesx Tue 16-Dec-14 15:18:26

Oh ffs people need to stop throwing racist around at any given chance!! No you're not racist for only liking blue eyed men. I prefer men with dark facial hair than clean shaven. My friend prefers blonde haired men. Everyone is different

AMumInScotland Tue 16-Dec-14 15:18:27

Everyone has preferences over who they find attractive in that sense. That doesn't make you racist, ageist, heightist, or anything else. You could argue that pretty much everyone is sexist if you start down that line!

You're limiting your options a bit, but that's your choice.

Nomama Tue 16-Dec-14 15:18:44

Presumably he owns brown eyes!!

But as blue eyes are due to a lack of pigment and are not all that uncommon in Africans and archeology suggests that blue eyes came before pale skin, research on La Braña-Arintero stone age man he may not have any point at all.

But as I don't believe in racism - we all came from a very small gene set and so are all related and I don't feel comfortable poking nasties at a cousin - I am not the best person to comment!

fluffyraggies Tue 16-Dec-14 15:18:51

Brown eyes for me and gorgeous long dark lashes like DH's, sigh

I'm blue eyed.

How is it racist to like blue eyes? confused 'The Brown Eyed' are not a race.

trulybadlydeeply Tue 16-Dec-14 15:19:32

My Mum told me never to trust a man with blue eyes! (I felt guilty for years for marrying blue eyed DH1).

You friend is being ridiculous.

dirkdiggler1 Tue 16-Dec-14 15:22:34

YANBU. I don't find black women at all attractive - or a least I've never met/seen one. I'm not saying never, but it's pretty unlikely. Doesn't mean I'm racist.

RufusTheReindeer Tue 16-Dec-14 15:23:39

sunna

That's funny, I think the opposite!!

I think it's hard to hide behind blue eyes but I get distracted by the "please trust me" lustre of brown eyes. Brown eyes just seem softer to me

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Tue 16-Dec-14 15:28:07

YANBU.
Even is you were not attracted to men of a certain ethnicity, how on earth would that make you racist? Are people going to have to fulfill race quotas when dating now?
I am straight. Do I discriminate against women because I am not sexually attracted to them?

Andrewofgg Tue 16-Dec-14 15:29:32

Racism, sexism, homophobia and the other prejudices are not engage in the formation of personal and intimate associations. Each to their own in that department.

JudgeyHotPants Tue 16-Dec-14 15:29:44

This reminds me of a pizza delivery man who came to my house once. I opened the door and I was really taken a back by just how blue his eyes were, they were incredibly striking. I was rendered speechless for a few moments.

Mulderandskully Tue 16-Dec-14 15:31:07

I love blue eyes although DH has hazel.

RufusTheReindeer Tue 16-Dec-14 15:31:58

I was asked by my boss at a works do ( long time ago) whether I fancied Imran Kahn

I said no, and she then told the whole department that I didn't fancy Pakistani men confused

So by that logic if I don't fancy Boris Johnson then I don't fancy white men!!!

vdbfamily Tue 16-Dec-14 15:33:17

I guarantee you will end up married to someone brown eyed. My husband looks nothing at all like the ideal I had in my head but who you eventually fall in love often is nothing like your ideal!!

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Tue 16-Dec-14 15:36:13

I just wonder what the context of the conversation was?

it just reminds me times I've talked to friends who complained about being single yet were incredibly fussy about giving guys a chance who didn't meet exacting criteria! smile smile

SeasonsEatings Tue 16-Dec-14 15:38:29

I don't fancy skinny or short men. My colleague was incredulous about the latter but its true...

EatShitDerek Tue 16-Dec-14 15:41:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now