Talk

Advanced search

There is a rat in my green bin WIBU never to use it again?

(50 Posts)
Graciescotland Tue 16-Dec-14 14:11:00

Went to put a bag in it's only a third full and there was a great big rat in there. Was about to drop bag in and did so anyway before slamming the lid and running away. What do I do next? Not use it till next bin day or stick a brick on top to stop it escaping? Throw in some mouse/ rat poison?

LordEmsworth Tue 16-Dec-14 14:16:56

I'd just move house...

DeckTheHoopsWithBoughsOfHolly Tue 16-Dec-14 14:22:29

Take your pick:

1) Wait till it's dark and then swap the bin with whichever neighbour you least like.

2) Call the council who will probably charge you a huge amount to kill it.

3) Adopt it.

4) Borrow a cat and introduce them.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 16-Dec-14 14:22:30

Call pest control at the council.

Or

Open lid of bin and run away v fast. Pray it's gone in an hour or two.

ConferencePear Tue 16-Dec-14 14:23:47

Perhaps your green bin is different from mine. How did it get in ?

NobodyLivesHere Tue 16-Dec-14 14:25:29

I would also run away screaming. Yanbu

Call pest control/someone not scared. I dunno.

ThePrincessWhoSatOnTheSprout Tue 16-Dec-14 14:28:00

Ummm... how did he get in?

AMumInScotland Tue 16-Dec-14 14:31:41

I think I would want it to escape, so I would be trying to help it do that rather than make it difficult.

How did it get in? Presumably there's no way it can climb out? Can you tip the whole thing on its side?

DeckTheHoopsWithBoughsOfHolly Tue 16-Dec-14 14:32:13

Also, if there's one there will be more.

TheCowThatLaughs Tue 16-Dec-14 14:36:52

Just let it out the poor thing. It's Christmas fsmile

WrappedInABlankie Tue 16-Dec-14 14:44:01

I'd leave it, it's bin day tomorrow... confused

PigletInABlanketJohn Tue 16-Dec-14 14:47:56

Either throw some rat poison in, or tip the bin on its side so it can escape.

If the lid was shut, how did it get in?

FlimwellUnderpass Tue 16-Dec-14 14:48:30

This is a living creature that probably got a shock when you crashed in. Let it out.

Fudgeface123 Tue 16-Dec-14 14:50:06

Let it out, don't poison it

Mammanat222 Tue 16-Dec-14 14:50:29

I once saw the biggest spider ever in my bin cupboard (outside the property) and never used it ever again.

I went about 4 years without ever putting rubbish in it or taking it out shock]

Mammanat222 Tue 16-Dec-14 14:51:00

That was of course meant to be shock

GooodMythicalMorning Tue 16-Dec-14 14:52:29

Is green the recycling? Howd it get in there??

NoLongerJustAShopGirl Tue 16-Dec-14 14:53:32

It's a rat... rats eat rubbish - you've happened upon a great way to get around the 2 week bin service - let the rat eat it... you will have more room to put stuff in the bin - and be more "green"

IAmLiftzilla Tue 16-Dec-14 14:53:42

From bitter experience I can tell you rats get in anywhere through the smallest hole and straight up vertical surfaces. It'll make its own way out of there soon enough. Sympathies op I fucking hate fucking rats but they are everywhere in modern cities. Have some gin, it's the only way to go now.

BertieBotts Tue 16-Dec-14 14:55:02

Green is normally garden/food waste.

I agree with trying to let it escape and then put a brick on top in future (ie when it's been emptied!) - but when it's been collected it might be worth checking there are no holes in the bottom. You'd think bins like that would be rat proof, but there's a chance it could have chewed through I suppose.

Graciescotland Tue 16-Dec-14 15:22:33

No idea how it got in, I don't tend to leave the lid up and there were only two bags in there. Green bin is general waste, blue bin is recycling. Brown is compost/ food waste (which we don't have as council don't collect from our place).

We're rural but I'm a city girl originally. Must go lay down the law with the resident cats.

NurseRoscoe Tue 16-Dec-14 15:26:30

I would probably blow it up so no yanbu

ChristmasCrackerPop Tue 16-Dec-14 15:34:19

I honestly would kick the bin over and run back indoors. And hope that it runs away too! X

Mulderandskully Tue 16-Dec-14 15:37:18

They do get in somehow. I worked somewhere once where one got in and gave birth to RAT BABIES which were promptly drowned in the liquid at the bottom. BOAK

I would also leave it open so it can get out but probably wouldn't go in the garden again until March

mindthegap79 Tue 16-Dec-14 15:43:08

Reading this thread has made me go outside to check my bin is properly closed, and I have also placed a brick on top. Poor you OP flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now