Talk

Advanced search

to ask whether you'd be happy for somebody with bronchitis to come stay?

(52 Posts)
royaldavescity Tue 16-Dec-14 12:19:17

Would you be happy for somebody who has bronchitis (acute viral, so therefore contagious) to come stay with you for 3 nights if:

You had a 3yo, who currently has a virus themselves (cough, temperature) but otherwise usually in good health;
and an adult who has a weakened immune system (diabetic)

Or would you ask them to make alternative plans?

We're talking about over Xmas so still a week away obviously, but said person is older so unlikely to get over the bronchitis quickly. Assuming that they will still be symptomatic next week, would you be happy for them to come?

CheeseBuster Tue 16-Dec-14 12:21:34

I would be fine with it.

Isawmommykissingsantaclaus14 Tue 16-Dec-14 12:22:21

No I wouldn't.

Isawmommykissingsantaclaus14 Tue 16-Dec-14 12:23:19

There is a lot of what ifs and really only you can make the judgement call.

KingJoffreysHasABigWhiteBeard Tue 16-Dec-14 12:23:33

No. They should be at home in bed.

No ifs. No buts.

100 years ago bronchitis would've killed you, obviously now we have good medicines but you still need to be sensible about illnesses.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Tue 16-Dec-14 12:25:37

Over Christmas? Yes.

What would the ill person do if they don't come to you? Would they be on their own?

Lucyandpoppy Tue 16-Dec-14 12:25:59

I wouldnt. I have an autoimmune illness and if you have a lowered immune system drs do advise that you stay well clear of anyone with an infectious illness so yeah, not worth the risk.

royaldavescity Tue 16-Dec-14 12:29:16

If they didn't come to us they would have the option of either staying home alone (which I imagine they would want to do anyway if still feeling very poorly), or if feeling better but still symptomatic they could go to relatives who have no "at risk" people in the household (no children / elderly / lowered immune systems)

But putting that aside, just interested in whether people would be happy for them to come or not based on the illness alone.

TheFriar Tue 16-Dec-14 12:31:17

Lots of 'IF' there.
Eg being diabetic doesn't mean that you can't deal with any infection at all. But for some they would struggle. So it depends on the person.
Same with a 3yo who has a virus. If generally well and dealing well with illnesses, I wouldn't be so careful.

What I would do is checking that the person who is ill will actually be well enough to come over (if it means for that person to stay over in bed all day, then it might nit be the best thing for them to do. They would be better in their own bed) or if, being Christmas etc, it round mean that the person epmd be along whilst ill (esp if elderly person).

If you have any doubt, what I would do to check for how long someone is contagious. They might well still be ill but not contagious anymore.

Stripylikeatiger Tue 16-Dec-14 12:33:14

No I wouldn't be happy for them to come and stay as my toddler has vital asthma so we try to keep him away from viruses which can trigger breathing difficulties in him.

I wouldn't want to go and stay with relatives if I had a contagious illness as I'd feel terrible if I gave them the illness.

TheFriar Tue 16-Dec-14 12:33:41

No one on our household that is elderly or with'wrak immune system'. We do have young dcs though and I would have had no issue at all with that person coming as long as they are well enough to cope with the trip etc.
I'm assuming the person here is a family member (close?)

WanderingTrolley1 Tue 16-Dec-14 12:36:36

Not particularly, no.

WhichChimney Tue 16-Dec-14 12:36:40

No

Quenelle Tue 16-Dec-14 12:39:08

No. I had bronchitis in the summer. I had to miss the first three days of my holiday and it was bloody miserable. Apart from the contagiousness of it, I had to sleep sitting up and had a wracking cough which kept waking DH and DS up.

If it were me, I wouldn't want to visit, I would want to stay at home where I could wallow in my own misery and cough as loudly as I liked without worrying about disturbing other people.

apotatoprintinapeartree Tue 16-Dec-14 12:39:58

Its still a while till xmas yet, is the person receiving ab as these will surely have kicked in by then and the infection gone.

CleanLinesSharpEdges Tue 16-Dec-14 12:42:28

I can't imagine that anyone with acute viral bronchitis would want to go and stay anywhere, other than their own home and their own bed.

MonstrousRatbag Tue 16-Dec-14 12:43:17

No. In my case because I have a DD with a history of respiratory illness who is on the 3rd cold in a row. If she caught it, there is a high chance she'd end up in hospital again.

MonstrousRatbag Tue 16-Dec-14 12:45:41

Actually, sorry, it's hardly helpful to answer based on a scenario that doesn't apply to you. I would say no in your circumstances too, I'm afraid.

desertgirl Tue 16-Dec-14 12:46:09

apotato, if it is viral bronchitis as per the OP, ABs would be pointless, they only work for bacterial infections.

Think the answer to OP's question is 'it depends' but would not normally occur to me as a problem if person well enough to come.

sleepybuthappy Tue 16-Dec-14 12:48:08

No. If your toddler catches it his Xmas will be ruined. We have had so much illness in our household lately (1 baby and 1 toddler) that I won't go near anyone who is sick right now, I'm so desperate to have a sickness free Xmas holiday!
It might be different if it meant the person would be alone for Xmas but it sounds like there is a perfectly reasonable plan b.

offtoseethewizard64 Tue 16-Dec-14 12:53:06

I have a DD with a compromised immune system and usually leave it up to friends/relatives to make their own decisions about whether they think they are infectious or not. Thankfully, I have sensible friends and relatives who understand DDs issues and if anything are usually a little over cautious.
I have had DSs music teacher cancel lessons in the past as he has a cold and doesn't want to bring it into our house because of DD (he is married to a nurse so I suspect she is often behind that decision)

royaldavescity Tue 16-Dec-14 13:11:40

Thanks for the replies. The person in question would be likely to come down even if still unwell, unless asked not to - they are very much the type to carry on regardless, also has a very laid back attitude towards illness, and we're not convinced they would be sensible enough to stay at home.

whois Tue 16-Dec-14 13:26:35

I don't think I woukd. But I'd do a bit of research on how contagious and how it's passed on before I made a decision as I don't really know enough at the moment.

royaldavescity Tue 16-Dec-14 13:51:24

It's airborne as well as living on surfaces for 24 hours. So in the space of 3 days seems like quite a chance it could be passed on.

DeckTheHallsWithBartimaeus Tue 16-Dec-14 13:53:50

My baby currently has bronchitis. Caught off his 3 year old brother sad

I would not be happy if someone outside the family came and gave it to us. We have had 2 very tough weeks and the baby still isn't completely well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now