Talk

Advanced search

to ask if posting school videos on social media sites is acceptable?

(18 Posts)
MrsGoslingWannabe Tue 16-Dec-14 00:05:19

SILK posted a link on FB to a You Tube video of her DD's school's Merry Christmas video. Its just smiling dancing kids. But surely they'd need parental consent? I just don't think its a good idea showing all the kids as well as identifying the school.

18yearstooold Tue 16-Dec-14 00:15:18

And that is why a lot of schools now ban cameras at performances

Sigh

BikeRunSki Tue 16-Dec-14 00:21:34

We have to sign a form at school performances saying that we will not put photos/videos on public sites or social media.

I have to sign for photo permission so often for my dc that I would be annoyed if someone put their video on social media. Annoyed because it's not their decision to make pics of my dc public; but not livid because I do not mind who knows where they are at school. But I do know a people who have good reason not to want people to know where their dc are.

GloriousGloria Tue 16-Dec-14 00:23:36

Christ I would go mad if someone just posted a video that my child was in in to you tube!!

We are no NC with some family members due to violence issues and things like this could endanger us both.

Some people think other parents are just being precious but unless you know full details don't judge and don't publicly broadcast

MrsGoslingWannabe Tue 16-Dec-14 00:24:32

DD's HT allows cameras but we've had to sign something to say we won't post online. I'd be bloody furious if another parent did so. What right do they have?

ilovesooty Tue 16-Dec-14 00:34:23

Absolutely unacceptable for all the reasons given above.

chipsandpeas Tue 16-Dec-14 07:15:28

but surely if its been posted on youtube its already online so still the school should have gotten permission
your SIL is just sharing something that is already out there

AuntieStella Tue 16-Dec-14 07:20:48

Who out it on YouTube?

Did that person have permission from all families?

If not, then it was wrong to post there, and of course wrong to repost it.

It is wrong to publish pictures without consent (not necessarily illegal though).

treaclesoda Tue 16-Dec-14 07:23:10

I would never do it personally but I can also see that there is a grey area in some circumstances. eg my dc's school choir were singing in a shopping centre yesterday. Any random passersby were free to take photos or record them and if for some reason they decided to then post it on YouTube or elsewhere online they were free to do so. So in those circumstances it seems bizarre that it would be wrong for a parent but fine for a stranger.

But still, as I say, I wouldn't do it myself.

Greencurtain Tue 16-Dec-14 07:24:05

Completely unacceptable but probably ignorance.
At the start of anything like this at our school, a teacher clearly says: do not put videos or photos online.

Jennifersrabbit Tue 16-Dec-14 07:24:14

Well parental videoing of school events and then uploading to social media is an extremely bad idea as it can be a big security risk for some kids - mainly adopted and fostered, or where there has been a separation due to domestic abuse.

Is this a (for want of a better word) promotional video done by the school, rather than a video of the school Christmas show? In which case they will have removed any kids who can't be filmed so probably safe enough - but seems a bit unnecessary.

ChoudeBruxelles Tue 16-Dec-14 07:32:19

If it's the schools own channel they'll have taken out any kids who can't be filmed. In that case no problem.

If it's a video from a parent I would report it to school and YouTube.

26Point2Miles Tue 16-Dec-14 07:36:20

What's the point in 'signing something'?? It's in no way legally binding, what a waste of time

My dd's friends all put videos up themselves!

treaclesoda Tue 16-Dec-14 08:11:58

I suppose the point of signing something is that it takes the responsibility from the school and onto the actual person who has recorded it, which is fair enough. If someone complains to the school about another parent having recorded something, the school can say, quite rightly, well, consent was given for the recording part, and the parent promised not to upload it to YouTube, so we have fulfilled our obligations here.

MrsGoslingWannabe Tue 16-Dec-14 13:42:56

The video was filmed by school yes so perhaps its ok after all. I was a little concerned about a girl rather scantily clad (for a 9 yo- skinny jeans, tummy showing while dancing) and then realised it was my niece! There's no way I'd have my DD on You Tube like that ready for some creep to perv over hmm

Minisoksmakehardwork Tue 16-Dec-14 13:48:38

Our school get us to sign to say whether photos can be taken/used in house/for external media for the schools purposes.

Parents are told they may take photos but have to seek permission from the parents of every child individually if they want to upload photos/videos to social media.

What happens is parents take photos then crop out every other child.

TeenAndTween Tue 16-Dec-14 15:41:44

If the school posted it, they should have already checked permissions and made sure only children with permission were included. Therefore sending a link is OK.

If a parent posted it then definitely not OK.

TheFriar Tue 16-Dec-14 15:49:23

I would never allow that but then a lot of people, incl on MN, think it's totally ok to put photo of their dcs on FB and that you can't stop people (eg aunty, grand parents or friends) to do so either.
So I'm not surprised....

I really hope this is coming from the school. Otherwise, I would be contacting the HT to let them know (them they can do whatever they deem appropriate)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now