Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be really pissed off about this?

(14 Posts)
LiquidSilk Mon 15-Dec-14 22:05:50

Hi all,
Don't know if I'm overreacting here as I'm normally incredibly laid back, however something was said at work today which has really annoyed me.
In a meeting with 5 people, including the MD. Lady from finance has a mouse plugged into her laptop. MD says "she thinks it's an iron not a mouse so she can actually use it well. We should all take our shirts off for her to iron."
This follows a similar comment from the finance director last week about a course attended by many women in the business, saying "next course is about how to iron."
All said in a jokey way but AIBU to find it starting to grate somewhat? Thanks

Bumpedbonce Mon 15-Dec-14 22:07:04

Not unreasonable at all he's clearly an arse

redexpat Mon 15-Dec-14 22:08:13

No that would piss me off too. No idea what you could do about it though. Am sure someone wise will be along soon to advise.

Twitterqueen Mon 15-Dec-14 22:10:12

How about, ""if that's an iron I guess yours is a spade, really useful for digging yourself a politically incorrect hole "

raltheraffe Mon 15-Dec-14 22:10:30

I had that when I was a junior surgeon. The senior consultant, a very posh man, very old school who has since long retired, watched me and said "come on dear, just imagine you are darning your husband's socks". As it was such a ludicrous thing to say I just got the giggles, laughing more at him than with him and he looked a bit embarrassed.

LiquidSilk Mon 15-Dec-14 22:21:09

Normally I don't think it would bother me - it's just the gales of sycophantic laughter that greet every utterance! Argh!

yoshipoppet Tue 16-Dec-14 11:44:59

Get him this book, seeing as he's so obsessed with ironing smile
www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Ironing-Phil-Shaw/dp/1843305550/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418730230&sr=1-1&keywords=extreme+ironing

Crinkle77 Tue 16-Dec-14 11:58:10

It['s a bit of an odd comment to make full stop.

EmberElftree Tue 16-Dec-14 12:10:56

My ex-boss was one of these and it used to feel like someone was grating my eyeballs every time the sycophantic plebs piped in up in the so called management meetings killing themselves laughing at his "humour". There was one woman in the team other than me who used to play along with him and innuendoed herself silly trying to impress him. It seemed to work though as when she left he mistily eyed said "oh I miss blah blah she was such a breath of fresh air". Just couldn't muster up lowering myself - must have thought I was a right frosty bitch grin

SunnyBaudelaire Tue 16-Dec-14 12:13:01

downright offensive, the old fucker needs a kick in the jacksie

KarenHillavoidJimmyswarehouse Tue 16-Dec-14 12:24:52

To be honest it's not even funny. Why did he bother making a comment which wasn't funny, insightful or useful? Arsehole.

AMumInScotland Tue 16-Dec-14 12:29:50

YANBU. Of course.

Can you manage an eye-rolling "Riiiiight.... Had you noticed it isn't the fifties any more? Hasn't been for a while now." or similar when they do it?

And/or look for a new job. You get arseholes anywhere, but you can hope they're not right at the top, with sycophants all around.

Shedwood Tue 16-Dec-14 12:47:08

Just say "my grandfather says things like that; I never realised you were in your 80s, have you had some work done?" and look quizzically at him.

Then whatever he comes back with reply:

"and again that's something my grandfather would say; what era were you born in exactly?"

Most blokes making "jokes" like this think they're young and trendy and being one of the lads, so pointing out that they're actually making themselves seem old and old-fashioned usually shuts them up.

WhatchaMaCalllit Tue 16-Dec-14 13:24:36

You need to have a few of these printed off ahead of the next meeting and if either gobsh!te mentions ironing etc.. lash it out on to the boardroom table and say "Ah, I'm glad you decided to break the ice on this...I wasn't sure how to raise the issue"

mistupid.com/jokes/page120.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now