Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to tell my manager that i'm prengant by email?

(72 Posts)
onemiddlefinger Mon 15-Dec-14 14:21:37

I need to leave for a antenatal appointment in about 5 min and wanted to tell him before that I was pregnant and going to leave early for an appointment, but somehow didn't catch him earlier (ok I was putting it off), now I can hear him talking to another colleague but I now can't wait anymore, plus I find it easier to write in an email....
Is it weird?
It's my second pregnancy and I somehow feel a bit quilty... (he wasn't my boss the first time)

Funkytown Mon 15-Dec-14 14:23:35

just ask if you can have a quiet word then say that you just wanted to let him know that you are leaving to go to your antenatal appointment

Leeza2 Mon 15-Dec-14 14:25:21

I don't think it's reasonable to leave work without any notice for an ante natal appointment . Just because you are entitled to time off to attend doesn't mean that you don't have to inform your employer . You can't just walk out

onemiddlefinger Mon 15-Dec-14 14:26:04

so is sending an email considered strange?
I just feel much more comfortable doing it this way TBH.

Fallingovercliffs Mon 15-Dec-14 14:26:04

Can you not just email him that you have a medical appointment and had tried to catch him on his own to tell him?

onemiddlefinger Mon 15-Dec-14 14:27:20

I wasn't going to leave without any notice, I was going to send an email...
Why is it so strange?
I actually was expecting to be told it's fine....

DoJo Mon 15-Dec-14 14:28:23

Have you really not let anyone at work know that you will need to leave early today? I would probably tell a manager in person if I had left it so late to warn them that I would be going early.

Lorelei353 Mon 15-Dec-14 14:30:10

I don't think it's strange to do it by email as such, but doing it either by email or verbally 5 minutes before you need to leave is wildly inappropriate in my view. You're really not giving any advance notice?

DoJo Mon 15-Dec-14 14:30:26

I think it's strange not to give more notice that you will be leaving early, unless you usually set your own hours and wouldn't be expected to be at work for the rest of the afternoon, but you know best how it will go down in your workplace. If you are sure it won't be a problem, then email should be fine, although surely he might not see it before you have actually left, which is why I would go for telling someone in person.

onemiddlefinger Mon 15-Dec-14 14:30:51

oh crap!
I really don't know what to do now, he is still having a discussion with a colleague, which looks like it can go on for a while...

Leeza2 Mon 15-Dec-14 14:31:20

Sending an email OR speaking to some one in person 5 mins before you have to leave IS no notice . How can they get someone to cover your work ?

I agree you will have to say you have a medical appointment and apologise profusely for not giving notice. Then arrange a face to face meeting tomorrow .

crumblebumblebee Mon 15-Dec-14 14:32:32

Sorry but YABU to have left it so late to tell a manager, unless it was an emergency appt of course.

It isn't considered the right etiquette IMO to email it. I request leave through our system at work and it says for medical appts but I still tell my manager because it's courteous, surely?

onemiddlefinger Mon 15-Dec-14 14:32:54

In my workplace this normally wouldn't be as issue as in I will just pick up tomorrow where I left off, no one has to cover me.
but now that I'm thinking about it - of course I should have told him sooner

TheBiscuitStrikesBack Mon 15-Dec-14 14:33:27

It fine to let him know you have a medical appt by email, not fine IMO to tell him 5 minutes before you need to leave. I wouldn't get away with that.

ScreamingSpires Mon 15-Dec-14 14:34:19

The thread title made me think that great strides have been made in assisted conception..

Just me then?

raltheraffe Mon 15-Dec-14 14:34:27

Are you having a laugh or what?

As an employer I would go ballistic if one of my staff pulled this one on me. You must have known for at least a few days that you had the appointment and should have raised it then, giving your boss the chance to arrange someone to cover for you while you are away.

I have no issues with employees getting pregnant, but would have major issues with someone just nipping out for a few hours without warning me first.

onemiddlefinger Mon 15-Dec-14 14:34:28

I have sort of thought that this sort of thing happened in our office, that people would just casually send an email saying thay have an appointment etc, not really give much advance warning....

InternetFOREVER Mon 15-Dec-14 14:35:31

I'd send quick email saying you need to leave for an appt and sorry for not letting him know sooner, then ask to speak to him next time you're in to tell him. But FWIW I told my boss by email

InfinitySeven Mon 15-Dec-14 14:37:11

I can email to say I have an appt, and I'm not covered so I'd just pick up where I left off. I can't imagine anyone would be too thrilled with five minutes notice, though. I usually give a few days, at the minimum, or at least a few hours for a same day emergency appt. It's courteous.

onemiddlefinger Mon 15-Dec-14 14:37:43

like I said, there are no cover issues in our workplace,
I will simply carry on where I left off tomorrow.
I have sent an email.

FlorenceMattell Mon 15-Dec-14 14:42:11

You are going to email your boss and tell him :
1. You are pregnant
2 You are leaving immediately for an A/N appointment.
No not acceptable. Only if it is a medical emergency eg you are in pain, don't feel baby move, bleeding should you leave without notice. And then on your return you would give a doctors note.
Yes tell him you are pregnant & ask him how much notice he would like re appointments.
Re schedule the antenatal appointment and give notice.
You sound are very self centred to think you can just walk out. Yes you are allowed time of for ante natal appointments but you need to give reasonable notice.

crumblebumblebee Mon 15-Dec-14 14:44:11

I'm sorry to be harsh but all the time you spend pishing about MN would have been better spent telling him face to fave

DidoTheDodo Mon 15-Dec-14 14:46:33

As a manager I would be seriously unimpressed by someone who sent me an email saying they were pregnant as a first action.

I would expect to be told face to face as a courtesy, with a follow up email detailing dates (expected confinement and any ante natal appointments).

onemiddlefinger Mon 15-Dec-14 14:48:46

Well all the time i spent on mn, he was talking to another colleague.
Anyway i have realised i made a mistake in not taking the time to talk to him earlier and wont to this again, so thank you all for comment ing.

msrisotto Mon 15-Dec-14 14:51:17

Ok, I get that thee are some workplaces where you can nip off early some days for appointments with no major issue. Fair enough, if that is the normal way of working. You should let him/her know in person that you are pregnant though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now