Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

re my sister and Christmas decorations

(14 Posts)
Fallingovercliffs Mon 15-Dec-14 13:38:14

My sister lives on her own and will be spending most of the Christmas season at my mum's. As a result, she can't be bothered with the hassle of getting decorations out of storage, putting them up and then taking them down and packing them up again.
My mum was a bit shocked when she heard this and keeps saying to me 'imagine she can't even be bothered to put up a few decorations'.

AIBU to think that my sis is quite right and I'd probably do the same in her situation. (In fact one year I did actually put my decorations up after Christmas day because I had been away for the days around Christmas but was having some friends for dinner on the 30th blush.

She will be surrounded by lovely decorations at my mum's including lots of stuff we've had since we were kids, so it's not as if she's spending Christmas sitting in a bare and unfestive house with ne'er a fairy light!

fatlazymummy Mon 15-Dec-14 13:54:01

Of course your sister doesn't need decorations. They're not compulsory!
Actually I'm a bit jealous of her. It sounds as if she's got Christmas sussed fgrin

Fudgeface123 Mon 15-Dec-14 14:07:30

Well we go away on Boxing Day so I'm not bothering to get all the stuff out of the loft either. It's just DP and I at home so there's no need to bother

Fallingovercliffs Mon 15-Dec-14 14:07:58

Yes, she's quite laid back and doesn't get into all the competitive stuff at all. smile

Kundry Mon 15-Dec-14 14:11:01

I never put up Xmas decorations when I was single. Just seemed like a faff - now DH and I put them up together.

YANBU.

silveroldie2 Mon 15-Dec-14 14:16:54

No Christmas decorations in my home - cards aren't even put on show. It's entirely up to your (sensible) sister not to be dragged into the hysteria.

Thurlow Mon 15-Dec-14 14:17:02

I never put Xmas decorations up went we were younger - living in shared houses or small flats, going home for about a week for Christmas - couldn't be arsed!

Lottapianos Mon 15-Dec-14 14:19:53

Nowt wrong with your sister at all. DP and I can't stand Christmas, it leaves us both completely cold, so we don't put up a single decoration either. The living room looks the same as it does on every other day of the year. Wouldn't have it any other way smile

DoJo Mon 15-Dec-14 14:25:33

Never really bothered with decorations until we had a child - didn't really see the point although we did have an open fire which made it feel festive all winter long.

ScrambledeggLDCcakeBOAK Mon 15-Dec-14 14:40:30

What's the point if she's not even going to be there!

misskangaandroo2014 Mon 15-Dec-14 14:52:05

Many a year I didn't bother when Christmas was with others. It's a lot of effort I preferred to put into preparing presents for friends and family!

WeAreEternal Mon 15-Dec-14 14:57:48

If I was on my own with no DCs I wouldn't bother either.

However, DP loves Christmas -- he had many, many awful ones as a child so loves our family christmas-- he loves our traditions and decorations. We also have an 8 year old who is just like his dad and loves Christmas.

I enjoy watching them get excited about it and enjoy it all, but honestly I couldn't give two hoots about all of the shiny sparkly crap.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Mon 15-Dec-14 15:24:01

Your sis seems perfectly sensible. In fact, it would be an act of madness to put a tree up for the benefit of an empty house.

We haven't always bothered with decorations (no DCs) and one year put the tree up on Dec 27th which was the day I bought it in the Argos sale grin.

We'd occasionally had a real one before but I just couldn't deal with the hassle and mess and they are really expensive for the time you have them for.

I mentioned this to my mum who pulled the cats bum face because she couldn't get her head round putting it up after christmas.

CheeseBuster Mon 15-Dec-14 15:26:35

Only put up in my family if there will be kids about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now