Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you have ever been to a wedding where someone was "jilted"

(106 Posts)
Mammanat222 Mon 15-Dec-14 10:48:59

Was talking to MIL yesterday and she said she has been to 3 where this has happened.

One was a classic jilt - the bride didn't turn up, the other two there were issues at the ceremony. Fight between bride and groom at one ceremony and bride leaving another ceremony.

Seriously - 3??? shock

Although she did say in her lifetime she has been to well over 100 weddings (receptions, she has been to less ceremonies)

It got me thinking that it can't be that uncommon?

Has anyone been to a wedding where this has happened?

museumum Mon 15-Dec-14 10:50:00

That's a crazy number of weddings to have been invited to! I've only been to about ten.
I was invited to one that was cancelled with less than a week to go. Very brave of the bride. The right decision.

Mama1980 Mon 15-Dec-14 10:52:50

Yes as a child, proper East end wedding, bride changed her mind and wouldn't get out of the carriage. Cue lots of yelling and guests adjourning to nearby pub, where a fight broke out, not helped by the fact it was football derby day too. My grandparents got us out of there at the speed of light!

TheWitTank Mon 15-Dec-14 10:54:34

I know of two that were called off in the week before -and one where the wedding was cancelled the month before as the bride met someone on her hen do and went on to marry him!

Storytown Mon 15-Dec-14 10:58:07

No but I do know someone who met her husband at his engagement party! She's a lovely woman and not at all flirty, I'd love to know all the details as I just can't see it happening. They're a perfectly ordinary "nice" married couple been married over 20 years.

granny24 Mon 15-Dec-14 10:58:29

Happened in my family during WE2. Briefly they took an unexpected last minute guest to rich friends only daughter's wedding. It was in Africa and guest recognised groom as a married man from his own village in UK.

Storytown Mon 15-Dec-14 10:59:46

Blimey granny, the Lord (or fate) does work in mysterious ways.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 15-Dec-14 11:00:25

My sister was very late for her wedding and we worried she had changed her mind. The groom's family gave us weird looks until she showed up.

My dad had tripped on the steps on the way to collect her and only woken up in an ambulance as he'd hit his head.
My sister had run out to get a taxi there but it took ages to get one as she was heavily pregnant they avoided her flagging them down in case she was in labour.
She made it eventually but got divorced a few years later, so perhaps if she hadn't made it it wouldn't have been that bad!ۥ

Redhead11 Mon 15-Dec-14 11:08:04

Nope, never had that, but there was one famous occasion that the bride was 3/4 of an hour late. I had played through almost all the music i had with me (I was unlucky enough to be the organist) and was thinking about starting again at the beginning! Nobody came to tell me what was going on. The limo had been hired from Edinburgh and the sat-nav didn't have the street in the small town where i lived. One of the guests went out and found the limo and guided it to the bride's home. the bride was distraught and I thought the groom was going to pass out with nerves!

SirChenjin Mon 15-Dec-14 11:13:06

I've been to one where the bride was 45 minutes late - her explanation was really vague and they separated 6 weeks after the wedding. It was very sad, but I think she'd felt under pressure to marry him - he'd supported her through a long mental illness and I think she felt she had to marry him after that.

Fallingovercliffs Mon 15-Dec-14 11:25:22

No, but I remember working with a guy who was heading off one Friday evening and looking forward to attending his BIL's wedding the following day. When we asked him on Monday morning if he'd enjoyed it, he said the groom had come home on Friday evening and announced he'd been made redundant and the bride called off the wedding.

I think they did eventually go on to get married, but not certain.

ToffeeCaramel Mon 15-Dec-14 11:34:17

I haven't but when I was on my way to my wedding in the wedding car the driver said that he had once driven a bride to a wedding and she had asked him to turn back. He said it was like the weight of the world had been lifted from her shoulders when she turned back. He said her mum and sister turned up and started yelling at her about it

Dontstepinthecowpat Mon 15-Dec-14 11:37:56

I was 45 minutes late to my wedding and honestly had thought about what people were thinking until the thread! It was 8 years ago shock

The car was very very late.

Dontstepinthecowpat Mon 15-Dec-14 11:38:10

Hadn't thought!

Songofsixpence Mon 15-Dec-14 11:42:38

I was invited to one which was called off 2 days before the wedding, and went to another where the couple announced their split when they returned from honeymoon

Summerisle1 Mon 15-Dec-14 11:44:18

Blimey Mamma does your MIL live in Ambridge?!

I've never been to a wedding that didn't happen on the day but I know a couple of people who left it until quite late on to call off their weddings. I admired them for realising they'd made the wrong decision and doing something about it. Only there's an awful lot of pressure to go ahead on the basis that it'll cause so much upset to cancel. If something is badly wrong with a relationship before the wedding it is rarely any better after it.

A friend always wished she had jilted her first husband. It would have saved the humiliation of him going off with the best man's fiancee on their honeymoon!

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 15-Dec-14 11:46:35

My mum has. The bride not only didn't turn up but took the opportunity of having the house free to empty of all her things and move out.

The groom committed suicide a few months later.

BackforGood Mon 15-Dec-14 11:49:09

No Ive never seen it happen.

I dont think 100 weddings is a lot to have been to -obv I dont know op's Mil's age but its likely to be 2 a year or fewer. You go through some times in your life where you might go to 4 or 5 in a year.

CatWreathkeith Mon 15-Dec-14 11:49:46

I used to run a wedding venue and it happened to is twice, once the bride didn't show up, and once the groom.

The jilted bridegroom just went home and the whole thing was cancelled, the jilted bride had the reception anyway and jetted off to Barbados the next day by herself. She was amazing.

MonstrousRatbag Mon 15-Dec-14 11:53:09

A relative was jilted the day she and evil ex got back from honeymoon. He told her dreadful things about herself, said he'd only been in it for the party and the honeymoon her parents had paid for and walked out, leaving her with a house she couldn't afford to pay for on her own.

A friend was jilted when his bride-to-be ran off with the best man the night before. He found out early in the morning and had to wake family and guests to tell them. It was a lavish do abroad. Turns out the affair had been going on a while. Why on earth didn't they tell the groom before everyone got on planes and flew thousands of miles?

HeyheyheyGoodbye Mon 15-Dec-14 11:55:15

Not jilted, but I went to one where the couple had a screaming fight at the reception, didn't spend their wedding night together, and then one of them ran off to New Zealand and made it hell for the other to get a divorce!

HeyheyheyGoodbye Mon 15-Dec-14 11:57:16

I also knew someone who had a fight with her new husband on honeymoon and threw her extremely expensive wedding and engagement rings into the sea.

They got back together eventually and his parents paid for the rings to be replaced as a surprise - then she revealed she hadn't actually thrown them away at all, and had just said that to hurt him! People are bonkers.

SavoyCabbage Mon 15-Dec-14 11:58:21

Is your mum Emily Bishop? 100 weddings!

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 15-Dec-14 12:00:47

No but I know of one that was called off a week beforehand and went to another where the bride's father threw the best man out in the middle of his speech. I've been to about 40 weddings over the years, that one was the most memorable.

Mammanat222 Mon 15-Dec-14 12:02:52

*My mum has. The bride not only didn't turn up but took the opportunity of having the house free to empty of all her things and move out.

The groom committed suicide a few months later*

God that is horrible. Really sad.

I started the thread as I didn't think 100+ weddings was that much for an almost 60 year old to have attended over the years [she did say "well over" 100 though], and I was surprised at the fact 3 were non starters... made me think it was more common than a lot of people would think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now