Talk

Advanced search

To think this is pretty shit way for a gym to conduct themselves on facebook?

(18 Posts)
Fanfeckintastic Mon 15-Dec-14 10:37:29

I manage a shop in a small shopping centre and there's a pay as you go gym on top. I often toy with the idea of going if childcare asn't such an issue so I liked the page on facebook and I'm shocked at the content of their page!

Today they have a picture taken from the internet of two overweight women on treadmills and made a really derogatory comment, other pictures include pictures of women in McDonnalds etc and memes including really big women, women with cellulite etc.

Am I being over sensitive or s this a horrible way for a gym to conduct themselves?

cardibach Mon 15-Dec-14 10:41:42

It's not going to get them customers is it?!
It's not just you. They are BU. And horrid. And very short sighted.

InanimateCarbonRod Mon 15-Dec-14 10:42:51

That's pretty shit alright. I am constantly judged on being overweight and it's always assumed I eat like shit. I don't - I am a genuine medical case (thyroid and meds related). I haven't had McDonalds in about 15 years, I only drink water and tea and eat three small meals a day.

ScreamingSpires Mon 15-Dec-14 10:43:22

name and shame?

Say something on the page and also pop in to the gym if you can with a screen shot. If they don't fall over themselves trying to rectify this then they obviously don't give a shit. I'm big and would be put off using any company that was so derogatory to anyone.

ChoochiWoo Mon 15-Dec-14 10:47:02

it will put people off them.

pictish Mon 15-Dec-14 10:47:31

Yanbu! Arrogant wankers!
Name and shame?

It doesn't matter whether someone eats 10 burgers or 2 celery sticks a day. Everyone has the right to not be belittled.

maz210 Mon 15-Dec-14 11:29:40

Surely as a gym they should be applauding the two overweight women on treadmills?

I would assume they only want customers who are already fit and then avoid them like the plague.

In fact share it on your facebook with appropriate comments so that everyone else can be aware of their attitude.

LadyMaryofDownton Mon 15-Dec-14 11:32:58

I've seen a lot of this lately especially from smaller Independant gyms. It's awful, it is this type of behaviour that puts people off from going.

Horrible people!

monkeytroubles Mon 15-Dec-14 12:04:30

Rather than posting anything publically on their FB page (which might just cause them to be defensive or they'll just take it down) I would send them an email/letter. I would be telling them that you were planning on giving them your business but that the tasteless, body-shaming posts on their FB page have changed your mind. It sends the message that anyone not already in peak physical condition would be unwelcome and possibly be subjected to ridicule if they were to attend this gym. By sending this message, they are alienating the very people who stand to benefit most from their services and not only losing potential customers but damaging their reputation with the local community. It's not only cruel and unfunny, it also makes no sense for their business.

MistressDeeCee Mon 15-Dec-14 14:34:43

It sounds like a front for woman-hating. Id message them too, but I bet they won't care about any messages they receive so its probably best to just delete from your list

Quangle Mon 15-Dec-14 14:36:53

How depressing. Name and shame them.

MarchEliza Mon 15-Dec-14 14:41:34

Wow - unless you already look like a Victoria's Secret angel why would anyone sign up to a gym that humiliates people who are not in peak physical condition.
I work in marketing and PR and never has this tactic ever worked...

Chandon Mon 15-Dec-14 14:44:36

unlike!

WhyYouGottaBeSoRude Mon 15-Dec-14 14:48:27

That is bad!! All the local gums here are constantly posting positive and inspirational messages with before and after photos of themselves. Lots of customers also volunteering photos and praise for how supportive the staff are (and local people i know so not faked) that is how a gym should be. Not judgemental!

Pengyquin Mon 15-Dec-14 14:51:06

Post a link, I want to see!

Neverbuyheliumbalonz Mon 15-Dec-14 15:24:51

Oh gwan, name and shame!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now