Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed when my clients are still in pjs when I turn up for work?

(337 Posts)
missjenniferhoney Sun 14-Dec-14 22:36:19

I'm a self employed domestic cleaner, have been for a number of years. I've recently taken on a few new clients (since Oct/Nov) and have been surprised to turn up to work at their homes to find them still in nightwear. It happened at 2 appointments last week, both at 9.30 in the morning. I turn up at the same time on the same day each week, so I'm not unexpected, and I always knock on the front door for them to let me in before using my own key as I think it is just polite. I honestly didn't know how to react, so just ignored it and got on with the cleaning after a quick 'Good morning, how are you?'

AIBU to wish they would get dressed before I arrive?

ghostyslovesheep Sun 14-Dec-14 22:37:56

why? they are in their homes - they aren't nude - not getting the issue

ThePinkOcelot Sun 14-Dec-14 22:38:18

Yes. What difference does it make? I could understand it if theyd been naked.

JeanSeberg Sun 14-Dec-14 22:38:35

How does it affect you - genuine question. Is it because they're then having showers while you're trying to clean the bathroom?

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Sun 14-Dec-14 22:39:00

This'll go well smile

CookieLady Sun 14-Dec-14 22:39:03

Yes, YABU. HTH.

GoodboyBindleFeatherstone Sun 14-Dec-14 22:39:26

You'd love me - I've been in my jams all day.

GristletoeAndWhine Sun 14-Dec-14 22:39:34

YABU

TimelyNameChangey Sun 14-Dec-14 22:39:48

I don't see how you can be offended by a pyjama. You work in people's homes! It's not like an office.

nearlyreadyforstatelyhomes Sun 14-Dec-14 22:40:34

What is it that bothers you?

missjenniferhoney Sun 14-Dec-14 22:40:40

It's just something I haven't experienced before in all the years I've been doing the job!

Dinnerfor1 Sun 14-Dec-14 22:41:10

YABU

IAmNotAPrincessIAmAKahleesi Sun 14-Dec-14 22:41:14

YABU

have you ever thought that for some people just getting dressed can be incredibly difficult?

TheBookofRuth Sun 14-Dec-14 22:41:36

Sorry, but you're coming to work in their homes, they're entitled to wear whatever they want so long as they are actually dressed! I'd be bloody cross if my cleaner thought she could dictate what I should wear in my home.

WiseKneeHair Sun 14-Dec-14 22:41:37

I am usually at work when our cleaner is here. However, I sometimes work nights and not only will I be in pyjamas but in bed when she arrives! Thankfully, she isn't as judgemental as you and just gets on with it. She even has the courtesy to be as quiet as it is possible to be whilst whelding a vacuum cleaner

AlpacaYourThings Sun 14-Dec-14 22:41:42

YABU

sunflower49 Sun 14-Dec-14 22:42:05

What is it about their being in their pjamas that concerns you?

Mintyy Sun 14-Dec-14 22:42:45

I'm with you op.

I bet if their mortgage broker or accountant or even just a friend was coming to the house they'd have their proper clothes on.

Yanbu. Its lazy and a wee bit disrespectful to you too.

Rollermum Sun 14-Dec-14 22:42:49

I try and get dressed before someone comes into my home or I take a delivery etc, but sometimes it doesn't work out or I've been back to bed to cope with night waking etc. So I see your point but I think you are being a bit unreasonable.

Cooki3Monst3r Sun 14-Dec-14 22:44:02

My postie doesn't seem to mind me answering the door to him in my PJs at gone lunch time 11am. He always gives me a nice smile.

cricketpitch Sun 14-Dec-14 22:44:32

FWIW I don't think that you are being unreasonable but I doubt it is something that you will be able to anything about.

I see it as a mark of respect, an acknowledgement that you are there to work and of a professional relationship between you - so I understand - but it seems I am in the minority.

There was a thread here earlier in the year about this. (Plumbers, tutors, cleaners, people who worked in others' homes), and the issue was discussed then.

magpieginglebells Sun 14-Dec-14 22:44:50

YABU. They can wear what they like in their own home.

gamerchick Sun 14-Dec-14 22:46:24

Maybe it's time to move onto commercial cleaning.

missjenniferhoney Sun 14-Dec-14 22:46:36

It doesn't offend me, I was just genuinely a bit surprised. Both of these clients have always managed to get dressed for our previous appointments.

golemmings Sun 14-Dec-14 22:47:51

Having had builders in for months I was slightly gutted when the kitchen fitters started work because they didn't feel like family and I felt I had to get dressed.

I'm always dressed when the cleaner arrives - but she comes at 4pm. If she came earlier I wouldn't care if she saw my in my jim jams and I wouldn't expect her to judge me for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now