Talk

Advanced search

To ask what chores your 11 year olds do?

(60 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Sun 14-Dec-14 20:00:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrancisdeSales Sun 14-Dec-14 20:04:18

Cooks light meals (omelettes, pasta)
Vacuums
Mops floor
Puts laundry away
Weeds garden
Cleans and tidys bedroom (badly)
Fills and empties dishwasher
Cleans kitchen

(and anything else reasonable just like sibs)

wheresthelight Sun 14-Dec-14 20:05:23

11 yo dss has to do the following (9 yo dsd has them too)

walk the dog
helo set and clear table
make his own breakfast
help mind his 1 yo sister while I shower or do dishes etc -never alone and never for more than 5 mins without my checking on them
keep his room tidy

potbellyroast Sun 14-Dec-14 20:06:18

They're older now but at 11 they changed the sheets on their beds, vacuumed and polished front room. Dishwasher. Sorting off socks 10p per pair

Fooshufflewickbannanapants Sun 14-Dec-14 20:11:42

All mine ( except toddler) do the following
Make own breakfast
Do packed lunch
Feed dog/snake/birds
Put a load of washing in
Empty drier
Fold clothes/ put away
Tidy lounge ( big tidy twice a week)
Load anf empty dishwasher
Keep bedrooms clean
Wipe bathroom down
Sweep floor and stairs

The older three also do poo patrol ( ie pick up and dispose of dog poo)

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 14-Dec-14 20:14:59

Putting own clean laundry away
Putting own dirty dishes in the dishwasher
Helping to cook once a week
Wiping surfaces & sweeping floor in either kitchen or dining room (alternately)
Feeding cat or putting out recycling (alternately)
Occasional dusting

lecherslady Sun 14-Dec-14 20:15:23

Not many, as she does not have a lot of free time (school + 20 hours of gym a week + dancing). So rather than household chores, I expect self sufficiency. For us that means:

Keep room tidy
Get own breakfast and put bowl on the side after
Make her bed each day
Pack her bag (for school and hobbies)
Get her own clothes put out the night before
Walks herself to school each day

potbellyroast Sun 14-Dec-14 20:16:09

Oh yes..... and brews on demand.

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 14-Dec-14 20:16:38

They also change their own sheets and are expected to occasionally put a load of laundry on or sort clean laundry.
Emptying dishwasher on weekends & in school holidays.

soulrebel63 Sun 14-Dec-14 20:28:08

Nothing, they are my children not my slaves. I want them to enjoy their childhood.

Musicaltheatremum Sun 14-Dec-14 20:48:24

Mine did nothing either. Well the odd thing in the holidays but at 11 they were out doing sports or homework. The did empty dishwasher. They are now 21 and 19 keep their own flats tidy and great help to me at home when they come. I led by example. They saw what I did and have now echoed it. They enjoyed their childhood as did I.

Musicaltheatremum Sun 14-Dec-14 20:49:44

My children were very self sufficient too as I left for work before they left for school. If they forgot things that was their problem

splodgeses Sun 14-Dec-14 20:51:10

My dd has to do her '5 minute room rescue' each morning. This is where she tidies clothes away, makes bed, puts books/dvds on shelves etc. She makes her own breakfast and lunch. In the evenings she does '10 minute house rescue' where she has to visit each room and remove her belongings to her own room, such as bags/toys/jackets.
She is a great help whenever I ask, things like helping prepare a meal. And as soulrebel63 says, yes she is my child, not my slave, but I do not want her growing up with no responsibility or sense in general upkeep and definitely not with the mindset that she will have me running around after her forever

Namechangeyetagaintohide Sun 14-Dec-14 20:52:47

I did nothing at 11 too.

Takver Sun 14-Dec-14 21:00:46

12 y/o here - cooks once a week and washes up once a week which are the only thing I'd really consider chores, though the cooking I'd say is equally about her learning to make a range of cheap and easy meals.

Things I wouldn't really consider 'chores' but just general self-care & participation in household life - tiding her own room & hoovering it (dh or I do it sometimes for thoroughness grin ), putting her own clean clothes away, changing her own bedding, helping set / clear the table, that sort of thing.

redskybynight Sun 14-Dec-14 21:01:27

Make own bed
Keep own room tidy (including hoovering)
Lay or wipe table (alternate with sister)
Pack own bag for school and unpack on getting home
Put clean clothes away after washing
Help with tidying lounge (particularly when he's made the mess)
Put dirty plates etc in dishwasher
Most of these (other than table laying) are just him looking after his own stuff. I don't think that makes him my slave ... would find it more odd if I was doing those things for him!

bigbluestars Sun 14-Dec-14 21:03:28

Hlep tidy their own room- that's all. I don't expect my kids to do chores. I did no chores as a child either.

MiniTheMinxLovesMinxPies Sun 14-Dec-14 21:05:06

Nothing.
The only chore they have is to think for themselves because I refuse to tell them to do anything.
Strangely it works, today both tidied their rooms, made breakfast, got lunch ready and completed their homework.
Whatever they do, they do because they see a need to do it, want to or realise that its the only way it will get done.

MiniTheMinxLovesMinxPies Sun 14-Dec-14 21:09:09

Musicaltheatremum I think much the same. Not giving them chores but encouraging self-sufficiency.

CremeEggThief Sun 14-Dec-14 21:30:39

Putting dishes away and putting bedding in washer. I couldn't trust DS to fold and put away his clothes properly or wash-up to my standard.

tippytappywriter Sun 14-Dec-14 21:39:20

Looking after her own stuff and cleaning up after herself. So she keeps her room tidy, tidies when she's made a mess, gets bag/homework ready to go. She helps with other family stuff but as and when she's asked and not as a regular chore...just because it needs doing.

manicinsomniac Sun 14-Dec-14 21:39:21

Nothing set, just helps out with what I ask whenever there's time.

She's capable of doing whatever (except ironing - but, tbh, I rarely do that either!) but there isn't usually time.

zukiecat Sun 14-Dec-14 23:42:38

Only kept their own rooms reasonably tidy and DD2 liked to help me hoover. I never asked them to do much as from age 8 I had to do everything in the house apart from cook.

I had to:

Hoover, dust and polish every room in the house, including hall and stairs.

Clean and scrub the bathroom.

Clean and scrub the kitchen, which also meant emptying every cupboard, wash all the tins and jars and clean the oven and take all the rings off the cooker and scrub them.

Clean all the cutlery with Duraglit.

Hang out, take in and iron all the week's washing.

And every other chore my mother could think up.

She would cook my favourite meal of steak pie for her, my dad and brother but I was never allowed any, after a day of all this work I was allowed one poached egg on toast or a hamburger with a bag of crisps.

That's why I didn't like my own DDs doing anything.

FrancisdeSales Mon 15-Dec-14 00:06:20

We don't have regular chores, everyone shares and lends a hand and my DH is great too so they join in and do what is asked, within reason. They see mum and dad both do the same work around the house. My first list was off the top of my head jobs around the house my 11 year can do if asked. They are not my slaves and neither am I theirs.

Basic rule for cleaning and tidying: Leave it the way you found it or better.

Cooking; they ask to cook and like it, so it is not a chore but they volunteer. In fact my 8 yr old son has been moaning that we haven't been teaching him how to cook.

FrancisdeSales Mon 15-Dec-14 00:07:57

zukie sorry to hear about your mum who was obviously abusive rather than asking you to muck in with the rest of the family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now