Talk

Advanced search

To get really ranty at so called recipes

(7 Posts)
mypoosmellsofroses Sun 14-Dec-14 16:25:04

I have a lot of American friends on fb, I love them dearly and it's great to have fb to keep in touch. A couple of them keep posting recipes though, the pictures and titles make me go, oooh, nice, I'll have a look at that...every time it's the same though, it's just instant/ready made stuff just put together.

I'm no domestic goddess by any means but "2 boxes lemon cake mix and 2 packs of cool whip" or "1 box vanilla pudding and 1 bag of cookie pieces" etc is a) not a proper recipe, and b) I don't know what half this stuff even is!
If you're going to post yummy things, I want to know how to make them with, you know, flour, eggs, butter etc, that kind of shit...

Last weeks offering was essentially instant mash with a bag of marshmallows on topconfused

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 14-Dec-14 16:28:32

Chowhound is good for American from scratch cooking.

anothernumberone Sun 14-Dec-14 16:29:29

Oh that sweet potato and marshmallow thing seems gak. Ya sooooooooo nbu. I was treated to a family members secret recipe for a famous dip which consisted of 6 jars of various dips salsa, sour cream, garlic etc layered together with melted cheese on top. I was a bit hmm at the fact it seemed to be considered cooking since it went under the grill.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 14-Dec-14 16:45:16

I made the marshmallow thing for Thanksgiving this year, it's gross, also oyster stuffing which was possibly worse.
I m not American, just like to cook and try new things.
I want to have a go at one of those weird vegetable jelly things.

Got99problems Sun 14-Dec-14 16:48:34

YANBU to look at any recipe that involves mash and marshmallows... the instantness of the mash sounds like the least of its problems!

Stealthpolarbear Sun 14-Dec-14 16:53:32

my thread from yesterday ranting about '2 ingredient pumpkin chocolate brownies'

Suefla62 Sun 14-Dec-14 17:37:09

Ooo let's have a thread for recipe snobs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now