Talk

Advanced search

To get really ranty at so called recipes

(7 Posts)
mypoosmellsofroses Sun 14-Dec-14 16:25:04

I have a lot of American friends on fb, I love them dearly and it's great to have fb to keep in touch. A couple of them keep posting recipes though, the pictures and titles make me go, oooh, nice, I'll have a look at that...every time it's the same though, it's just instant/ready made stuff just put together.

I'm no domestic goddess by any means but "2 boxes lemon cake mix and 2 packs of cool whip" or "1 box vanilla pudding and 1 bag of cookie pieces" etc is a) not a proper recipe, and b) I don't know what half this stuff even is!
If you're going to post yummy things, I want to know how to make them with, you know, flour, eggs, butter etc, that kind of shit...

Last weeks offering was essentially instant mash with a bag of marshmallows on topconfused

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 14-Dec-14 16:28:32

Chowhound is good for American from scratch cooking.

anothernumberone Sun 14-Dec-14 16:29:29

Oh that sweet potato and marshmallow thing seems gak. Ya sooooooooo nbu. I was treated to a family members secret recipe for a famous dip which consisted of 6 jars of various dips salsa, sour cream, garlic etc layered together with melted cheese on top. I was a bit hmm at the fact it seemed to be considered cooking since it went under the grill.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 14-Dec-14 16:45:16

I made the marshmallow thing for Thanksgiving this year, it's gross, also oyster stuffing which was possibly worse.
I m not American, just like to cook and try new things.
I want to have a go at one of those weird vegetable jelly things.

Got99problems Sun 14-Dec-14 16:48:34

YANBU to look at any recipe that involves mash and marshmallows... the instantness of the mash sounds like the least of its problems!

Stealthpolarbear Sun 14-Dec-14 16:53:32

my thread from yesterday ranting about '2 ingredient pumpkin chocolate brownies'

Suefla62 Sun 14-Dec-14 17:37:09

Ooo let's have a thread for recipe snobs!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: