Advanced search

To refuse to pay £5 for a slice of cake

(25 Posts)
Loletta Sun 14-Dec-14 08:16:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kim147 Sun 14-Dec-14 08:19:42

PenelopePitstops Sun 14-Dec-14 08:28:44

Kim you object to £2, you couldn't make profit from homemade cake if you charged much less.

£5 however is taking the piss.

GahLinDah Sun 14-Dec-14 08:32:42

Are the take away pizzas and cakes home made take away pizzas and cakes OP?

fgrin fwink

CaptainAnkles Sun 14-Dec-14 08:34:22

£5 for a slice of cake? They're having a laugh. I'd expect the whole cake for that.

Dafspunk Sun 14-Dec-14 08:34:56

I am a shopkeeper's dream. My first thought would be 'ooh, for that price it must be amazing' and I'd be scarfing it on the way home.

Kundry Sun 14-Dec-14 08:37:55

You are entitled not to pay £5 for a piece of cake. Equally the family running the business are entitled to make a living.

If they can find people who are willing to pay £5 good luck to them.

If they charged £2 or less they'd be out of business in a fortnight. Kim it doesn't matter how much you sell, if you are selling at a loss, you won't make a profit.

AwkwardSquad Sun 14-Dec-14 08:38:22

I'd be tempted by it, I have to admit, if I knew the cakes were really good, but £5 is a lot. I love pistachios but they are really expensive - the shelled, unsalted ones - so that could be why this particular cake costs so much.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 14-Dec-14 08:41:06

Yep agree with above - pistacchios are pricey!

Pensionerpeep Sun 14-Dec-14 09:25:57

msrisotto Sun 14-Dec-14 09:29:24

I dunno, Nutella is an expensive ingredient. You could buy other cakes for cheaper, so why complain?

Enjorasdream Sun 14-Dec-14 09:38:53

I find it unbelievable that people pay the prices they charge for pizza. It is a piece of bread, with tomato/passata sauce thinly spread on top, and literally a small handful of grated cheese and a few other ingredients. Cost of ingredients at most £1 - they charge £10. A little more effort and skill goes into making a cake as well.

bakingaddict Sun 14-Dec-14 09:48:52

Depending on if it's a 8'' or 10'' cake then you are looking at between 8-10 slices out of the cake equating to £40 or £50 for a whole cake. I'd imagine they used pistachio paste to get the flavour which they'd buy in Italy as it's more readily available and use proper pistachios in small quantities to decorate. I've got a big jar of pistachio paste that cost me £9 mail order.

When you consider Patisserie Valerie do 4 cakes to takeaway for a tenner and their cakes are lush, £5 sounds a lot for one slice from a pizza takeaway

Loletta Sun 14-Dec-14 10:14:28

ThePinkOcelot Sun 14-Dec-14 10:28:20

No, I wouldn't pay that seems very pricey.

I note a pp said upthread about can't sell for a loss. I get that, but surely if ppl think its too pricey they won't buy. I would rather sell at cheaper than have to chuck out stale cake. Surely that's a loss.

LL12 Sun 14-Dec-14 10:29:00

But which is better, Have it for sale for £5 a slice and nobody buy it, you make no money at all and it has to be binned or sell it for a lower price per slice that people are prepared to pay and actually make some money instead of non at all?

jimmycrackcornbutidontcare Sun 14-Dec-14 10:29:07

It's far too expensive. Some pp have talked about how they need to cover costs. Well, there would probably be about 12 slices per cak . That is £60 for a cake that people take away with them to eat. Even if it cost £10/£15 to make that is a lot of profit. Also, takeaway businesses have to consider if people could conveniently get the same quality food elsewhere for a better price. They are not offering a place to eat with atmosphere etc, just convenience.
Takeaway pizza tastes different to supermarket pizza and you have to put effort into homemade pizza - have all the ingredients, chop and prepare ingredients, heat the pizza and wash the dishes. A lot of people would rather pay and premium and get some good quality pizza made for them. You can walk into a bakery or supermarket and buy a whole cake for a few pounds. Even delicious homemade bakery ones don't cost a fraction of £60. Some people may be prepared to pay for it but IMO it is overpriced.

LL12 Sun 14-Dec-14 10:30:23

Sorry, ThePink, I must have been typing the same time as you

londonrach Sun 14-Dec-14 10:34:28

£3.50 near me gets you this. Very moist and very very tasty but lasted two days..

Panzee Sun 14-Dec-14 10:36:22

How big was the slice?

midori1999 Sun 14-Dec-14 10:36:29

It does sounds a lot and of course YANBU to not pay it, that's your choice. Presumably if it was more expensive than the other cakes then it was due to more expensive ingredients though. It is quite surprising how much cakes can cost to make.

I disagree about Patisserie Valerie cakes being nice though, I wouldn't rush to go there again at all, I found them average at best. I also prefer my own macarons to theirs...

Loletta Sun 14-Dec-14 10:37:43

WeThreeKeemasofOrientNaan Sun 14-Dec-14 10:42:00

They won't have picked £5 out of the air. Pistachios are expensive ingredients, then you have the cost of other ingredients and making it.

If it doesn't sell, they won't make it any more as it won't be worth their while. That's business.

You don't have to buy it.

I'm agog at the price of a crappy sandwich in my local cafés £4.95 seems to be the norm and I remember when that used to be service station prices.

londonrach Sun 14-Dec-14 10:44:22

Patisserie valerie along with waitrose (come on waitrose hq putting some liquid in your cakes to make them less dry might help) are the worse cakes ive ever eaten. Mil (my fellow researcher as she usually pays despite me trying to but we treat her other ways) refuses to go into patisserie valerie now. The turkish place near the large waterstones in london used to be amazing.

BathshebaDarkstone Sun 14-Dec-14 11:01:34

£5 for a slice of cake? Buy a whole one from the supermarket! fshock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now