Talk

Advanced search

to think that I may have a Wasp's nest in my house ...

(10 Posts)
LeepyTime Sat 13-Dec-14 21:04:11

as over the last few weeks I am finding increasing numbers of dead/half-dead wasps in and around my toilet/bathroom area and it is starting to give me the creeps. Not a swarm or anything but maybe 5 or so a day, not normal for my house. Also to ask any 'Wasp people' for advice, like do I need to do anything, and also if there is a nest inside (God forbid) or even outside, is it true that they don't build their nest in the same place twice so I should be ok next year? On the up-side, the kitchen party slugs seemed to have stopped coming in for a party every night in the middle of the night, maybe it is too cold for them now. :-) Gosh my house sounds like a delight!!

KingCrimson Sat 13-Dec-14 21:32:07

Do you have a ventilator in the bathroom? Maybe they've built a nest in that, or they're coming in through it?

RhubarbAndMustard Sat 13-Dec-14 21:34:57

We had one in our roof over the summer. I also read that they don't build in the same place twice, and that once they've gone you should just be able to push out the nest with a broom handle.

To be honest they didn't really bother us so I'm not planning to do anything about it.

OneHandFlapping Sat 13-Dec-14 21:36:15

Wasps only live in a nest for a single year, and the nest dies with the first frosts.

You have no need to worry - the dead wasps are only a sign of the natural death of the nest you didn't know you had.

BobbyDazzler1 Sat 13-Dec-14 21:40:07

We had a wasps nest outside and they came in to the bathroom through the pipes. I am v surprised you're still seeing them in Dec. They usually die off in September. I recommend powder spray (not foam). Spray direct in to nest in evening when they're sleepy.

Haroldplaystheharmonica Sat 13-Dec-14 22:03:56

We had one in our loft wall over the summer. By the time OH pulled the plaster off the wall, there was a nest of 1.5 x 0.5m inside the cavity! The bloody wasps had eaten their way through the insulation and OH found 1000+ dead in the wall. Not pleasant!

We knew it had been a biggish nest as we'd heard them for a good few months and the wall was getting warmer and warmer. OH had been spraying powder into the entrance hole but obviously it didn't work! When we came back from holiday, the bedroom wall was so soft that we knew they were eating their way through the wall...

ChristmasJumperWearer Sat 13-Dec-14 22:13:02

Well....our loft is full of old nests. They may not return to the old nest, but they seem to return to a nearby site and build next to it!

With that many dead wasps, you must be alert to a new nest come spring time and act quickly if you spot even one wasp. Either destroy the nest yourself or call a professional.

You might get lucky - one time we had this with wasps in the bathroom and it turned out they were coming from a nest in our neighbour's loft, not ours.

LeepyTime Sat 13-Dec-14 22:15:47

Thanks all for the replies. I feel very comforted by OneHandFlapping's response, and completely disturbed by Harold's! That sounds terrible! I think I will go for the natural cycle of life approach and let nature take its course, and hopefully it should just sort itself out and die off over the Winter. Thanks all!

LeepyTime Sat 13-Dec-14 22:19:43

Oh great! Have just read Christmas, ok will keep my eye out in Springtime but will maybe have a look outside tomorrow to see if I can spot anything in the meantime, thanks! Are they drawn to the same site by some kind of pheromones emanating from the old nest, so if I find it and get rid of it it should prevent that happening? Or do they come back to same area anyway as it is nice and cosy and suits their needs, whether or not the old nest is there?

babewiththepower Sat 13-Dec-14 22:29:31

We had them in the loft last summer and were told by the exterminator that they wont come back to the same nest. It doesn't need to be kept there as DH took the nest to his school for the students to study. I think they just opportunistically look for a new spot?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now