Talk

Advanced search

To stay at home on Christmas Eve?

(11 Posts)
Mumoftwomonkeys1976 Sat 13-Dec-14 20:22:23

My fiancé and I separated early October, I now live alone with my 2 ds's. Don't get me wrong I'm happier than I've been in a long time, but I do still feel lonely at times, especially with the long dark nights.

My parents are trying to convince me that it would be a good idea for me and ds's to stay over at their house on Christmas Eve but I'm not sure.

In a way I think it would be lovely, having company on Christmas Eve after the kids are in bed, then all of us together in the morning for present opening. But I dunno, I just have a niggling feeling that it just might not be the same not waking up in our own house in the big day.

So I was just wondering, would you consider not staying at home with dc on Christmas Eve?

arlagirl Sat 13-Dec-14 20:23:18

Sounds lovely being in own home

Nocturne123 Sat 13-Dec-14 20:28:44

I think maybe I would stay with my parents if it was me .

Depending on the relationship you have with your parents it might be nice ( like you said) to have some company when Dcs are in bed .

Do you think Dcs would like to stay there?

makemineapinot Sat 13-Dec-14 20:33:37

I'm a lone parent to 2 dc too and a few years ago we had Xmas by ourselves. I thought it would be lovely and relaxed but it was awful. I had to do all the work and every single tv film/programme was about 'daddy coming home for Xmas' - usually overcoming adversity and hardships to make it home to his kids. This just made it even harder for my dc who don't see their father (his choice, not ours) and it rubbed salt in the wound of there nit being the 'big happy family' ending for them. I'd go to your parents!! I'm also much happier without my ex but it was just a bit too much spending Christmas just the 3 of us. Obviously everyone's different and you all may love it x

BreakOutTheKaraoke Sat 13-Dec-14 20:35:56

During the day, maybe, but not the night. Christmas Eve night in our house is for bath, special PJS, christmassy films and their own bedroom.

HamPortCourt Sat 13-Dec-14 20:36:00

I am a single parent and have been for a few years now. It has never occurred to me to be anywhere other than home on Christmas Day.

I hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide.

Cantbelievethisishappening Sat 13-Dec-14 20:42:20

I spent many years as a single parent and I did sometimes feel quite lonely on Xmas eve once my little ones had gone to bed. That said, it is nice to be able to do what ever you want and I would often curl up with a tray of Ferrero Rocher, a bottle of red and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation smile
Perhaps go to your parents and if you don't really enjoy it you will know for future Christmases.

FriedFishAndBread Sat 13-Dec-14 20:51:43

I've been a single parent for most of my dc lives (7 & 9) and the first few Christmas's we had we were at my dm and I hated it tbh. Didn't feel very special and my dm who is very stressy anyway got even more stressier over picky things.
We've also done xmas morning at home and going over my dms later for lunch and again didn't feel quite right and I did feel the family took over the kids and I was left out.
Last year we stayed at home, family came over for mince pies and presents and while that was ok it didn't feel very christmassy and I felt really lonely Christmas day night once the dc were in bed.

This year we are trying most of Christmas day at home and having a party food dinner then going over my dms about 4ish and staying the night. I'm now not as bothered as I used to be about getting left out and will sit happily drinking champagne and texting my friends like a teenager whilst ignoring my dms scowls directed at me and my phone.

needaholidaynow Sat 13-Dec-14 20:52:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FriedFishAndBread Sat 13-Dec-14 20:53:02

Having not trying. My phone is awful for auto correct

Mumoftwomonkeys1976 Sat 13-Dec-14 21:01:40

Thanks for all your replies. I think what I might do is ask the dc what they would like to do.

After all, it is all about them. I just want to make Christmas really special for them, so they don't feel too bad about Dad not being here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now