Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked at this treatment of a DS and DD (news story)

(84 Posts)
daisychain01 Sat 13-Dec-14 13:30:22

I don't believe in making judgements over people's parenting decisions but I am wide mouthed shock at what would possess someone to

A) pretend to be Santa for anything other than nice reasons
b) use Santa as a punishment weapon against a naughty child
C) make them so upset that they cry and then ...
D) film them and post onto social media. So everyone one in the world can see images of their distressed child.

Actually made me nearly burst into tears (OK so I do cry at everything from John Lewis ads to poetry).

here is the story, and OK it is reported in the Daily Mail, but even if there is a only shred of truth in it, then isn't that the cruelest thing to do to a child at this time of year. And I reckon it could be storing up massive trust issues for the future, when they know they were lied to.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2870356/Little-boy-girl-left-devastated-reading-letter-Santa-telling-naughty-list.html

yetanotherchangename Sat 13-Dec-14 13:35:18

I don't agree with posting it on social media but Father Christmas only comes for well behaved children. At least they've got 14 days to sort it out.

Nomama Sat 13-Dec-14 13:37:35

Oh I don't know. Seems like a parenting job well done to me. The letter didn't cancel Christmas, just reminded the kids to stay on the Nice list...

Trust issues... lies about Christmas? You do realise the silliness of that statement don't you? That and the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny etc etc....

Nerf Sat 13-Dec-14 13:43:13

Yuk. Why are the kids half naked anyway. What a weird thing to do.

daisychain01 Sat 13-Dec-14 13:43:28

Hmm not sure I agree about that, Nomama, I tend to take the view that while the child believes in Father Christmas through their early years, as a benign figure, it's a lot different to turning them into some wooooo character "whose going to keep on watching you and punish you for bad behaviour". That bit is not nice IMO

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sat 13-Dec-14 13:44:34

What utter cunts would sell this story to the newspapers.

It must be someone on the friends list.

daisychain01 Sat 13-Dec-14 13:45:50

Sorry turning FC into the wooooo character. What's wrong with good quality discipline? Nerf, my thoughts too, it did seem v weird.

Velvetbee Sat 13-Dec-14 13:47:06

Father Christmas doesn't only come to good children in our house - don't believe in blackmail.

daisychain01 Sat 13-Dec-14 13:47:47

I don't think our Tooth Fairy has ever existed more than one sleep at a time, definitely no threat to withdraw a quid for not going to bed smile

catgirl1976 Sat 13-Dec-14 13:48:07

Meh.

I think it's fine. She's given them time to sort it out. They've obviously not been behaving and she's pulled them up on it in an effective way. Don't see the issue.

fatowl Sat 13-Dec-14 13:50:07

When my kids we little, I used to text santa regularly (and get texts back) in Dec. (this was DH whose contact changed to "Santa")

Behaviour was excellent once they realised how quick I could get Santa's response to "dd1 just thumped dd2"

Happy days.

This was in the early 2000s though. Kids are a bit more techy now and would probably figure it out

Pyjamaramadrama Sat 13-Dec-14 13:50:08

Ok I'm sure we've all threatened our kids with Santa not coming at one point or another. "Be good or Santa might not come".

But this takes it too far, I very much doubt that they'll be scarred for life but I do think it's very mean what she did, and worse to put it into the public eye.

Christmas is supposed to be a happy time and I don't like the idea of worrying your kids to the point of tears over Santa.

DixieNormas Sat 13-Dec-14 13:50:48

What's she going to threaten them with for the rest of the year. She would learn to parent more effectively

Mintyy Sat 13-Dec-14 13:51:27

I felt a physical reaction of revulsion towards that parent when I saw that story yesterday. Utterly disgusting, cuntish, damaging, hateful, stupid, incompetent parenting at its worst.

What she has actually done is shamed her children! Why the fuck would you??

madsadbad Sat 13-Dec-14 13:51:46

I think its bullshit.
She's a parent so parent- the things she says in response are good- we can work on things together to improve behaviour etc. She could have that conversation with out using manipulation and threats (which are probably empty).
Father Christmas does not come to lots of children and that's frig all to do with their behaviour.
I really dislike using those type of things to control through, its similar to that police man will take you away/tell you off, wait till I tell Daddy how naughty you have been...
Badly thought out idea to me and then to film it and let others see- I find sickening.
If that was done in another setting between adults (control though threats and emotional manipulation), no one would think it was acceptable, so I often wonder why adults think its ok to do something similar to children sad

WeThreeKeemasofOrientNaan Sat 13-Dec-14 13:52:09

The DM writes stories like this for two reasons. 1. Click bait for people who like to be outraged. 2. Kick women for any reason. Whatsoever.

Guess it worked.

Ho oh ho.

Hissy Sat 13-Dec-14 13:53:29

if I knew this vile excuse for a mother, i'd never speak to her again.

filming it? splashing her children all over the papers, worse, the MAIL?

shame on her. I am judging her. very harshly.

<hoik>

Hissy Sat 13-Dec-14 13:55:12

actually, I revise that post.

vile excuse for parents and never speak to them again.

both of them alllowed this hurt and humiliation which comes as a result of their failings, not the children's.

shame on them.

stollenqueen Sat 13-Dec-14 13:55:28

The main thing wrong about this is posting it on Social Media, and then (surprise suprise) finding it in the Daily Mail.

VitalStollenFix Sat 13-Dec-14 13:58:43

Even if she felt that using that threat try to make them behave for a fortnight was a good idea hmm, what possible benefit to the children was there in filming it and sharing it?

That wasn't crap daily mail reporting or twisting, that was her choice. She chose to get it on camera and share it. Why would someone do that?

Bakeoffcakes Sat 13-Dec-14 14:04:00

Before everyone gets frothy she probably didn't go to the press. One of her "friends" may have done it, they would have contacted her and told her they would run the story anyway, so she then spoke and justified herself.

I think she sounded at the end of her tether, with all that thumping and arguing going on. I personally wouldn't have don't it, but maybe she thought it would work and it did!

sanfairyanne Sat 13-Dec-14 14:05:03

this was the number one dm story yesterday. what twat puts that kind of film all over the internet/media?

yetanotherchangename Sat 13-Dec-14 14:05:30

Velvetbee - you say "blackmail", I say "consequence and reward".

Mintyy Sat 13-Dec-14 14:05:43

WHY FILM IT THOUGH?

Sorry to shout. Why film it and share it with anybody at all?

PiperIsTerrysChoclateOrange Sat 13-Dec-14 14:06:22

I believe in following through any threats.

Ds is currently on a pad ban for not listening to me, he will not go on it till tomorrow.

If the DC don't improve, will Xmas be cancelled

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now