Talk

Advanced search

Robin Williams' English accent sounds very american.

(23 Posts)
CheeseBuster Sat 13-Dec-14 00:07:18

Bbc2 dead poets society. To me he sounds slightly less american but definitely not English iyswim confused like the opposite of Hugh Laurie in House, less English but not american.

But this is odd as robin Williams was really good at accents and the film is very popular.

YouTheCat Sat 13-Dec-14 00:12:19

Is he supposed to be English? Or just East Coast American?

YouTheCat Sat 13-Dec-14 00:12:59

I keep seeing buses with Night at the Museum 3 on the side and it makes me sad that it'll be his last film.

BaffledSomeMore Sat 13-Dec-14 00:15:16

Boston,Massachusetts accent

CheeseBuster Sat 13-Dec-14 00:18:42

In the info bit it says he's an unconvential English teacher.

CheeseBuster Sat 13-Dec-14 00:19:26

Oh. He teaches English not is English.

I'm dumb blush

abigamarone Sat 13-Dec-14 00:19:57

as in 'a teacher of English'.

MollyHoHoHoHooper Sat 13-Dec-14 00:20:16

I thought he just taught English.

He is the English teacher not an actually English guy.

EatShitDerek Sat 13-Dec-14 00:20:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YouTheCat Sat 13-Dec-14 00:20:23

Because there's no such thing as American as a language.

MollyHoHoHoHooper Sat 13-Dec-14 00:21:37

X post. grin

Easy mistake to make when reading the info.

Great movie, do you like it so far?

EthelredOnAGoodDay Sat 13-Dec-14 00:25:49

Love this film. Reminds me of being a teenager (now old and decrepit...��)

CheeseBuster Sat 13-Dec-14 00:30:13

At least I said it to you guys and not to someone in real life. DP still won't let me forget thinking there were only two hobbits in The Lord of the rings film.

Yes I like it very much ta but am half epilating my legs at same time so bit distracted.

Discopanda Sat 13-Dec-14 01:40:37

I think as he's an English teacher he's supposed to have a mid-Atlantic accent, so slightly Anglicised, a bit like Frasier and Niles.

MrsMarcJacobs Sat 13-Dec-14 01:57:53

I love him in that movie.

Bulbasaur Sat 13-Dec-14 02:10:19

Honestly I never noticed that he didn't sound anything other than American. But I also grew up in New England. grin

It's just a typical New England accent.

Bogeyface Sat 13-Dec-14 02:35:52

grin

I will share this to make you feel better. 2 things that H will never let me forget. In my defence I was around 10 when they happened.

When I was young "Together in Electric Dreams" was a big hit, now Phil Oakey I knew about but I had never heard of the other guy, I had never seen his name written down. Needless to say I was surprised to find he was the Italian Georgio Moroder and not, as I had thought, a nice Irish boy called Georgie O'Moroder. I think H actually wee'd a bit when I told him that. I compounded this by telling him about Roland. Roland being the guy I thought played keyboards for any band on TOTP that didnt have their own keyboard player. It must have been the same bloke as he had his name on his keyboard..........blush

NatJon Sat 13-Dec-14 09:51:14

If we are adding to embarrassing things we thought... I thought there was an awful lot of judges whose first name was Justice blush I actually thought it was their first name, and that their parents must have known they were going to grow up to be judges, as they named them so accordingly blush

CheeseBuster Sat 13-Dec-14 11:11:33

Glad it's not just me bogey and nat grin

GilbertBlytheWouldGiftIt Sat 13-Dec-14 11:16:07

Funny thread!

Although I was always a bit hmm at his "English" accent in Mrs Doubtfire, which was clearly Scottish.

PerfectlyPosed Sat 13-Dec-14 11:57:02

This has really made me laugh out loud!

Once, we were playing the name game where you say a celebrity name and the next person has to think of a celebrity whose first name starts with the first letter of their surname. I said "Kiefer Sutherland" and my mum was next and started naming people beginning with the letter "O". She thought his name was "Keith O'Sutherland"!

insancerre Sat 13-Dec-14 12:05:42

I though professor Hawkins was American as his voice machine has an American accent

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 13-Dec-14 22:20:50

Supposedly Robin Williams based his accent for Mrs. Doubtfire on Scottish director Bill Forsyth (Local Hero, Gregory's Girl, Being Human). As I recall, there is a bit where the Pierce Brosnan character questions his accent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now