Talk

Advanced search

To find ILs sticking "the" in front of DS's name a bit annoying?

(85 Posts)
MaryBerrysBum Fri 12-Dec-14 17:27:18

Ever since DS was born my younger BIL decided to use "the" in front of his name when speaking about him. So rather than saying "How's Jack* doing?" He'd ask "How's the Jack doing?"

MIL has picked this up and we've just received our Christmas card addressed to me, DH and the Jack.

This is really starting to irritate me for some reason. AIBU?

*His name isn't Jack but it's similar, trying not to completely out myself in case MIL is a secret mumsnetter.

drbonnieblossman Fri 12-Dec-14 17:35:51

Send them one from "the Jack" and put a line through "the".

MaryBerrysBum Fri 12-Dec-14 17:40:01

Perfect DrBonnie grin

SouthBySouthWest Fri 12-Dec-14 17:40:07

My MIL called both my DSs 'the baby' for at least the first year of their respective lives. Fucked me right off! I share your pain. Although, at least, thinking about it, at least your DS has a name grin

WerewolfBarMitzvah Fri 12-Dec-14 17:41:33

That's weird. It would piss me off so YANBU. But I'm a bit highly strung.

I would tell my DH to have a word. A friendly word, mind you.

KatelynB Fri 12-Dec-14 17:41:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MonstrousRatbag Fri 12-Dec-14 17:42:51

Improvement on my FIL, who doesn't bother to get in touch a lot any more, but when he does refers to DD as 'the little girl'.

BramwellLovesSnowflakeBiscuits Fri 12-Dec-14 17:44:51

YANBU. That would annoy the hell out of me too

MaryBerrysBum Fri 12-Dec-14 17:48:22

shock South and Monstrous that would REALLY irritate me.

Mehitabel6 Fri 12-Dec-14 17:48:27

I would just start putting 'the' in front of all their names and sign it 'the Maryberry' etc

Nocturne123 Fri 12-Dec-14 17:48:59

It is fairly harmless but would irritate me too .

My mum calls my dd or ds 'the child' sometimes when she's speaking to other people and I get irrationally annoyed .

MinnieM1 Fri 12-Dec-14 17:49:31

I've just received cards from my Nan who has spelt my 3 year olds name wrong - twice! In two different ways!
I'm actually really annoyed and when writing her card will be putting DD's name in massive writing in black marker and underlined
I second the idea of replying with from "the Jack"

chubbymummy Fri 12-Dec-14 17:49:45

Send one back:- To THE Mil and THE Fil from Mary, Mr Mary and JACK

Discopanda Fri 12-Dec-14 17:50:39

That's weird, maybe they see it as their pet name for him?

MaryBerrysBum Fri 12-Dec-14 17:50:57

Thanks all, glad I'm not being ridiculous. Fat chance of DH having a word unfortunately werewolf

MyballsareSandy Fri 12-Dec-14 17:55:42

Don't think it would irritate me that much.

My mum called my nephew Daniel for the first year of his life as she preferred it to his actual name, which is Sam ...... that seriously pissed me off.

AramintaDeWinter Fri 12-Dec-14 17:56:16

Itsfab Fri 12-Dec-14 17:57:34

Sounds affected. Your BIL probably thinks he is being funny. Doesn't need to be your wet DH having a word. You could tell them.

OwlinaTree Fri 12-Dec-14 18:00:22

Sounds like Gavin and Stacey 'Neil - the baby' every time!

I sometimes call my son 'the boy' but that's my choice.

YANBU to dislike this

Footle Fri 12-Dec-14 18:01:40

ApocalypseThen Fri 12-Dec-14 18:04:15

They probably don't realise how sensitive you are to this and think it's an affectionate nickname, the stupid, evil bastards.

Francescal88 Fri 12-Dec-14 18:07:16

Minnie both my grandparents on either side still can't spell my name correctly after almost 27 years!!

MaidOfStars Fri 12-Dec-14 18:07:59

I think it's quite cute. blush

9Bluedolphins Fri 12-Dec-14 18:08:14

We actually do this in our family. I've no idea where it comes from, but we like it!

SneakretSanta Fri 12-Dec-14 18:10:10

That would annoy me. But my (otherwise lovely) FIL calls DS 'the little whatsisname' which drives me insane. Especially as he's named after him! I would think he's doing it on purpose but after three years he still gets my name wrong (think saying Marie instead of Mary) and when pushed admitted he couldn't remember DH's middle name. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now