Talk

Advanced search

Goats

(22 Posts)
HappyAgainOneDay Fri 12-Dec-14 17:18:03

I was on the bus into town today and passed a Beefeater chain restaurant. 'Kids eat for free on Saturdays' (or something like that) shouted from a billboard.

What would they do if I took a young goat into the premises? The last pet we had was a rabbit and everything before him was smaller. Yes, I'm the sort that corrects notices in supermarkets where the spelling is dire eg dietry, freshners, using a marker pen grin.

Does anyone else object to the ruination of the English language?

hiddenhome Fri 12-Dec-14 17:20:12

They mean children. People often call children, kids.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 12-Dec-14 17:24:26

It's obvious what it meant however I'd love to be in a restaurant when you bring a goat in. I love them.grin

RinseyMinceySpider Fri 12-Dec-14 17:26:11

As long as it's stackable so it doesn't take up too much room with all the others.

GerundTheBehemoth Fri 12-Dec-14 17:31:55

There's a physiotherapy clinic near me with a sign outside saying 'Free spine checks'. I always want to walk in with a hedgehog.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 12-Dec-14 17:35:01

grin

Hatespiders Fri 12-Dec-14 18:15:27

I hate that word kids. Never use it (except for goats of course)

Our market in the centre of Norwich had a sign up saying 'GENUINE PVC JACKETS. Far better than faux plastic stuff.

I'd like to carry Tippex about with me to blot out the ubiquitous unnecessary apostrophes. You can never get a word ending in 's' on a sign without one appearing.

ThereIsAPartridgeInTheKitchen Fri 12-Dec-14 18:18:42

My dad hates the word kids. He's another one who likes to bring up goats when it's mentioned.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 12-Dec-14 18:25:49

Why do people object so much to 'kids' with reference to children? Have I lived in North America too long? Possibly the fact that I love goats is tainting me slightly...

Hatespiders Fri 12-Dec-14 18:29:30

I also hate 'guys'. Those are things that hold tents up, or stuffed effigies on Nov 5th. Ditto "Hi!" I pointedly reply with "Hello!"

amicissimma Fri 12-Dec-14 18:43:41

There used to be sign on one of local roads which proudly proclaimed:
"Cats' eyes removed"

(I'm not even sure if they put in the apostrophe, but I can't help myself)

HappyAgainOneDay Fri 12-Dec-14 18:47:11

Gerund I laughed out loud at your post! grin I like your name, too. It's my betting that not many people know what one of those is. smile

Genuine pvc jackets warrants another grin. <wonders what false pvc is like>

Hatespiders No one gets away with anyone saying, "Hello, Guys" when I'm with a couple of women....

Mrs TP Because we have children. We did not give birth to animals. With respect (perhaps) it's another americanism to invade. sad

Rinsey I suppose they could be stacked like those chairs in church halls. You know where the legs of one fit over the chair below. Looked at from the head end ......

ThereIsAPartridgeInTheKitchen Fri 12-Dec-14 18:56:27

I hate the words "lad" and "lass". I have no idea why, they just make me cringe. It's even worse when they're used in reference to adults.

I am not a "lass". I am a woman.

cardibach Fri 12-Dec-14 19:01:28

I am a bit of a grammar pedant, but don't have a problem with 'kids' or 'guys'. Language evolves. (This doesn't apply to my own pet hates, obviously smile )

Hatespiders Fri 12-Dec-14 19:07:43

cardibach you're right of course. We no longer go around saying "Prithee" or 'Gadzooks!". But "Hi, you guys" ?? Really!!

OfficerKaren Fri 12-Dec-14 19:12:26

Is the use of kids to refer to children not quite old?

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 12-Dec-14 19:14:16

Humans are animals so we did, in fact, give birth to animals. Kingdom animalia; that's us. Not baby goats, I will grant you.

Mind you, I like 'ankle biters' so maybe I need to absent myself, grin

Hatespiders Fri 12-Dec-14 19:14:49

By the way, while I'm on my soapbox, does anyone else cringe visibly when greeted with that ghastly nasal "Hiyaaaah!" at the doctor's reception or the supermarket checkout?

apotatoprintinapeartree Fri 12-Dec-14 19:17:10

My dh emailed HO of supermarkets because of the signs that say 10 Items or less, this really gets his goat fgrin

Mousefinkle Fri 12-Dec-14 19:24:30

I don't mind kids too much. It's an informal version of children IMO, children does sound so very formal. "DH, will you call the children to come down for dinner please." Just somehow doesn't seem right, kids fits a lot better.

I don't like Hiya or rather 'iyaaaa', gives me the rage. Also despise lad and lass although weirdly like it when Scots say "wee laddy/lassy" grin.

Goldenlab Fri 12-Dec-14 19:30:47

Can't bear 'britain's got talent'. I want it to be called 'Britain has talent'. Or even 'talented Britain'.

HappyAgainOneDay Fri 12-Dec-14 21:40:21

Yes Goldenlab

I try never to use get or got. There is always another word to take its place.

get something - I fetch it
get tired - I become tired
get chicken pox - I catch chickenpox

'Get' and 'got' were frowned upon at my school so we had to get used become accustomed to writing essays without those words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now