Talk

Advanced search

Quick help please! Folding a terry square nappy for 9 month old DS right now!

(14 Posts)
terrysquaremaiden Fri 12-Dec-14 17:04:56

DS has two nasty rash-y burn-y marks on the inside of his legs where the elastic fits. Never happened before. I think he was just excessively active earlier today and the nappy elastic perhaps a bit too tight! confused
He normally wears Totsbots etc etc etc, but I think the elastic around the inside of this leg is going to bother him a lot on those spots tonight and want to try a terry cloth nappy with a cover and an extra insert!
But I've never done one!!!!!
He's in the bath now and I'm scrambling to find the right fold or fit for him that will solve things asap until I can learn to do them properly! Help!
A boy (obviously), 9months, about 9kg, quite long in the body but with a roundish tummy! Best fold I can try now to make things easy tonight?!
Please be my hero someone!?!?!?

cherry219 Fri 12-Dec-14 17:09:43

Try the Jo fold, look on YouTube for vids. I found it easiest!

Mintyy Fri 12-Dec-14 17:11:21

There's someone with him in the bathroom right?

terrysquaremaiden Fri 12-Dec-14 17:13:09

Lol. Yes Mintyy. DH.
Is the Jo fold good for older baby? I saw it on the web as a 'newborn' fold!!??

Fooshufflewickbannanapants Fri 12-Dec-14 17:13:13

Fold it in half
Take one of the open corners and take to opposite open corner
So it looks like a triangle on top with a square under
Flip it over completely
One side will look like a rectangle
Fold the rectangle bit in two or three to centre

Bum goes on folded centre then pull triangle bits round to fit

Fooshufflewickbannanapants Fri 12-Dec-14 17:15:22

2.bp.blogspot.com/-x7YVNpSr7qI/UWQdVrKUe9I/AAAAAAAAFJU/vcuIRgDWZ6I/s1600/origami+fold.jpg

terrysquaremaiden Fri 12-Dec-14 17:24:30

Thank you!!!! I will try them both. Try being the operative word! [sceptical] DS has just given up on the bath so it is now or never!!!

terrysquaremaiden Fri 12-Dec-14 17:25:06

hmm at my hmm fail!

isseywithcats Fri 12-Dec-14 17:43:55

open the nappy fully bring one corner into the centr, bring the other corner into the center, should look like a kite, bring down flap at top, put under little one bring round side to front and bring up pointy bit ideal for boys as the padding is at the front and i havent done one for 32 years lol

juule Fri 12-Dec-14 17:56:12

Some terry nappy folds from the nappy lady. Maybe one of these would be suitable.
www.thenappylady.co.uk/demovideosterrysquareandprefolds.html

terrysquaremaiden Sat 13-Dec-14 09:55:37

Haha. What I managed last night was surely the most ridiculous terry nappy fold ever!!!! Sort of combined what everyone suggested because I was useless at it confused and added an insert as well, and a cover. DS looked like I had sculpted his bum into a giant piece of popcorn. grin

terrysquaremaiden Sat 13-Dec-14 09:57:42

Oh but it held okay for most of the night!!!
Maybe I've invented a new method. I shall call it the Popcorn Emergency Fold and tell the world.

(Now if only I can remember how I did it...)

SelinaG Sat 13-Dec-14 12:01:21

It's reassuring to know I'm not alone in struggling with terry squares :-)

I have a nearly 3yr old and only recently tried terries on him you'd never believe the trouble I have getting one on him.

terrysquaremaiden Sat 13-Dec-14 17:02:41

I think it was just the sheer number of different folds that got to me last night. grin
I was in a hurry after a spur of the moment decision to try the terries, having had terry nappies on my shelf since DS was born but never having used them, only the all-in-one type cloth nappies. Suddenly there were SO many options!?!? This one for girls, this for boys, for newborns, for older ones, for back coverage, for all coverage, for both sexes, for little absorbency, for safety pins only, for snappies only, for origami masters, for quick changes, for taking to the palace to meet the queen, etc etc etc etc!!!!
I just didn't want to choose the wrong fold first time around and at 00.52am have to take a sodden DS from his cot and change him and everything else!!!
Luckily it worked okay and although not cleared up I think DS's rash is not painful anymore so I will revert to a Totsbots or similar again.
I will definitely use the terry nappies again though if I can figure out the Emergency Popcorn Fold again, because it felt sort of endearing and motherly and traditional, IYSWIM. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now