Talk

Advanced search

To feel like our LL is a bit of a d**k!!

(13 Posts)
Leonardabloo Fri 12-Dec-14 16:19:05

We've just moved into a new place a month and a bit ago, the washing machine broke after first use, it didn't even complete the first spin cycle because it randomly stopped! Because DH and I needed a dryer (and didn't have the space for both washing machine and dryer) we decided to get a washer dryer.

We contacted the estate agent who said they would contacted the landlord and get back to us, 5 days later no reply to so we called them up again and they said they'd contact him, same as before no reply. So when we contacted them the third time they said we'd need to contact the landlord personally for such kings (even though they've stated that they would be the mediator between the LL and us and after saying they'd be contacting him? hmm) So DH contacts LL, tells him washing machine is broke but we'd like it removed so we can get our own washer dryer, he would get it sorted and now a week later no reply again.

AIBU to think we're being fobbed off and to ring the damn LL on Monday and tell him if it's not off the property within 48 hours I'm dumping it or donating it! What even are my rights in this situation? angry

Llareggub Fri 12-Dec-14 16:20:50

You get further being nice than getting stroppy...

Leonardabloo Fri 12-Dec-14 16:23:35

I know I know, just the stress of finally getting a place, and new baby is killing me. I'd get it if it was the first request but we've asked and asked and waited and going to my mums to wash clothes just won't do sad blush

wowfudge Fri 12-Dec-14 16:32:28

If you've just moved in, don't get stroppy now - you're getting things off to a bad start.

As to your rights - what does the tenancy agreement say about the appliances supplied in the property and are they on the inventory?

The normal way of dealing with this, if the washing machine was on the inventory, would be to try to have it repaired. Only if it was uneconomical to repair would you be looking at replacing it and then you would be negotiating with the LL to get a W-D, which is more useful to you. If it isn't on the inventory, so perhaps left behind by a previous tenant, then you can just get rid of it if you want.

I can't see that you have actually agreed anything with the LL - your DH told him you'd like it removed so you can get your own washer dryer. I would politely contact him again, in writing - by email is fine - if possible so you have things documented and ask how he wants to deal with things and asking is he okay with you removing the broken machine and putting your own W-D in. He doesn't have to agree to you replacing it with your own machine. If it could be repaired and he has nowhere to store it, then it can stay there.

Leonardabloo Fri 12-Dec-14 16:42:54

Wow, when we were talking to the estate agents they said the washing machine is the LL's, we were told at the start our LL isn't one person, that he's a company so if we needed something removed then it would be no problem. DH didn't tell him to do anything, he'd ask the estate agents would it possible to remove it before being given over to LL and asking the same, he said he would do it and now over a week later he still hasn't done anything just gone quiet again.

Would it be acceptable to store it out back so we can actually get moving in the kitchen? sad

SlowlorisIncognito Fri 12-Dec-14 16:53:46

Is it definitely ok for you to provide your own appliance? If the landlord is happy for you to do this, then I suggest you store the washing machine somewhere and replace it.

However, as has been said, it is more usual to get a quote to repair, or ask the landlord to arrange a repair, and the landlord would replace if the repair person decided it was needed. This could come back to bite you when it comes to moving out if the washing machine is on the inventory. I would suggest you make sure everything is clearly agreed in writing, as well as over the phone.

WooWooOwl Fri 12-Dec-14 17:48:57

You have gone about this totally the wrong way. If the washing machine is included in the rent and then it broke, you should have reported it before taking it upon yourselves to buy a new machine and then demand the old one is removed.

I wouldn't store it out the back, unless you're prepared to pay to have it repaired and replaced when you move out.

inabeautifulplace Fri 12-Dec-14 18:44:00

I'm assuming you've posted on the wrong thread, WooWoo, as you don't appear to have read the OP.

specialsubject Fri 12-Dec-14 18:47:15

guessing that the agents have just made a note and gone back to filing their nails.

contact the landlord - you are entitled to the contact details.

if you don't want a replacement machine, that's fine - but don't chuck the old one until you've spoken to the landlord. The one you buy will of course be your property, yours to take with and yours to fix.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Fri 12-Dec-14 18:49:24

I don't think you can just decide to throw out the LLs property. Unless you are prepared to pay at the end of the tenancy when the washing machine isn't there or leave the one you bought.

Purplepoodle Fri 12-Dec-14 18:56:35

Think you have to hold into it unless you are going to leave the washing machine you brought at end if tenancy

adevasher Sun 14-Dec-14 15:30:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

wowfudge Mon 15-Dec-14 13:26:08

Did you resolve this OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now