Talk

Advanced search

to think my councils lying

(18 Posts)
Spudthecat Fri 12-Dec-14 13:25:17

I'm on my councils waiting list to be rehoused. I'm a band b priority, my band date goes back to sept 2012. Last week I bidded on a property I was told if I didn't hear anything by the Friday (bidding ended Sunday night) as in today it means I wasn't successful (they send letters to the top 3) anyway I hadn't heard anything so called them, apparently I was 4th now I bidded on an identical property on this exact road 8 months ago and was told I was 4th then?! This is 8 months later and this property had 130 less bids than the last one yet I'm still in the same position. Aibu in believing they are lying and its easy to tell me I'm '4th' as I will never know as they only contact the top 3 people?! Also aibu to think over 2 years is NOT a priority?

Pootles2010 Fri 12-Dec-14 13:28:54

I'm sorry you're having such problems. I can't see why they would lie though!?

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Fri 12-Dec-14 13:30:00

I don't know it depends on the council. Where I live band b is hopeless its highly unlikely that you will ever be high enough up the list to be housed. Even top of the list its only really homeless applications that are housed. Average waiting time is 15-17 years.

Whereas some councils people in the lowest band have just as much chance of being housed as there is a plentiful supply.

I'm in Wokingham borough and have actually been on the homeless list and not been housed, I found private rent quicker, at the time Wokingham didn't even have any bedsits/temp accommodation, I was told to camp on family's floors or sleep in our car!

WillWorkForMoney Fri 12-Dec-14 13:33:18

Chances are have been more people put into band A or moved up from band B. I do believe councils lie though.
I recently moved house (HA to same HA) and out of curiosity I still checked the website to see my old house on. However it did not come on, yet a few weeks later someone was in. The HA give a certain % to the council so a council tenant must have taken it.
At the same time my brother was facing homelessness and rang up to see if they could be re-housed and the council woman said that they can no longer re-home people in council properties, just help them to find a private rent.

thursday Fri 12-Dec-14 13:35:56

Here they always tell you exactly where you came (it's all online). We spent 3 years being 25th then out of the blue they got in touch and said we were 1st 2 months after bidding on a house (it had been earmarked to be adapted for a disabled resident but then they didn't need to so I guess 2nd). Things can change. They gain nothing by lying to you. Still can't understand where the other 24 families went we there's only about 3 houses a year that come up!

Spudthecat Fri 12-Dec-14 13:38:58

Just to add I wasn't given my b easily I had to fight the council for it so part of me does think they are preventing me. I just don't see how I can be in the same spot 8 months later.

TimelyNameChangey Fri 12-Dec-14 13:40:59

Spud it's really hard I know. flowers I was on the brink of being absolutely homeless with my DC and I was STILL third on the list of anything I bid for.

If you have a home that is secure then you're not top priority. People in B&B accommodation or in abusive relationships come first.

Spudthecat Fri 12-Dec-14 13:48:42

My council doesn't even class people who are homeless or in abusive relationships as top priority they are in the same band as me which is b. A is only for people who are downsizing or whose home is being knocked down.

RollTheBallRollTheBall Fri 12-Dec-14 13:50:13

I have lived in a homeless hostel and was priority for every property I had bid on, I don't think that people realise how much homeless people there are and how hard it is to be more of a priority nowadays.

It's disheartening and please don't take my post the wrong way but I was in a hostel with 36 flats all containing families trying to get a home sad

I hope you get one you want soon thanks

VodkaJelly Fri 12-Dec-14 13:55:18

I had the same experience as WillWorkForMoney, I recently moved HA to HA (the same landlord) and my old house never appeared up for bidding but it was allocated before i had moved out, my neighbour knew who was moving into it. The HA even kept ringing me to ask what date I was moving out on as the new tenant wanted to move in asap!

TimelyNameChangey Fri 12-Dec-14 13:57:33

Spud I fail to believe that your council don't class the homeless as top priority. It is the law that they do. What area are you in if you don't mind my asking?

Spudthecat Fri 12-Dec-14 13:59:12

Happened to my mums friend, moved from a 6 bed house into a new built 4 bed house yet was never advertised she told me she was 'nominated' for it...yet when I asked the council about it they denied all knowledge

Spudthecat Fri 12-Dec-14 14:02:54

Feel free to check my councils allocations policy... Greenwich in London. Homeless people are in band b.

Nomama Fri 12-Dec-14 14:08:10

Timely, the way I saw that was Band B has the high need cases in it.

Band A is for those whose moving will make space for those in Band B or the council themselves are making homeless.

So someone downsizing will be given priority into a smaller home as quickly as possible to allow someone at the top of Band B to be rehoused.

So effectively Band A are 'out of the ordinary' and given priority for good reason, some of them help Band B move more quickly.

As for there being a personal grudge somewhere in the system, the computer won't know who you are and, to be honest, 2 years isn't very long to wait. Friends in dire need round here are still at the top of the list after 5 years, no move in sight!

Spudthecat Fri 12-Dec-14 14:13:23

Yes band b is still priority just not top. Tbh 2 years does feel like a long wait as a priority when I've seen people move after 4 months in the same b as me.

GlitterBelle Fri 12-Dec-14 14:21:40

Spud - usually another group of band As are those who have two Bs. I.e. Are homeless and have a disability, or whatever.

I know the system quite well, and I'm afraid it is usually the downsizers that are coming above as you mentioned. And it does seem possible to keep coming third without them lying.

Most band bs wait years in my area, including those with medical problems.

While I do believe people should be rewarded for downsizing to make space, sometimes it's just not right they come above everyone else.

I know people who are severely disabled bidding on bungalows, because they're completely trapped in their current property due to no ramp/level access, unable to reach their kitchen or bathe, who have to wait years because a perfectly healthy person decides to go from a three bed to a two bed.

In our area only those over 65 can bid for bungalows, or people with severe mobility issues. However if you're downsizing, you can bid at any age.

There is a severe, severe shortage of bungalows in the town, so it galls me a heathy 30 year old can take one from disabled people waiting in desperate situations.

Spudthecat Fri 12-Dec-14 14:32:04

My council doesn't give you an A if you have more than one priority need you just get back dated a month which of course doesn't make much of a difference.

Pootles2010 Fri 12-Dec-14 15:41:31

Tbh I'm not suprised its such a long list if its Greenwich. Can't see why they would lie?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now