Talk

Advanced search

to think John Lewis should come and install our new washer before Christmas?

(18 Posts)
Itwontwash Fri 12-Dec-14 09:42:49

Old washing machine broke 2 weeks ago. We decided to get a new one from John Lewis, not the cheapest retailer ,but we chose them because of their renowned customer service, to make sure we had a working washing machine in place asap, with it being Christmas soon.
The new machine was delivered yesterday. However, the man said he couldn't install it because he couldn't take off the cupboard door obstructing the waste pipe. He said it would be referred to the kitchen team and they would sort it out as a priority. He was very pleasant and reassuring so we weren't too worried.
JL now say that they can't get anyone from their kitchen team to come out before Christmas - another month without being able to do any washing, and the new machine is sitting in the middle of the kitchen.
I'm so cross! If we had wanted rubbish customer service there are a lot of cheaper retailers we could have chosen!!

SageSeymour Fri 12-Dec-14 09:45:27

As an aside , could you arrange for somebody independent to come and do this , just to get it in?

I know that doesn't answer your question however ! All you can really do there is push them on it

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Fri 12-Dec-14 09:45:31

To be fair, your kitchen design is hardly their fault.

Remove the kitchen door yourself. Washing machines aren't hard to install.

LadyLuck10 Fri 12-Dec-14 09:47:30

Get someone else to get the door off and ask JL to come back and install it.

chemenger Fri 12-Dec-14 09:54:09

Can't you do it yourself? The JL man was probably not allowed to remove the door for fear of damaging it but there is nothing to stop you getting in there with a screwdriver. Fitting a washing machine consists of removing the transit bracket inside the machine, plugging it in, attaching the one or two inlet pipes and hooking the outlet pipe into your wastepipe and shoving the machine in place. It takes ten minutes and no skill, the instructions are usually very clear in the manual. I'm assuming you have the fittings from your old machine.
I can't visualise why you might need to remove a cupboard door, so it does sound like this is an unusual set up, unfortunately, which you couldn't expect JL to foresee.

Itwontwash Fri 12-Dec-14 09:54:13

Fair points , but we don't know anyone who could take the door off. The JL man said he'd normally be able to do this, as part of the installation but there was a complication with the cupboard and he couldn't. So if he can't do it, we don't want to pay someone from the yellow pages to come out and say the same thing, or have a go and wreck our kitchen!

Itwontwash Fri 12-Dec-14 09:55:47

Chemenger, the JL man does normally remove doors or whatever to fit washers, he just couldn't do ours.

SageSeymour Fri 12-Dec-14 09:56:23

Yellow pages ?!?! Blimey OP, this isn't the 80s!

FB groups are great for obtaining recommendations for local plumbers / fitters etc. it wouldn't cost a lot

Noodledoodledoo Fri 12-Dec-14 10:01:08

Could you contact a local kitchen company to sort the door? Then you fit machine yourself? As others have said it's dead easy.

Itwontwash Fri 12-Dec-14 10:10:15

I didn't mean the yellow pages literally grin, that was shorthand for 'someone we know nothing about' !

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Fri 12-Dec-14 10:12:41

What is wrong with the door that makes it difficult to remove?

Itwontwash Fri 12-Dec-14 10:22:56

Hi Doesnt there are no screws on it, apparently, that can be undone to get it out. I know I dont get it either confused !

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 12-Dec-14 10:26:13

How did you get the old one in then? confused

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Fri 12-Dec-14 11:10:01

Is it not really a door then? Is it a "fake" door like you get on integrated appliances?

itiswhatitiswhatitis Fri 12-Dec-14 11:17:38

To be fair to JL I don't think this is bad customer service just unfortunate kitchen design. I can understand your frustration though. You should be able to find someone to do it who doesn't charge a call out fee just for coming to look. I've never paid anyone just to come and quote for a job

FannyFifer Fri 12-Dec-14 11:21:36

This really isn't a difficult thing to do, just take door off & ring a plumber.

If you really are unable to remove a cupboard door then a joiner could do it.

It's not John Lewis fault.

Could you repost in local asking for recommendations for local handy (wo)man who could help?

Itwontwash Fri 12-Dec-14 11:55:43

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I'm off now to start looking for a local handyman and a laundrette.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now