Talk

Advanced search

record number of coffee shops arrggghhh!!!

(38 Posts)
mrsfuzzy Fri 12-Dec-14 01:18:04

don't get me wrong , i love a coffee as much as the next coffee lover but where i live, we have 17 coffee shops, it's got that bad that even 2 mobile phone shops have closed down and become, you guessed it, more bloody coffee shops. don't know how true it is but i heard that when the moon is colonised the first 3 building are going to be for mobile phone , mc donalds and costa!

AlleyCat11 Fri 12-Dec-14 01:23:12

I hate coffee. All other shopping will eventually move online & there will just be coffee shops. Folk will do everything from desk / home & only go outdoors for coffee. Nice shops are gone already... High Street is muck now.

EatShitDerek Fri 12-Dec-14 01:24:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 12-Dec-14 01:38:33

In Vancouver you can sit opposite a Starbucks while looking at one.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 12-Dec-14 01:39:57

Sit in one while looking at one... Stupid trying to cook and MN.

Bulbasaur Fri 12-Dec-14 03:29:40

MrsTerryPratchett

Come the US sometime, we have a place where three Starbucks are all in short walking distance from each other. Two in the same plaza, and one across the street. It's madness.

SurfsUp1 Fri 12-Dec-14 04:47:24

Sydney is cafe MAD too!! Not sure if we have Starbucks anymore - we did for a while, but Sydney-siders are massive coffee snobs so they weren't as successful as they are in some places.

I love in a very small suburb (no mall or anything) and there must be 20 odd cafes!! And they all seem to busy! hmm

Andrewofgg Fri 12-Dec-14 05:29:11

Somebody likes them enough to keep them in business!

kim147 Fri 12-Dec-14 05:32:00

Euphemia Fri 12-Dec-14 05:32:18

Starbucks coffee in the UK is horrid, but it was the only place I could get a decent cup in Orlando. The one at Downtown Disney is beautiful. Sigh!

I've taken to supporting my local independent cafés. Much better. Also decent food. smile

RedButtonhole Fri 12-Dec-14 05:37:37

My nearest town has three costas, a cafe nero, sit in greggs, and about three or four independent coffee shops- in the same street!

I never thought about it until now.

BathshebaDarkstone Fri 12-Dec-14 06:18:01

Cafe Nero was a godsend on Tuesday. Dropped DD off, had an hour to wait before Christmas party at children's centre, sat in Cafe Nero, then had another hour before picking up DD, so back in Cafe Nero again. Apart from that we hardly go. We also have a Starbucks in Currys, so we're not exactly inundated here, but then we don't have much here at all. fsmile

Preciousbane Fri 12-Dec-14 07:49:50

Tanaqui Fri 12-Dec-14 08:04:57

Town of 30,000

Cafe Nero, Starbucks, sit in greggs, waitrose cafe, independent cafe, dept store cafe, swimming pool cafe, greasy spoon, charity shop cafe.

Plus mac Donald's, subway, KFC, pubs and so on!

Rantymop Fri 12-Dec-14 08:08:27

West London suburb, a small village type area with a mile long road - it's All cafes, estate agents and hairdressers.

Woobeedoo Fri 12-Dec-14 09:12:55

My local high street is full of coffee shops, charity shops and hairdressers.

Floggingmolly Fri 12-Dec-14 09:19:51

There are three Starbucks on Chiswick High Street in West London. Two of them used to be really nice independent cafes. It's a bloody shame.

ChristmasMarketCrazy Fri 12-Dec-14 10:05:02

crouch end in north london has got to be coffee shop central! I have never seen so many

19lottie82 Fri 12-Dec-14 10:06:56

There's also a record number of bookies on the high street....... Would you prefer them?

Bproud Fri 12-Dec-14 10:08:08

How do they make money? I know the coffee is expensive compared to cost price, but you must have to sell hundreds to pay the rent.

ChristmasMarketCrazy Fri 12-Dec-14 10:17:51

They sell other things too! fancy coffees, hot chocolate with marshmallows being extra, special organic cloudy lemonade etc.
the price of a cheese toastie in Costa is something ridiculous like £4.50!

JamaicanMeEatMincePies Fri 12-Dec-14 10:20:08

God you lot would hate Inverness! There are probably at least 60 cafés, 9 of those are actually in the shopping centre confused

And there are several £shops, several bookies and a whole heap of phone shops. It's not even a big place! You could walk anywhere in Inverness in an hour or less and the population is about 70k confused

LaurieFairyCake Fri 12-Dec-14 10:21:15

The thing is that they're a cheapish way to feel that you've been out and that you've been out for 'lunch' if you go out for a coffee.

It's all downgrading - when I had money I went to restaurants, now I don't a coffee and a slice of cake is the best thing to get that feeling.

MissYamabuki Fri 12-Dec-14 10:21:18

I'd love more cafes in my nearest town. It's all charity shops, bookies, crappy souvenir shops and and the odd chainstore.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 12-Dec-14 10:24:43

Small (very small) city. Our town centre boasts a stupidly small Debenhams, a Post Office, a Bon Marche, a B&M, a Wilkos & about 20 coffee shops - including not one, but two Costas and a Café Nero.

I only drink instant so never venture in. Unless I desperately need a sit down & then I'll go to one of the 'proper' cafes where I can get a decent cup of tea & a slice of cake for less than a week's wages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now