Talk

Advanced search

Where to go for a pre teen bra?

(43 Posts)
ItsaboatJack Thu 11-Dec-14 22:48:54

Sorry, not remotely an AIBU, but I'm totally posting here for traffic.

My dd1 has just turned 10 but is already very developed. She has been in crop tops for a couple of years but I'm starting to think that she should be in a proper bra now. I'd make a guess that she would already be a b cup, but she's also very slim so she'd be a tiny back size.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where is a good place to go for a first Bra?

defineme Thu 11-Dec-14 22:51:07

John lewis and marks and spencers both have nice first bras, as did next I think.

TooHasty Thu 11-Dec-14 22:51:37

M& S?

ilovepowerhoop Thu 11-Dec-14 22:51:37

My dad is

ilovepowerhoop Thu 11-Dec-14 22:53:09

Did not mean to post that blush. My dd measures as 28dd and I think it's only John Lewis that has that size in a teen bra

SaucyJack Thu 11-Dec-14 22:53:46

Awkward.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Thu 11-Dec-14 22:54:32

smile

Do NOT let M&S measure her under any circumstances, they're awful. John Lewis do good teen bras, the smallest band size you will get is a 28 but they do soft cups up to at least a DD.

Measure her the bra intervention way to give you a starting size

Theas18 Thu 11-Dec-14 22:58:22

Not m&s please. They don't carry 28 bras really, the fitting is awful and stupid offhand comments are made far too often.

John Lewis.

Don't rule out bravissimo. Dd has been a bravissimo girl since 10/11 and they've never been anything other than totally lovely and confidence inspiring. Shes wondering if she can get a Saturday job there when she's old enough ��

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Thu 11-Dec-14 23:00:01

Debenhams do a range of first bras, which are soft cups without wires or padding. Here is a link

ItsaboatJack Thu 11-Dec-14 23:59:54

I was already thinking to avoid M&S, after years myself of wearing the wrong size bra. I'm in central London so I'll look at JS and Bravissimo this weekend.

Thanks.

ItsaboatJack Fri 12-Dec-14 00:01:17

Saucyjack, why awkward?

SaucyJack Fri 12-Dec-14 00:04:18

Not you- powerhoop,

Waltonswatcher Fri 12-Dec-14 00:04:49

Don't dismiss mns.
I've crept in there recently and been surprised at the quality and fit . They do a 'angels' range for teens .

ItsaboatJack Fri 12-Dec-14 00:13:47

And I'd also like to say, thank you for the non judgemental comments. I'm getting to thr point where I'm expecting talent scouts to jump out from every corner.

Tsoukalosy Fri 12-Dec-14 00:33:12

Why the M & S hate? I get my bra's from there as i am a 30 back and can't find many places that do a good fit but M & S do.

Their fitting service is dreadful because they insist on adding inches when they fit you. I'm a 30,, they fit me in a 36. The quality is patchy at best and they dont scale up well for larger cups

TOADfan Fri 12-Dec-14 06:53:38

Off topic but M&S is the only place where I can get a good bra to fit. Never been measured there but every bra I have got has been perfect, as opposed to other places where 1 my size may fit and other be too big or too small.

AnguaResurgam Fri 12-Dec-14 07:07:40

I'd be surprised if a preteen had a 30 back.

What does she actually measure?

Debenhams usually have more choice than JL, and M&S don't do the narrow back sizes that preteens usually need (but have a better range once a 30)

victoryinthekitchen Fri 12-Dec-14 07:14:35

I got a few from Debenhams and Matalan for dd to try at home as she didn't want to be measured.

Theas18 Fri 12-Dec-14 07:57:55

We aren't saying get an m&s bra ( though the op isn't going to get one that fits I doubt - almost no 28 backs, and angel bras are iirc 30-34 A-C cup or something like that). Most pre teens/ young teens who aren't significantly overweight are 28 back, and with breast tissue rather than just breast buds, a D cup or more if you fit properly.

Actually I bet a lot of youngsters actually need a 26 back, but they don't make them!

It's the fitters. Not just the adding inches but the offhand comments. We've had " well you shouldn't be in wires at your age" when she was wearing a 28e ( ever seen a non wired e cup? ) and " we haven't got that size, let's go up a band and down a cup and it'll be the same" ( what?) with the unspoken message " don't be stupid no one has boobs that big at your age" message.

Dd is a tough cookie. She coped. My niece would have been completely mortified and never forgotten it. ( she had her 1st bravissimo fitting this year and coped - they were lovely.

WillWorkForMoney Fri 12-Dec-14 08:09:43

I got a cheapie one in sainsburys for dd1 (nearly 11)
I've been meaning to ask a question about bras. In asda i asked if they had any small bras. I said dd had a 28aa but was a bit tight so thought a 30aa would do. The lady then told me that a b or c cup might be better as b is for back, c is for cup...how does that work then? And what does a, d, dd etc mean? I thought the number was the inches around your back and cup the size of your boobs? Is that not right?
I've never been fitted for a bra (36g) just tried a few on til i got the right one, and growing up i just had my cousins hand me down bras <cringe>

Bunbaker Fri 12-Dec-14 08:16:38

I can get M & S Angel bras with a 28" back, but only to a C cup. I measured DD using the MN bra fitting service and got her bras from M & S. She really doesn't need a bra yet, but she is 14 and in year 10 and would get teased mercilessly for not wearing one. DD says they are a good fit. She is very shy about her body so I just have to take her word for it.

Jinglebells99 Fri 12-Dec-14 08:45:35

will work for money you are right, the asda lady was talking nonsense! The letters are cup size and number is measurement around back/chest. was the asda lady having a laugh or just ignorant?!

InMySpareTime Fri 12-Dec-14 08:53:49

I take a 26" band size, there is one supplier in the UK Made In Preston but they only start from DD cup size (which isn't actually very much Breast tissue on a 26 back).
If your DD won't let you measure her, get her to measure tight around the ribs for the band size, then loose around the fullest part of the chest.
The difference between the two measurements gives a starting point for cup size.
<1"=AA
1=A
2=B
3=C
4=D
5=DD
Summed up better here
7=E

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now