Talk

Advanced search

To ask WHY there are little girls with bare legs and ankle socks in this weather ?

(202 Posts)
BlahBlahYeahYeah Thu 11-Dec-14 22:39:20

Are you the owner of one of these amazingly resilient (possibly frozen) little girls, sporting bare legs and ankle socks in Mary Jane type shoes in this weather?

Can someone PLEASE explain this mystery to me, because I just cannot get my head round it.

As a parent to a school age dd and toddler dd, I couldn't contemplate bare legs in this weather for either of them.

Are these parents BU? Or am I??

BlahBlahYeahYeah Thu 11-Dec-14 22:40:20

Sorry: this is school uniform , I forgot to add!

Funkytown Thu 11-Dec-14 22:41:32

You are not being unreasonable
I also hate the parents who walk around with their child in a pushchair with out a coat hat or gloves and the parents with the child with no socks and shoes on
Now I know babies pull them off but really use two minutes of your busy time to put them back on angry

ThePinkOcelot Thu 11-Dec-14 22:41:57

Because mam leaves the house before school time to go to work and said child is left with dad maybe?! Well that's the reason here!

TooHasty Thu 11-Dec-14 22:42:25

A (state) primary school near us has short trousers as there uniform all year round.You see them peeling off joggers at the school gate before they come in

LiegeAndLief Thu 11-Dec-14 22:42:30

My dd is in tights, but my ds is still in his shorts. He insists. He wore them all the way through last year as well, I don't think we actually have any school trousers that fit him any more. Apparently his legs don't get cold.

MintChocAddict Thu 11-Dec-14 22:42:37

Or the schools who insist on blazers all year round. Mad!

UniS Thu 11-Dec-14 22:43:25

Because little girls are dead hard.

Just like little boys. Yes ds I mean you , complaining about being asked to wear long trousers to cubs tonight. He is still wearing shorts for school, he leaves the house with long socks pulled up to his knees but by 3.30 they are round his ankles.

StillProcrastinating Thu 11-Dec-14 22:43:30

Mine wanted to wear a skirt today. But we were just going from car into sports centre so she wasn't outside for hours. I blame Elsa. Mine actually said to me "the cold doesn't bother me, anyway" and pulled her Elsa face.

She wore jeans on our walk earlier.

So I'm not surprised if people raise an eyebrow at her bare legs, I feel the same, but I know she will survive. And if it teaches her that the cold does bother her and she isn't a snow queen, then so much the better!

StillProcrastinating Thu 11-Dec-14 22:44:06

Dammit, I took too long typing and you'd moved on!

Shedding Thu 11-Dec-14 22:44:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChristmasJumperWearer Thu 11-Dec-14 22:44:31

It almost happened to us earlier this week when I was preoccupied with wrestling DC2 into clothes and let DC1 dress herself.

She got as far as the car before I noticed, and hightailed it back inside for some tights.

If I hadn't noticed, and we had got to school, it would have been ankle socks and bare legs.

Mind you, this is the child who, as a preschooler, often refused point-blank to wear a coat or socks or shoes. I got a lot of judgemental looks that December. But she would literally strip herself off in the pushchair.

One of DD1's friends has had bare legs the past week, but I happen to know that her family have a stack of other, BIG, stuff going on at home, so I absolutely don't judge them for that.

BlahBlahYeahYeah Thu 11-Dec-14 22:44:57

Toohasty - gosh that's a first! So do they wear the joggers to the school gates to stay warm?

But then there's lunch and play time. Two plays for some. Short trousers as uniform hmm

neverputasockinatoaster Thu 11-Dec-14 22:46:32

If it was my DD it would be because she cannot tolerate tights, socks must be just so... and leggings will often be removed because they are twizzly.
I leave her to it as there are other areas I think need more fighting over.

ChristmasJumperWearer Thu 11-Dec-14 22:47:18

My DCs also refuse to wear scarf, hat or gloves. Would go coatless if possible.

I wear all of the above, and I don't doubt that people judge me for not dressing them for the cold weather. But if they strip it off and discard it, what can I do?

Believe me, I've tried everything including bribery.

GooodMythicalMorning Thu 11-Dec-14 22:47:34

Because she wrecks tights in two minutes of putting them on therefore pointless. Socks dont worry her though, she has a long pinafore and long coat though. Don't understand why girls aren't allowed to wear trousers like the boys are tbh.

PigeonPie Thu 11-Dec-14 22:47:38

I have a DS2 (almost 7) who wears shorts and socks most of the year too - I can't remember the last time he wore school trousers anyway, although he occasionally wears 'sports' trousers at home.

He doesn't feel the cold and I'm not going to insist he wears trousers. He's happy how he is. I thought we were going to have a battle with his nativity outfit this year as they specified trousers, shirt etc, but his teacher knows him and is fine with him wearing shorts and sandals for the performance!

As children my sis and I didn't wear tights to school, we had long(ish) socks and skirts.

ChristmasJumperWearer Thu 11-Dec-14 22:48:21

Oh yes, and I have a tights-refuser too. Long socks get scrunched down. Every time.

Trousers. Will. Not. Be. Worn.

furcoatbigknickers Thu 11-Dec-14 22:49:15

I sent my 2 dds in knee highs last week and they were frozen, tights for forseeable and we are down south!

Pico2 Thu 11-Dec-14 22:49:46

Boys used to wear shorts all year round at lots of schools, I remember my brother having them. I think it is on the basis that knees heal but trousers don't.

DD would wear a summer dress all year if I'd let her. She has always been a warm child and never got bundled up like some of her peers. She went to a Frozen party at the weekend and refused to put her coat over her Elsa dress. We also got "the cold never bothered me anyway".

BlahBlahYeahYeah Thu 11-Dec-14 22:49:49

Gooodmythical- girls arnt allowed to wear trousers at your dc school?! Wow. My dd's school allow trousers , no problem.

And tights are cheap!

Funkytown Thu 11-Dec-14 22:49:52

Ok so I've just seen it's about school uniform blush
All the girls around here are in trousers or dresses with leggings under

furcoatbigknickers Thu 11-Dec-14 22:50:15

The baby/toddler in a buggy thing.... You put them on, they take them off, give up.

Mousefinkle Thu 11-Dec-14 22:50:39

No bare legs here but definitely Mary Jane shoes. My DD has pink dr marten ones that she's quite insistent on wearing regardless of weather, I'm not gonna fight her over it. I do put socks under her thick tights though to try and help... I remember last year when she had similar red ones on a woman on the bus was sat directly behind me with her toddler saying something along the lines of "Oh your feet must be so nice and warm in these big fluffy boots." Quite loudly and obviously having a little dig at my DD's footwear. Feck off, at least she's stylish <flounces off> grin.

Bare legs are a huge no no though unless it's at least 18 degrees outside, poor little mites.

TheGirlWhoPlayedWithFire Thu 11-Dec-14 22:50:51

I own one of these. I leave the house at 8 and generally try and make sure DD has tights otherwise she will NOT wear them.

She regularly gets changed out of school uniform into a swimsuit and tutu. She moans when I point out this is unsuitable dress when we leave the house and that it may be a tad chilly. She looks at me like this confused and genuinely doesn't get it.

I don't understand her at all. But no it's not parental neglect here thank you very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now