Talk

Advanced search

To spend fifty pounds on a SAD light

(10 Posts)
Notmuchhaschanged Thu 11-Dec-14 20:40:48

To cheer up someone who is grumpy in the winter even if it will mean I have to live on beans on toast for weeks.

ovaltine Thu 11-Dec-14 20:45:53

They'll probably still be grumpy. I didn't find the lumie one that useful and DH has a massive one he never uses as its too bright!

olympicsrock Thu 11-Dec-14 20:49:58

We have a lumie alarm click. It makes a massive difference to grim winter mornings. The light bulb has been replaced with a normal one and it still works fine. Just less of a rude awakening.

toomuchtooold Thu 11-Dec-14 20:53:52

I've got the lumie alarm clock and the lightbox and in the years when I did use the lightbox I found it quite useful.

Not sure it would have done much for my mood if someone had lived on beans and toast to buy it for me because I was being grumpy though. confused

Notmuchhaschanged Thu 11-Dec-14 20:55:48

What about IF you were being REALLY grumpy

milkpudding Thu 11-Dec-14 21:19:44

I bought one from Lumie and I could return it if it didn't help

I did this, and I felt it worked last winter, this year he is not using it as 'it's too bright' and 'didn't really help'.

But he is out tonight, and this thread has reminded me that I was going to put it beside his bed to put on in the morning, so thanks xx

KatyMac Thu 11-Dec-14 21:28:49

There is currently speculation/research that it's actually vitamin D deficiency rather than SAD (or that SAD is vitamin D deficiency not sure which way round it is)

& Vit D supplements might be cheaper to try?

Springheeled Thu 11-Dec-14 22:14:47

I'm watching with interest as I have a vit d supplement at the mo, but thought I probably needed a SAD lamp!

SoleSource Thu 11-Dec-14 22:37:43

The SAD light boxes are reduced by £20 in Maplin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now