Talk

Advanced search

To phone in to work sick with a cold?

(50 Posts)
StopStaringAtMyTits Thu 11-Dec-14 09:35:17

I have had a cold since Monday but have went to work over the past few days anyways. Tbh though I wasn't exactly productive on those days and just got by. This morning however I have woken up and I just feel like crap, even worse than the past few days.

My throat is killing me and I'm losing my voice and I feel all shaky and achy all over. I just want to go to sleep.

I know that it would be best to get a few days off and some rest and I know I wouldn't really be much use at work if I did go.

I have never been off sick with a cold before though and am a bit blush about phoning in sick because of it.

jimijack Thu 11-Dec-14 09:38:15

Have you had any paracetamol or anything?

Fudgeface123 Thu 11-Dec-14 09:40:47

I've got full on flu and a chest infection, everything aches, I'm pouring snot, my head feels like it's going to explode, I feel like I've swallowed razor blades and my eyes are like pissholes in the snow, but I'm at work. We're not allowed sick days for colds/flu but then everyone complains when we come in and pass it on.

Not sure what the solution is....

cruikshank Thu 11-Dec-14 09:41:39

Tell them it's a virus (which a cold is, so you're not lying) and you're incapacitated with it (which it sounds like you are). If you're having aches and pains and feeling shaky it might well be a mild form of flu (yes, they do exist, before some duffer starts banging on about the ten pound note test), in which case you'd be more than justified in missing a couple of days off work.

NoSundayWorkingPlease Thu 11-Dec-14 09:42:43

I would never phone in sick and just say I had a cold.

But I would phone in and list the other symptoms, and say I've got a cold and sore throat and aches and pains, and that I wasn't coming in in case it was the start of flu (which hopefully it's not but you don't know)

SomewhereovertheRainbow02 Thu 11-Dec-14 09:44:36

Ive been the same this week and yesterday felt like id been hit by a train but i went to work and just asked for half a days holiday once id got there!
Dose up on cold and flu. It will get you through it.
Hope your feeling better soon

Tinkerball Thu 11-Dec-14 09:46:43

If you're not fit for work then you have to phone in sick. Fudge I dont understand what you mean by not being "allowed" to phone in because of colds and flu - so even if you had a Doctors line, which is needed anyway in my work for sickness over 5 days they wouldn't "allow" this? Sickness is sickness, regardless of cause if you are not fit for work.

echt Thu 11-Dec-14 09:47:08

Makes me glad I can 'phone and say that I'm ill. Can't you do that?

Fudgeface123 Thu 11-Dec-14 09:49:07

Tinkerball, I mean exactly what I said, we aren't allowed sick days for colds and flu.

Fudgeface123 Thu 11-Dec-14 09:50:11

And I mean to say I wouldn't go to the docs for colds and flu, there's nothing the doctor can do for it

XmasTimeMammariesandWine Thu 11-Dec-14 10:02:59

Well that is illegal not to allow you sick days.

Just say you are being sick if you have to.

weeblueberry Thu 11-Dec-14 10:22:40

You're not allowed to be off with the flu?? What? The flu can have you totally bed bound-I'm not quite sure how you could even get to work with full blown flu tbh.

Tinkerball Thu 11-Dec-14 10:26:34

Well in that case Fudge your employer is breaking the law.

Tinkerball Thu 11-Dec-14 10:27:59

And I know exactly how bad flu can be, it can leave you immobile for weeks. There is no way people have the energy to get out of bed, never mind go to work.

redautumnleaves Thu 11-Dec-14 10:33:22

Stopstaring - you sound poorly. You will infect others with your virus and germs if you go to work. You will get worse if you go in and you will be unable to do much anyway. You can call and say you have a upper respiratory tract infection! That sounds better than a cold! Stay in bed and feel better. Drink plenty of fluids.

CoolCat2014 Thu 11-Dec-14 10:36:20

If your shaking and aching then call in sick - you're not going to be much use and you don't want to infect people, say you've got a nasty virus.

If you just had a runny nose and sore throat you should go in IMO.

19lottie82 Thu 11-Dec-14 10:39:59

Fudge - of course there is something your doctor can do for the flu, they're called antibiotics! If you had the flu you wouldn't be able to go to work full stop so the matter about calling I sick isn't even up for debate.

OP if you feel like shit stay home and rest up, and DONT feel guilty. Look at it this way, do you want to give this to all your colleagues?

angelos02 Thu 11-Dec-14 10:41:21

fudgeface if you had influenza you wouldn't be physically able to get out of bed let alone go to work.

GnomeDePlume Thu 11-Dec-14 10:42:09

Any chance you can work from home? Can you go in and pick up some work then carry on from home? I find that I am much more productive from home in this situation as I can keep myself dosed up and sniff to my hearts content!

MillionToOneChances Thu 11-Dec-14 10:42:12

I think the issue here is that people use 'flu' to mean a bad cold, which it really isn't. Even a bad cold can have you laid up (she says from her sickbed). Fudgeface, legally they can't stipulate what illness is acceptable.

MillionToOneChances Thu 11-Dec-14 10:43:31

19lotties antibiotics do NOT affect viruses like colds and flu

MoonAndBackAgain Thu 11-Dec-14 10:43:49

What's the £10 note test?

I hope you feel better soon OP.

MissDuke Thu 11-Dec-14 10:44:15

I agree with pp's - if you have the flu, you couldn't get to work!!!

Depends on your job op! When I worked in an office I went in unless I was throwing up or physically couldn't drive there - however now I work in maternity, I would ring in if unwell and ask what they think - I don't want to be spreading illness to babies.

I would say your colleagues would rather you stayed home. Take care!

Fallingovercliffs Thu 11-Dec-14 10:45:56

Fudgeface, your employer is trying it on and hasn't got a legal leg to stand on.

OP, unless you have a terrible sick leave record I don't really see the problem. I have often worked with people who have rung in sick because they're smothered with a cold, and I have done it myself. Personally I hate people coming into work and coughing and sneezing all over everyone and blowing their noses every five minutes. It's not doing anyone any favours in the long run.

badtime Thu 11-Dec-14 10:59:17

Fudgeface, that is totally illegal, and if you went to a doctor, they could give you a note.

19lottie82, antibiotics do not treat viral illnesses! No matter how much flu you've got!

OP, some colds can be very severe. A ridiculous example, but do you remember SARS? It caused severe flu-like symptoms (and in some cases death) but was more closely related to a cold than flu (it was caused by a coronavirus, as are some colds, although most are caused by rhinoviruses).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now