Talk

Advanced search

to wish the BBC would stop calling Scotland 'Northern UK'??

(146 Posts)
CocktailQueen Thu 11-Dec-14 09:35:12

Was reading the BBC weather website yesterday about the weather bomb that hit northern UK.

Drives me mad! Separate country ... it's never been 'northern UK'. Grr.

MrsCakesPrecognition Thu 11-Dec-14 09:40:04

Presumably they were talking about bits of the UK that aren't Scotland as well?

Footle Thu 11-Dec-14 09:41:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Dec-14 09:43:05

YANBU (and as far as I know the "weather bomb" was just Scotland )

O be fair to the BBC though, I think they do it through sheer ignorance and arrogance, rather than to deliberately piss off Scots.

Namechangeyetagaintohide Thu 11-Dec-14 09:43:50

Scotland is the UK. It is a country in it's own right but it is also part if the UK. confused the northern part.

OfficerKaren Thu 11-Dec-14 09:45:08

They are talking about the geographical landmass of Britain. The wind doesn't stop at the border.

They are NOT making a political point.

YADBU.

Guineapig99 Thu 11-Dec-14 09:45:14

YABU - they're talking abouth the North of England, Scotland AND Northern Ireland. Which can definitely be described as Northern UK geographical.

OstentatiousBreastfeeder Thu 11-Dec-14 09:46:32

But... it is Northern UK confused

manicinsomniac Thu 11-Dec-14 09:46:33

But it is the North of the UK. I haven't seen this but presumably whatever they are talking about also affects Northumberland, Cumbria etc.

OfficerKaren Thu 11-Dec-14 09:46:46

Sorry I waded missing the point they said northern UK!blush

Anyway YAstillBU!

londonrach Thu 11-Dec-14 09:47:10

Dont understand it is northern part including yorkshire..

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Dec-14 09:48:35

Surely it would then be northern Britain (geographical) rather than northern UK (political)?

Andrewofgg Thu 11-Dec-14 09:49:07

OP You are looking for offence where there is none. Geographically the North of England and Scotland form the Northern part of Britain and of the UK.

kim147 Thu 11-Dec-14 09:51:11

OfficerKaren Thu 11-Dec-14 09:52:05

The BBC reports to UK so since NI was affected by the weather too it makes sense to use northern UK.

But do come back and explain how it's all part of the BBC conspiracy..

magpieginglebells Thu 11-Dec-14 09:55:50

If they said Northern Britain then they wouldn't be describing NI. They mean NI, Scotland, Cumbria etc.

It's descriptive not political.

kim147 Thu 11-Dec-14 09:56:06

badtime Thu 11-Dec-14 09:58:18

I just read the BBC article and it discusses how this has affected (or will affect) Northern Ireland and the north of England, so I think YABU.

I suspect they didn't want to write 'Scotland' and then have a lot of people from other northern regions complain that they were being ignored; being a bit vague was probably seen as the lesser of two evils.

windymila Thu 11-Dec-14 09:58:29

Definitely had the weather bomb up here in the North of England too, which is also Northern UK so I think YABU

Jellibelli Thu 11-Dec-14 09:58:52

Just agreeing with OfficerKaren - presumably they said northern UK as they are including NI. Great Britain and UK include different land areas and not just a geographical/political difference.

Tobyjugg Thu 11-Dec-14 09:59:06

North Britain!

OfficerKaren Thu 11-Dec-14 10:00:20

The Fylde coast was affected yesterday although to nowhere near the extent of the Western Isles, but it was part the the same weather system.

Although I would guess (from experience) the OP refers to that area as "Down South" and thinks no further differentiation necessary, like it were Tunbridge Wells.

We can all choose to take umbrage if we try hard enough!

mangoespadrille Thu 11-Dec-14 10:02:52

It is frustrating when you live in Manchester and watch the national weather. They will refer to the South East, South West, Midlands and the North. I am pretty sure we're classed as North but our weather is rarely the same as Cumbria, let alone Scotland.

badtime Thu 11-Dec-14 10:03:06

Oh, and Scotland is part of the 'northern UK'. It just is. Look at a map.

(I am from NI, and don't mind the homeland being described as either the northern or western UK, or any way you care to describe its position in Ireland, because it is both, and I looked at a map .)

KeemaNaanAndCurryOn Thu 11-Dec-14 10:08:01

The United Kingdom, last time I checked, was Scotland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales.

So, if you live in Scotland you are in the northern UK.

I don't see why geography would upset you so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now