Talk

Advanced search

crap agency wtf to do urgent!!!

(24 Posts)
abouttobeevicted Wed 10-Dec-14 21:55:12

I have a contract that finishes on Friday. I have been offered a new contract starting on 5 jan . 
all well and good but in the payment terms I won't be paid until 28th Feb.
I do understand I invoice and they pay 28 days later.
but I can't afford this.
my current contract I was being paid weekly but in mid Nov they changed it saying the recruiter who hired me hadn't been authorised to do this.

now I have a 3 month rolling contract but how do I get them to change their payment? I am willing to walk but I love my job I'm respected and liked and its a step up in my career but I can't afford to do it. I have a sahd and 2dds who all need food rents travel etc. wtf do I do??????confused

I have posted in employment as well but need trafficsmile

woowoo22 Wed 10-Dec-14 22:13:09

Am confused. Why would you work jan and not be paid til feb?

PortofinoVino Wed 10-Dec-14 22:23:17

Perhaps because woowoo she won't know what hours she's worked until she's worked them, then she invoices them at the end of January, and they pay 28 days later i.e. the end of Feb?

simbacatlivesagain Wed 10-Dec-14 22:26:14

Am confused. Why would you work jan and not be paid til feb?

Because it sounds as if she is a contractor. You pay less tax and NI but don't have the benefit of regular pay, holiday pay, pension etc

You can't gave the best of both worlds. If you want job security and regular income then done be a contractor and take home less money.

abouttobeevicted Wed 10-Dec-14 22:39:00

simba- I don't pay less tax oh how I wish
I was being paid weekly. so but now am not. I've worked Nov and will be paid 28th DEC. my last pay was 9 Nov last weekly pay so have been trying to pay but we have about 200 left till then and need to pay rent bills Xmas etc. on 28 I'll get about 4k but then nothing till end of Feb.
why can't I ask to be paid 5 days after invoice or every 2 weeks with 5 days.

who can afford to work for 2 months before they get paid no matter what money it is????

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 10-Dec-14 22:43:33

This is pretty normal for freelance work, if you don't like the terms offered then you are free to decline the work and find something else.

You ought to be paying less tax, if you aren't then you are doing something very wrong!

Sn00p4d Wed 10-Dec-14 22:44:12

Will you not get paid for working in December at the end of jan then? I'm not sure I'm following

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 10-Dec-14 22:44:29

And you can ask, you can go to the agency and say 'these are the payment terms I normally work on, how close to that can you get' and see what they say.

TinLizzie Wed 10-Dec-14 22:54:02

OP do you have a limited company? Under what terms are you contracting? Depends what line of work you're in, but if you're a freelance contractor then you really ought to be setting a rate that means you're able to put enough away to manage for 3-6 months without work (not income as you should still be able to pay yourself). As a limited company, YOU determine your payment terms within reason, so if you've worked December then ought to be invoicing end Dec and paid within ... 7 days... or whatever terms you've engaged within your contract. Difficult to answer without more info.

TinLizzie Wed 10-Dec-14 22:56:00

Sorry - just re-read OP. 28 days payment terms is far too long and you need to renegotiate that BEFORE you sign your next contract.

abouttobeevicted Wed 10-Dec-14 23:23:52

I work under an umbrella company so technically employed by them.

but I've always been paid weekly or 5 days after invoice. umbrella do same day payments.

I want to stay where I am as I like it respected etc but I will walk.

my boss took 6 months to find someone me so if I don't sign he's not going to use the agency again!!

I don't want more money even though they make 150 a day for me being there I just want to be paid and pay my rent feed everyone etc

venusinscorpio Wed 10-Dec-14 23:36:44

OP, I know it's a slightly different situation, but I would just tell the agency their terms are a dealbreaker. In July I went for a job interview after a few weeks out of work for what I thought was a maternity cover temp role which would be on weekly pay but actually was a FTC on monthly pay. I didn't have enough money to commute (long commute, expensive season ticket) and support myself for 6/7 weeks as I had been temping weekly for years so I spoke to the recruiter and said I didn't think I could proceed on those terms and that I would have to pull out.

They said to go the interview and see what happened which I did and apparently I was the only credible candidate. So the agency spoke to them and told them of my situation and they ended up offering me a choice between a season ticket loan or to be paid in advance a few days after I started for that month. I took the latter as was more money. If the client is a big company they will possibly have these season ticket etc loan procedures in place.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 10-Dec-14 23:46:16

You've posted this before, haven'tyou?

woowoo22 Thu 11-Dec-14 06:53:36

That's what I meant! Invoice at end of month and get paid following week surely.

Challenge the agency. They sound inept.

TheChandler Thu 11-Dec-14 06:58:10

Just invoice them mid-January in advance.

notquiteruralbliss Thu 11-Dec-14 12:22:35

I wouldn't be happy with those terms. In my last 2 contracts I have invoiced weekly and been paid a week later. That seems to be the norm.

Gawjushun Thu 11-Dec-14 12:29:12

Have you actually asked the agency about changing payment terms? If not, pick up the phone right now and ask! They might be sympathetic and help you work something out. When I do freelance work my invoices usually get paid pretty quick, as it keeps a good working relationships.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Dec-14 12:31:02

OP, in your other thread you said you are self-employed but in this on you say you are not. Which is it? This is pretty critical regarding your options!

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 11-Dec-14 12:33:59

If you are a contractor and set up as a limited company, then you are likely to fall foul of IR35.

MairyHinge Thu 11-Dec-14 12:37:18

Just as an aside, if you're due to be paid 28th December ( which is a Sunday ) surely, due to Xmas and bank hols you'll get paid 24th?
Hope so anyway, as surely that'd help with Xmas. Although it's not going to help when you've to go 2 months without pay.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 11-Dec-14 13:17:04

Tinkly why would she fall foul? Depends entirely on the terms of the contract.

OP normally I think contractors should go the route of a ltd company, umbrella can be very expensive tax-wise, you are probably paying more than you should be. However, with such a sketchy grasp of your contract, terms and general set up maybe you should stay as you are to avoid an unwelcome encounter with the tax man!

And stop going on about just wanting to pay the rent and feed everyone. That is everybody's position, but not the responsibility of the agency or anyone else. It is up to you to manage your cash-flow - especially if you are working as a contractor/freelance etc then you have to rely on yourself and yourself alone.

whattodoforthebest2 Thu 11-Dec-14 13:25:04

If you're on good terms with the umbrella company, ask them if they'll pay you an advance. Hopefully they'll be accommodating if you've been with them a while and they know they'll get paid. They have the funds to do this if they wish.

InfinitySeven Thu 11-Dec-14 13:29:00

Could you not stretch out the £4k to last until Feb? Presumably once the initial month is out of the way, you'll be being paid monthly, the same as most people. Unfortunately, a lot of people have to go through a no-pay month when you start a new job!

If that's not possible, you'll need to speak to the agency and agree something else. I've worked in a few places where contractors have been paid 28 days after invoicing, because the finance dept can't do it any faster. It was always a lot of hassle to try and pay someone earlier than that, and it very rarely happened, so I'd be cautious unless they can guarantee it.

Is your alternative leaving and having no job, or could you line something else up fast enough to get paid in Jan?

TinklyLittleLaugh Thu 11-Dec-14 13:29:17

Ali but the OP sounds like she has a job really, don't you think? I agree that being careful with your contract means there are ways around these things. Ironically, being paid through an invoice, a couple of months in lieu, is something that helps your case with IR35. Sounds like the OP is uncomfortable with this set up anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now