Talk

Advanced search

To be upset with family over DD's birthday

(17 Posts)
Mogz Wed 10-Dec-14 19:02:55

Today was my DD's first birthday.
My dad came out with us for the day but no one else has bothered to call or get a message to us to say happy birthday.
I know she wouldn't notice, selfishly it's more for me, I've been having a tough time with PND (most of them know this) and a simple short phone call to say they're thinking of us would have done wonders for my mood.
Please someone put this in perspective for me!

ohdearitshappeningtome Wed 10-Dec-14 19:03:34

Happy birthday to your dd

WorraLiberty Wed 10-Dec-14 19:05:26

I don't think I've ever rang the parent of a baby to say happy birthday?

It's just not the sort of thing I would think to do, I don't know why though? << Ponders >>

Hope you all had a good day out fsmile

misskangaandroo2014 Wed 10-Dec-14 19:09:50

Happy Birthday to her and best wishes for you moving towards a healthy year.
I suspect seeing you at Christmas laziness is a factor. If you arrange family get togethers it might be worth one around her birthday, you'll also (hopefully) bag yourself less visiting at Christmas to get through. (A suggestion obviously, should you WANT to have a family gathering).

misskangaandroo2014 Wed 10-Dec-14 19:10:39

Obviously for another year though

HappyAgainOneDay Wed 10-Dec-14 19:13:20

Many happy returns, Miss Mogz.

twizzleship Wed 10-Dec-14 19:13:20

i would feel upset too. do they all know it was your dd birthday today because if they did then it's just plain insensitive, inconsiderate and hurtful. they didn't have to do anything other than just call you to wish your dd happy birthday.

i would wait until they talk to me and then just mmm and ahhh at everything they say and act totally disinterested. when they notice and comment on it then i'd tell them straight that i refuse to take an interest in the lives of family members who couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge dd birthday.

happy birthday to your dd from me and the cats smile

CaptainAnkles Wed 10-Dec-14 19:14:13

Happy birthday to her, hope she's had a lovely day smile

Mogz Wed 10-Dec-14 19:33:52

Thanks all.
Twizzles she looooves cats, chasing our two is The Best Game.
MissKanga I did organise a party for her last weekend, once again my dad was the only family on my side that bothered to show up. My brother didn't acknowledge his invite and my mother said she had something else on.
I doubt I'll see any of them at Christmas either unless I make the effort to travel to them, oh well, less presents to buy!

LadyLuck10 Wed 10-Dec-14 19:37:40

Yanbu I always wish the kids, regardless of how old they are. A first birthday is a big one too. Anyway hope she had a great day.

RossIsMyFavouriteFriend Wed 10-Dec-14 19:45:45

YANBU! I think 1st birthdays are special and it doesn't take much effort to call or send a quick text wishing them a happy birthday. One of my siblings did this on DS's 1st bday. Not a whisper from them until 9pm and then full of excuses that they were too busy (think martyr and you're on the right lines - their life is always tougher, more stressful, busier etc). It actually really upset me coz I thought it was unnecessary to bring a baby into game playing. But I chose to rise above it and focus my energies on the family members who had taken the time and effort to make a fuss of DS on his bday. Don't waste energy on people who are like that. It's really not worth it. Hope your DD had an amazing birthday and try and focus on all the positive memories you've created! Xxx

Bonbonbonbon Wed 10-Dec-14 19:52:06

Happy birthing day to you, Mogz.

Leeds2 Wed 10-Dec-14 20:40:43

Happy Birthday to your very grown up DD!

And good on your dad.

elliejjtiny Wed 10-Dec-14 20:53:52

Happy Birthday to your DD. Sending a big unmumsnetty hug to you. I've had PND 6 times and it's horrible.

JenniferGovernment Wed 10-Dec-14 20:55:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SabrinaMulhollandJjones Wed 10-Dec-14 20:58:55

yanbu, I would expect family to remember the 1st birthday of a close relative, and send a card at the very least.

Happy Birthday to your dd smile

ddubsgirl77 Wed 10-Dec-14 21:19:13

Happy 1st birthday xxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now