Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Whatever happened to rum and raisin ice cream?

(78 Posts)
moxon Wed 10-Dec-14 18:37:05

Or am I just trawling for ice cream parlours shopping in all the wrong places?
Any favourite/long-lost/dream flavours? I'm quite partial to a good vanilla but if you could offer me buttered popcorn, or guava, I'd seriously consider marrying you. Oooh: maybe fig and marscapone...?

ChickenMe Wed 10-Dec-14 18:39:35

It's always going on the continent. Think the Latin Europeans appreciate elaborate ice cream more than us. You don't see tutti fruiti now either. Not that I like it-I'm one for a creamy Devonshire vanilla.

TheHatInTheCat Wed 10-Dec-14 18:40:44

You don't see it cos it tastes like shit. Hth. grin

ChickenMe Wed 10-Dec-14 18:44:38

Tbh, thinking about it its a bit 80s -rum and raisin!!

Along with the afore mentioned tutti fruiti, Raspberry ripple, Neapolitan..think people are more into "authentic" nut or spice flavours now - coconut, pistache, hazelnut etc
Haagen Dazs Dulce de Leche I have only ever seen in the states. It's lovely

moxon Wed 10-Dec-14 18:45:06

Ah, yes, the Continent. The Argentines do a pretty good gelato as well.
Don't say that, cat! I haven't had it since I was a kiddie, but surely it wasn't that bad? fhmm

bigTillyMint Wed 10-Dec-14 18:47:06

It's one of my favourites - I often find it!

MrsHathaway Wed 10-Dec-14 18:47:19

The independent near my parents' does it. A.Maz.Ing.

I think the ice cream farm near ours does, too. But they also do Malteser.

GoodKingQuintless Wed 10-Dec-14 18:47:51

It is THE BEST ice cream in the world....

PeachandBlack Wed 10-Dec-14 18:49:00

Carte D'or do rum and raisin ice cream. It's ok if you're desperate.

Tykeisagirl Wed 10-Dec-14 18:49:41

The kiosk on our park sell it in the summer, it's my icecream of choice much to the disgust of DD and DH.

CMOTDibbler Wed 10-Dec-14 18:50:35

I love rum and raisin, and a couple of the local ice cream makers do it. My ds's favourite flavour is damson and sloe gin, but I am very fond of the orange marscapone from the same company.
I recently saw tutti frutti on sale in a farm shop as well, which I would have bought if it wasn't a large tub and we had to stop elsewhere on the way home.

moxon Wed 10-Dec-14 18:51:08

mrshathaway immediately divulge where you live!!! fenvy

moxon Wed 10-Dec-14 18:53:48

Oooh orange marscapone will do nicely too.
Glad to hear there are other rum and raisin nostalgics out there!

ChickenMe Wed 10-Dec-14 18:57:58

Orange mascarpone? Who makes that? Sounds lovely.

InkleWinkle Wed 10-Dec-14 18:59:24

There's an independant in Edinburgh which does it (home made!) every summer gringrin

divingoffthebalcony Wed 10-Dec-14 19:01:01

You can always get it at ice cream kiosks in seaside towns. There's also a cafe near me that sells a fab range of gelato - they do rum and raisin.

I looove rum and raisin grin

YouTheCat Wed 10-Dec-14 19:03:09

The Carte D'or one is okay.

I love rum and raisin.

MollyMaDurga Wed 10-Dec-14 19:03:58

In Holland they do a wicked 'farm boys' (boerenjongens) ice cream... sultanas soaked in brandy. It is fab and well worth hunting for.
Love the sound of orange mascarpone though!

TheSpottedZebra Wed 10-Dec-14 19:05:17

Chicken you get that dulce de lechy HE everywhere! Even the tiny tesco express stocks it near me! Maybe we just have sweet teeth round here?

CitizenOfTheWorld Wed 10-Dec-14 19:06:07

Waitrose sells Hagen Daaz Dulce de Leche

ThatCandyDontCrushItself Wed 10-Dec-14 19:06:49

I adore it! Thornton's do it and it's lovely.

Or if you're in the South Wales region Sidoli's do it. I know there are a few cafes and such that stock it?

I find it quite often to be honest...maybe the Welsh prefer it? wink

TheSpottedZebra Wed 10-Dec-14 19:07:55

Rum n raisin is preferred by an older crowd, (maybe 50+ ?) and they also don't tend to go in for the very indulgent ice creams, nor do they purchase ice cream as much as a younger audience. Hence there's not as much money in rum n raisin, as in - choc brownie flavour or similar.

CaptainAnkles Wed 10-Dec-14 19:07:56

Sainsbos do Dulce de Leche Haagen Dazs too

bigbluestars Wed 10-Dec-14 19:08:36

inklewinkle- who is that in Edinburgh? I was just thinking about rum and raisin ice cream yesterday and I have just bought a big chest freezer ( still empty) this week.

alemci Wed 10-Dec-14 19:10:25

I hate Rum and raisin, it was around in the 70s and I think I was ill after eating it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now