Talk

Advanced search

To get my dog spayed :(

(18 Posts)
Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Wed 10-Dec-14 15:29:30

I've been umming and ahh-ing about this for a few years, but I've finally booked the appt.

She's a little dog who lives outside and whenever she's in season male dogs from all over come to visit, and I have to shut her in the kennel which she hates. She had a litter (planned) a couple of years ago but ever since then it's like she's constantly in season. I think it must be stressful for her but I just can't get over the idea of subjecting her to optional surgery and pain. And what if something happened to her?

There've been a couple of pregnancy scares with her lately when massive dogs have been around and I've been so worried.

I'm being silly aren't i? Should I just get her done? Is it cruel and unreasonable to have her cut open for convenience?

Poor little thing sad

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Wed 10-Dec-14 15:30:13

First prize for most badly written OP or what....!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Dec-14 15:30:45

Get her done.

Unspayed bitches run the risk of pyometria and uterine cancers. Vets recommend spaying.

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Wed 10-Dec-14 15:33:13

I do worry about pyo especially with her having bred before.
She's booked in for next week.
I did have one nice surprise though - it's free of charge for farm dogs! Merry Christmas to Stumpy sad

CheeseBuster Wed 10-Dec-14 15:35:32

I think getting humped by random dogs and then the uncomfortable pregnancy and birth is probably more painful tbh esp if random dog is twice the size of her and puppies are giant.

rallytog1 Wed 10-Dec-14 15:35:47

You're doing it for her health, not your convenience. It really is the responsible thing to do.

SoonToBeMrsB Wed 10-Dec-14 15:38:13

Get her done. My dog had to get the snip as soon as he was old enough because he had an undescended testicle and was at risk for it twisting in his belly somewhere. I was in bits the day of his surgery (they had to open him up rather than doing the normal op) and it was upsetting seeing him so grumpy and in pain afterwards but I'm glad we bit the bullet.

It sounds like your dog could really benefit from the op, hopefully it all goes well!

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Wed 10-Dec-14 15:39:12

Very true.
I also can't really cope with our yard being turned into some kind of randy dog meeting/fighting place every few weeks.

She's in season now and she's been in, but slipped out the open door about an hour ago and hasn't been seen since. She'll pitch up eventually but I'm just worrying nonstop.
Can she still be spayed if she's been caught today? The vet is ringing me back

livelablove Wed 10-Dec-14 15:39:57

Its a very routine op for a vet and the dog is healthy so very good chance of a successful outcome. It does protect against cancers and problems in later life as well as pregnancy/difficulties with being on heat. So it is very worthwhile.

livelablove Wed 10-Dec-14 15:41:44

Oh dear hope you find her. Check with vet if it is still o.k probably is.

Themindboggles2014 Wed 10-Dec-14 15:50:56

It is absolutley the responsible thing to do, it will protect her health.

midori1999 Wed 10-Dec-14 15:59:16

I'm surprised a vet agreed to spay her next week if she is in season now tbh, it is a more risky op around the time of a season and for that reason vets usually like to spay midway between seasons. That said, a vet can agree to 'emergency' spaying to prevent a pregnancy, so they may well go ahead in any case. If she has had repeated and frequent seasons she is at higher risk of pyo anyway, so it's even more important to spay her.

However, YANBU to get her spayed, quite the opposite. It's unkind and irresponsible not to get her spayed unless you have a specific and good reason not to.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 10-Dec-14 16:19:32

For a variety of reasons we are now spaying some dogs when they are in season.
The benefits of spaying heavily out weigh the risks. You are not having her done for convenience, but to protect her health.
Unplanned litters are often disaster zones, I have been picking up the pieces of one such instance since Sunday, needed a c-section the owners have no money, so far five of the six pups have died and the one that is left is strange, well they all looked strange.

BeccadeWinter Wed 10-Dec-14 16:25:04

In my opinion you'd be unreasonable not to. It's a routine procedure and life will be much easier for her (and you) afterwards.

SunshineAndShadows Wed 10-Dec-14 17:50:58

The benefits and risks of spaying vary depending on the age and breed of the dog. However for an adult smallish healthy female the risks would be minimal. She can be spayed in season and if she's been 'caught' better that than a litter if unplanned homeless puppies

Ifyourawizardwhydouwearglasses Wed 10-Dec-14 17:59:27

Thank you so much for making me feel a bit better about it.
She's home now thank goodness.

Does anyone have any aftercare tips for us? I know the vets will go through it but would appreciate any advice.

livelablove Wed 10-Dec-14 18:40:43

As she is an outdoor dog make sure she has a warm comfy place where you can keep an eye on her, or bring her inside. She might need to wears a anti chew collar or at least keep an eye on her stitches.

fluffymouse Wed 10-Dec-14 19:58:48

Yanbu to spay her, it is for her health benefit.

However as a dog owner I am concerned the poor dog is outside, especially in this weather. Does she have a heated kennel? Is she not lonely? What breed is she? I would have thought most small dogs wouldn't be suitable to be kept outside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now