Talk

Advanced search

to not take my DS to baby clinic?

(73 Posts)
Gingerandcocoa Wed 10-Dec-14 10:20:51

to get weighed?

He's nearly 6 months old, on 91st percentile for weight, a tall healthy baby boy. He's not been weighed for 4 weeks now, and I'm reluctant to take him to baby clinic to get weighed because it's so cold outside and in the clinic. I'd have to undress him to get weighed and he's just getting over a cold. If we don't go today I can only take him in 5 weeks as we're going away next week.

How important is it to keep weighing them in the baby clinic every month? how often would you take your 6mo child to get weighed?

Jollyphonics Wed 10-Dec-14 10:23:51

I don't think I got either of my DC weighed at all at that age.

Ohwhatsoccuring Wed 10-Dec-14 10:24:46

I'm having to go back to work when my baby is 6 mths old so will not be able to weigh her after that, she will be fine.
If there are no concerns about his weight and he is thriving then I'm sure it will be ok.

SaucyJack Wed 10-Dec-14 10:24:56

I haven't had my baby weighed since she was ten days old, and she's just turned nine months.

What possible difference does it make to their welfare if you don't know to the g how much he or she weighs?

VacantExpression Wed 10-Dec-14 10:25:00

My DC3 was last "officially" weighed at 3 months....

She's now at school. If you've no concerns about weight or development or any problems yourself you'd like chance to discuss I wouldn't bother. YANBU!

WildFlowersAttractBees Wed 10-Dec-14 10:25:41

I think he will be just fine. Snuggle up and enjoy a self imposed day in the house.

CaptainAnkles Wed 10-Dec-14 10:26:05

I think I took my DS to be weighed about four times when he was a baby, and DD probably twice. It's not compulsory. You have good reasons not to take him.

Littleturkish Wed 10-Dec-14 10:27:37

I didn't do it regularly after three months as she happily followed the same line. Don't worry about it.

Hoggle246 Wed 10-Dec-14 10:30:20

I carried on for about 6 months then stopped. I asked HVs for weaning etc advice on a few occasions and it was so utterly crap I gave up! If there are no weight concerns I think it's completely fine.

Gingerandcocoa Wed 10-Dec-14 10:33:57

Thanks everyone, I feel like I'm not such a bad mother after all smile.

There are absolutely no concerns with his weight, he's quite heavy but he's also on 91st percentile for height, so he's just a tall baby...

Lazy day at home it is smile!

Artistic Wed 10-Dec-14 10:42:32

DD is now 2 months old. I've never taken her to any baby clinic to be weighed! The last check was at 2 weeks when the midwife weighed her at home. She is exclusively breast feeding & being a second time mom I can tell that she is thriving. No need to step out in this terrible weather. We only leave the house if we absolutely must! grin

Discopanda Wed 10-Dec-14 11:12:31

After 6 months you don't need to have them weighed as regularly providing they don't have any existing health conditions that would hinder them gaining weight at a 'normal' rate. Just stay inside in the warm!

EbwyIsUpTheDuff Wed 10-Dec-14 11:14:45

my second child hasn't been "officially" weighed since he was 2 months old. He's fine.

don't worry about it

ChunkyPickle Wed 10-Dec-14 11:21:55

DS1 got weighed whenever he had jabs (more efficient system, different country), so stopped being officially weighed at about 8 months.

DS2 I didn't bother with at all once we were signed off at about 6 weeks.

Actually, I lie - I happened to wander past the clinic room when he was about 8 months old and got him weighed, but they wouldn't measure him (even though he was standing just fine). I haven't bothered going back since as he's obviously doing just fine.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Wed 10-Dec-14 11:24:16

Definitely stay in, I took my ds to get weighed at 2 weeks as I was asked to, again at 4 months as I was curious and bored on the day the clinic was on, he's 16 months now and I feel no guilt.
Some people like to know, some babies aren't thriving so you may need some help,some people like having something to do and meet people when they are there.
I found it irritating and unnecessary, I'm a first time mum but just go with my instincts,the hv did phone a couple of times but hasn't come to my door to check on me, like she has with a few other people I know with babies the same age.

BauerTime Wed 10-Dec-14 11:26:39

I stopped going once the novelty factor of finding out what DS had gained since the last weigh-in had worn off, and once id satisfied myself that he was thriving (after a bad start re feeding), probably about 4 months. After that I never went back to the clinic until he was called in for a 12 month check at 15 months. I think unless you think there is a problem re weight gain then there probably isn't much point apart from it being nice to know what they weigh (I say that as a first time mum, no doubt a second child would get weighed about twice before I couldn't be arsed)

Mousefinkle Wed 10-Dec-14 11:27:18

IMO baby clinic is reserved for people who genuinely need some help and advice. I never took mine along for random weighings, the only time they got weighed was alongside their vaccinations and at the little reviews they do- think there's a nine month one, two and three year ones... I never needed any advice from the HV so didn't bother traipsing down there, ever.

BauerTime Wed 10-Dec-14 11:30:41

It is also useful as something to do and a reason to leave the house if need be. In the early days it was good practice at having to try and get somewhere at a sort of specific time.

ARandomFridayIn2012 Wed 10-Dec-14 11:34:33

Just to echo PP's, it's not compulsory. I haven't taken DC2 since he was 4 months. (he's 7 months now).

The advice at the weigh clinic on most subjects esp bf is crap so I see no point in going. I can see DC is thriving from bf/blw from how alert and happy he is and how his clothes fit.

Enjoy your lazy day in grin

PlummyBrummy Wed 10-Dec-14 13:39:37

Echoing everyone else here: my DD hasn't been weighed since she was 4 months and she's now 16 months. I just saw no point in it as it was obvious she was doing fine. HV was a bit hopeless (she missed a couple of visits due to illness, I called to rearrange and didn't hear from her again) so didn't bother with the 12 month check either. Tbh, it was yet another thing that the people in my NCT group started getting all competitive about so I was pretty much glad I didn't know DD's weight - it meant I didn't have to either lie or get stressed about whether that weight was good or bad!

ARandomFridayIn2012 Wed 10-Dec-14 13:51:33

Plummy they got competitive about weight?

Hoppinggreen Wed 10-Dec-14 13:55:20

My almost 6 year old hasn't been weighed ( other than by his big sister at home) since he was 4 months old.
Totally unnecessary in most cases IMHO
Mind you, due to cuts he hasn't seen a HV since then either!!

DinoSnores Wed 10-Dec-14 14:00:23

I've not bothered about the baby clinic at all if I was happy. I took DC1 a bit more because BFing was a real struggle initially until his tongue tie was snipped, but once weight picked up, I didn't go back. DD2 and DD3 have never been to the baby clinic.

Quietattheback Wed 10-Dec-14 14:02:52

DD is my fourth and I've only been to the clinic once since she was born and she's nearly two now.

It is not the act of weighing them that ensure growth (despite having run into a HV that seemed to think otherwise), don't bother if you don't fancy it your little one will be right.

Girlwhowearsglasses Wed 10-Dec-14 14:06:38

You can always weigh them yourself. I used to do that with DTs as it was such an absolute bastard taking them to the clinic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now